Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

Originally Posted by sambhodi

I wonder if I would have more joy applying from Asia where spiritual motivation is not regarded with such suspicion?

Actually I raised my eyebrows when I read that you've been planning to go to a Buddhist retreat in New York...

I would have thought that a Buddhist retreat in Thailand, parts of India or China would have been more of a likely destination....maybe even Laos or Burma (Myanmar) although visas would most likely be more difficult to get. There are almost certainly English-speaking retreats throughout Asia, particularly South East Asia.

It would be more atmospheric for sure in Indo-China as Buddhism is practised in daily life, whereas it would be seen more as an oddity and not practised amongst the wider community in NY......it's a wonderful sight to see a group of Buddhist monks taking a stroll in their orange robes in Thailand - and lovely and warm in the tropics too ....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

sambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nice
Default Re: B2 US visa denied for Buddhist Retreat

[QUOTE=ian-mstm;9012547]While others may agree, I do not.

Where in Asia? Are you from there or have sufficient status there to warrant them allowing you to file?

Ian[/QUOTE)

Hi Ian, thanks for this...No I am uk born and bred but I have a friend who is a Tibetan Buddhist monk from New Zealand who managed to get a R1 in Thailand. That was in 2006 and things may have changed. Also I admit complete ignorance. I simply do not know how the system works. But I get what you are saying that essentially you need to have a certain status within a country to put in an application. Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

sambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Actually I raised my eyebrows when I read that you've been planning to go to a Buddhist retreat in New York...

I would have thought that a Buddhist retreat in Thailand, parts of India or China would have been more of a likely destination....maybe even Laos or Burma (Myanmar) although visas would most likely be more difficult to get. There are almost certainly English-speaking retreats throughout Asia, particularly South East Asia.

It would be more atmospheric for sure in Indo-China as Buddhism is practised in daily life, whereas it would be seen more as an oddity and not practised amongst the wider community in NY......it's a wonderful sight to see a group of Buddhist monks taking a stroll in their orange robes in Thailand - and lovely and warm in the tropics too ....
It would to be great to go to the sunny Isles of Thailand, Burma. However, the thing is my teacher, a refugee Tibetan Buddhist master lives in New York Hudson, its upstate New York. When you have a strong connection with a really sound teacher, with a very pure unbroken lineage, there isn't much choice but to do everything you can to follow as closely as possible his guidance and instructions. Hense researching the possibility of longer visits to the States for retreat purposes where I can practice under his supervision.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:52 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you presented it like you were doing religious vocational training similar to those who attend a seminary school. Perhaps the purpose of your entry appeared to be for vocational training and not merely as an adherent to the religious group. That may have been the problem.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
It sounds like you presented it like you were doing religious vocational training similar to those who attend a seminary school. Perhaps the purpose of your entry appeared to be for vocational training and not merely as an adherent to the religious group. That may have been the problem.
Maybe they interpreted it that way but I didn't indicate vocational training of any kind, in the sense of training for an occupation which would receive financial reward, and made it clear that it was tibetan buddhist centre where my teacher lives and teaches. He asked what I was going to do there I said, sit... a lot. I don't think that helped since he didn't understand that the training involves mastering one's mind. I also don't think it helped that I didn't have some kind of formal letter from the centre itself in support of the application and what you say makes me think this more. Thanks a lot for your input.
One more point, the CO I dealt with went off very quickly to ask for advice. He didn't ask me many questions before he went. He was away some time and when he came back he dived straight into the computer without so much as looking at me...Finally, he gave me the decision. There didn't seem to be much space for explanation in the situation I was presented.

Last edited by sambhodi; Nov 30th 2010 at 4:17 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One more point, the CO I dealt with went off very quickly to ask for advice. He didn't ask me many questions before he went. He was away some time and when he came back he dived straight into the computer without so much as looking at me...Finally, he gave me the decision. There didn't seem to be much space for explanation in the situation I was presented.
I have heard that the ConOff already has a decision in mind, and just needs to "see" you in person to confirm the pre-decision.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hudson, New York is not quite upstate but up north of NYC anyway.

Quite a lovely area that I am familiar with having friends from this forum that live in Hudson, NY and other friends who live just south of there.

Actually I now remember that there is such a retreat on route 259 (or is the 295) which goes from Hudson NY to the town of Pittsford, Massachusetts. It is a relatively new venture I believe as I've only see the sign the last year or two. Believe it is the town of Caanan, NY

It would to be great to go to the sunny Isles of Thailand, Burma. However, the thing is my teacher, a refugee Tibetan Buddhist master lives in New York Hudson, its upstate New York. When you have a strong connection with a really sound teacher, with a very pure unbroken lineage, there isn't much choice but to do everything you can to follow as closely as possible his guidance and instructions. Hense researching the possibility of longer visits to the States for retreat purposes where I can practice under his supervision.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 30th 2010 at 4:35 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I have heard that the ConOff already has a decision in mind, and just needs to "see" you in person to confirm the pre-decision.

Rene
That was my experience and from what I have read the vast majority of others.

Still think it was a standard B refusal.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Hudson, New York is not quite upstate but up north of NYC anyway.

Quite a lovely area that I am familiar with having friends from this forum that live in Hudson, NY and other friends who live just south of there.

Actually I now remember that there is such a retreat on route 259 (or is the 295) which goes from Hudson NY to the town of Pittsford, Massachusetts. It is a relatively new venture I believe as I've only see the sign the last year or two. Believe it is the town of Caanan, NY
Hi Rete, actually its on Route 81. I think there are a number of Buddhist centres in the area and yes it is lovely around there too, near Greenville. Oh, not Upstate, I thought you said that just to distinguish from NYC. Apologies.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
That was my experience and from what I have read the vast majority of others.

Still think it was a standard B refusal.
Thanks for your frank response.
Do you think this standard B refusal was more to do with my lack of obvious ties to the UK in terms of no spouse/children/job or the peculiarity of the purpose of my visit or both?
Do you agree with the suggestion that an attorney could successfully help explain to the consulate that this is not a standard B application?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess, I was not there, you might have a better view:

No obvious ties

I think it is a standard B application, you want to go for more than 90 days of the VWP.

In your case you want to go to a retreat, more normally the reason we see here is that they want to travel the country. Both can be described as expanding ones mind, life changing experiences.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
My guess, I was not there, you might have a better view:

No obvious ties

I think it is a standard B application, you want to go for more than 90 days of the VWP.

In your case you want to go to a retreat, more normally the reason we see here is that they want to travel the country. Both can be described as expanding ones mind, life changing experiences.
Thanks again.
If I gave more information about my family, 80 year old mum photos etc, ongoing connections with UK institutions such as letters saying I'm a member of the community and had the leasehold contract for my flat perhaps this would help?
Otherwise its a bit of a catch 22 since if I had ties of job and spouse etc, I wouldn't be free to do a retreat.
Is a B2 always restricted to 6 months? You mentioned before that if I wanted to do 3 years I would have to look elsewhere. Did you mean geographically or in terms of visa type?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If I gave more information about my family, 80 year old mum photos etc,
These won't help.

ongoing connections with UK institutions such as letters saying I'm a member of the community
Only if you've registered for classes or something that you NEED to return to, on a specific date.

and had the leasehold contract for my flat perhaps this would help?
Not sure what a leasehold contract is, but at least it shows you own property...but you need to show a NEED to return to it by a certain date.

Otherwise its a bit of a catch 22 since if I had ties of job and spouse etc, I wouldn't be free to do a retreat.
Yes, that is the main problem anyone has when they want to stay that long in the USA.

Is a B2 always restricted to 6 months?
No, sometimes it's less. I don't think I've ever seen it longer than 6.

You mentioned before that if I wanted to do 3 years I would have to look elsewhere. Did you mean geographically or in terms of visa type?
Geographically.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:30 pm

If the retreat is something he does yearly, maybe you can do 85 days this year, and 85 days next year, on the VWP. That seems the safest route...although now you have to declare the visa denial on ESTA.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the retreat is something he does yearly, maybe you can do 85 days this year, and 85 days next year, on the VWP. That seems the safest route...although now you have to declare the visa denial on ESTA.

Rene
Thanks Rene for this and the replies above. Clear, concise and helpful. Yes, it seems the 85 days is the safest option at the moment anyway.
With the declaration on the ESTA, previously I have done this after booking my flight tickets. Given that the ESTA is not as sure this time because of the prior denial, would you recommend applying for it before getting tickets if it is possible or otherwise insuring for cancellation of this nature again if possible? Otherwise I could be looking at yet another expensive denial.
I also understand that there is process to appeal if the ESTA is not granted? Can you confirm this to be the case?

Last edited by sambhodi; Nov 30th 2010 at 9:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.