Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

Originally Posted by sambhodi
Thanks Rene for this and the replies above. Clear, concise and helpful. Yes, it seems the 85 days is the safest option at the moment anyway.
With the declaration on the ESTA, previously I have done this after booking my flight tickets. Given that the ESTA is not as sure this time because of the prior denial, would you recommend applying for it before getting tickets if it is possible or otherwise insuring for cancellation of this nature again if possible? Otherwise I could be looking at yet another expensive denial.
I also understand that there is process to appeal if the ESTA is not granted? Can you confirm this to be the case?
Do you have an approved ESTA? If not that would be your next step.

No appeal, just try again or go for a B.

By the way, I have the same UK ties as you do.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

sambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do you have an approved ESTA? If not that would be your next step.

No appeal, just try again or go for a B.

By the way, I have the same UK ties as you do.
Hi again David, well I did have an approved ESTA since I visited the States last July for teachings but I understand that I will have to apply again since the visa application was denied. I was thinking that return plane tickets would help with the ESTA as evidence of date of return but I am not sure about this and it is an expensive risk. Any ideas?
Ah and I see that you said before that you'd had a B2 denied but then went on the VWP with no problems. Was this after or before ESTA came into play?

Last edited by sambhodi; Nov 30th 2010 at 10:31 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again David, well I did have an approved ESTA since I visited the States last July for teachings but I understand that I will have to apply again since the visa application was denied. I was thinking that return plane tickets would help with the ESTA as evidence of date of return but I am not sure about this and it is an expensive risk. Any ideas?
A return plane ticket is a requirement of traveling on the VWP anyway, but I recommend not making the actual purchase of tickets until you have an approved ESTA.

Double check whether the ESTA asks about previous visa denials.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

sambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A return plane ticket is a requirement of traveling on the VWP anyway, but I recommend not making the actual purchase of tickets until you have an approved ESTA.

Double check whether the ESTA asks about previous visa denials.

Rene
Yes they do ask about previous visa denials.
Is the ESTA system not linked to the airlines computer systems so they know whether the flights have been purchased, or is that too Orwellian even for the US consulate?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do ask about previous visa denials.
Is the ESTA system not linked to the airlines computer systems so they know whether the flights have been purchased, or is that too Orwellian even for the US consulate?
A ticket is NOT a requirement for getting your ESTA clearance.
Since it is valid for two years, just think about it.

The only way you will know is to re-do your ESTA application and see what it says.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 10:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Originally Posted by meauxna
I only said that having a return ticket in hand is a requirement for VWP travel (not for ESTA clearance), which meauxna agreed with.

So no, you don't need to have purchased the return ticket in order to complete ESTA. You have to have it by the time you land at the POE.

Rene
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Ah and I see that you said before that you'd had a B2 denied but then went on the VWP with no problems. Was this after or before ESTA came into play?
Mine was before ESTA.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Since it is valid for two years, just think about it.

The only way you will know is to re-do your ESTA application and see what it says.
Thanks that's very helpful.
Do you mean 'think about it' in terms of taking care in actually completing the form or in some other sense?
I do not plan to look for employment until next September when the short-term lease ends on my flat in London and I go back to live there. The original plan to continue to practice and study full time until then, is still very much in place and I will be staying at Buddhist centres in Europe for this purpose. Do you think my unemployed status will mean it is unlikely that I will get the ESTA during this time?
Would I improve my chances by waiting 6 months until after the date of the visa denial which was in September just gone?
If you apply and it is denied does this mitigate you chances of success on the next application?

Last edited by sambhodi; Dec 1st 2010 at 7:30 am.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think my unemployed status will mean it is unlikely that I will get the ESTA during this time?
You need to separate ESTA from the VWP... they're linked, but they're not the same. ESTA gets you onto the plane... but it's the VWP that get's you past the border officer. ESTA doesn't ask whether or not you're employed. However, when you show up at the border, the officer might ask if you're employed... and if you're not, it could well go against you.

Would I improve my chances by waiting 6 months until after the date of the visa denial which was in September just gone?
I'm surprised no one else chimed in about this. I've already given you my thoughts on it.

If you apply and it is denied does this mitigate you chances of success on the next application?
No.

Ian
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need to separate ESTA from the VWP... they're linked, but they're not the same. ESTA gets you onto the plane... but it's the VWP that get's you past the border officer. ESTA doesn't ask whether or not you're employed. However, when you show up at the border, the officer might ask if you're employed... and if you're not, it could well go against you.

I'm surprised no one else chimed in about this. I've already given you my thoughts on it.

No.

Ian
Hi Ian, thanks so much again for this. Apologies for being repetitive.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Does a refused Visa trigger the need to update ESTA?

Never done ESTA but I did not think that was the case?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:22 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. According to the Fact Sheet, you need to reapply for ESTA if "the circumstances underlying the traveler's previous responses to any of the ESTA applications questions requiring a "yes" or "no" response have changed"

http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trav...sheet_esta.pdf
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Never done ESTA but I did not think that was the case?
Definitely, or there wouldn't be any point!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Definitely, or there wouldn't be any point!
Just to say a big fat thank-you to all of you for helping clarify these questions for me. Really invaluable support, hugely appreciated.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:35 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

This forum is pretty good. The information isn't always 100%, but it's better than the flyertalk forum that I posted a question about hotel points. It's been 6 weeks without a single response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.