B2 to PR

Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 to PR

Originally Posted by Eric S
It seems like most of this thread is a discussion of the B-2 cohabiting partner visa. I'm not sure if that's what you intended when you asked the original question or not. But I'm going to answer your original question.

Yes, it's possible to change from one status to another while in the US. It's called Adjustment of Status (AOS). So, among other things, you can adjust from B2 to PR. But there has to be a legitimate reason. You can't just enter on a B-2 and arbitrarily decide to adjust. There has to be a basis. For example, you meet a US citizen while you're here on the B-2 and get married. You can adjust your status based on the marriage to a US citizen.

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but the bottom line is that an AOS has to be based on some change in your circumstances. Not just because you want to.

- Eric S.
I totally agree Eric. My point is that one could have the intention of getting a job in the US and get a B2 to help that process. Also, in this specific example we are talking about a same sex couple who cannot get married (in USCIS's eyes). I am at a loss as to how a same sex couple can get PR out of a B2.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I will re-read the original thread but I cannot for the life of me see how that couple is going to live together for the duration of the H-1B unless as I say above, the B2 holder is a millionaire and can essentially stay on permanent holiday in Texas.
Well, I haven't read this entire thread that thoroughly either. But as far as the B-2 cohabiting partner visa, the trick is that when the person with the B-2 enters, they get a stay of 6 months. But they are allowed to apply for an extension at the end of the 6 months to allow them to stay an additional 6 months. They keep doing that continually for as long as they need to stay with the partner who is on the L-1, H-1B, etc. That's what makes the cohabiting partner visa a "special" B-2.

- Eric S.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree Eric. My point is that one could have the intention of getting a job in the US and get a B2 to help that process. Also, in this specific example we are talking about a same sex couple who cannot get married (in USCIS's eyes). I am at a loss as to how a same sex couple can get PR out of a B2.
Looks like our replies crossed.

I can't see how a person, who is here on the B-2 cohabiting partner visa, can get a PR out of it either. Unless, as I said, something in their circumstances changes which allows them to AOS. And if they are a same sex couple, it's not going to be marriage.

- Eric S.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the original thread this has been taken from, but to answer this question...

Yes, you can have the intention of getting a job in the USA, and get a B2 to come to the USA to attend interviews and submit resumes. If you get lucky and an employer wants to sponsor you, then you go back home and re-enter with the H1B when you get it. No problem there.

A same-sex couple cannot get PR status from a B2. End of story.

One of the partners, if they are in the USA on a work visa, can have their partner come over on a B-2 as a co-habitating partner. The one working in the USA (on an H1B or whatever) could eventually get PR status through his/her employer. But the same-sex co-habitating partner never can get PR status at all. And I doubt they'd be able to stay forever on a B-2 as well, because that's supposed to be of a temporary nature. I imagine if they want to stay together, eventually they'd both go back home.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I will re-read the original thread but I cannot for the life of me see how that couple is going to live together for the duration of the H-1B unless as I say above, the B2 holder is a millionaire and can essentially stay on permanent holiday in Texas.
Spouses of H1b visa holders get an H4 visa which does not allow them to work - so being a partner on a B2 makes no difference from an economic point of view.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere;
My husband was on an L1 - I was L2. I was allowed to apply for employment authisation on an L2 - but my personal circumstances meant I didnt do that (pregnant and with 2 other small kids) So I was and still am totally supported by my DH. We are not millionaires either (bot by any stretch of the imagination) - so it is entirely possible that one worker can support his family!

And for that matter EVERY H1B spouse cannot work and are thus supported by their spouse for the duration of the stay - so your concept that it cant be done unless you are a millionaire is just plain rubbish.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:33 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

this thread seems to be in reference to my situation. I see no difference in me going out to work every day and my partner not working, than the millions of other couples where only one partner works. I will be more than able to support her financially (I do it now anyway), no need to be a millionaire (although it would be nice!).
There are plenty of things she will be able to do to keep busy like volounteering at the local animal shelter and getting involved with the local gay community.

As far as becoming a PR is concerened, at this point in time we both know it's unlikely but you never know what the future holds, laws can change, but lets not run before we can crawl we still have to apply for her B2 which in itself is complicated but not impossible.

anyway enough jabbering, I have cases to pack
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryl
this thread seems to be in reference to my situation. I see no difference in me going out to work every day and my partner not working, than the millions of other couples where only one partner works. I will be more than able to support her financially (I do it now anyway), no need to be a millionaire (although it would be nice!).
There are plenty of things she will be able to do to keep busy like volounteering at the local animal shelter and getting involved with the local gay community.

As far as becoming a PR is concerened, at this point in time we both know it's unlikely but you never know what the future holds, laws can change, but lets not run before we can crawl we still have to apply for her B2 which in itself is complicated but not impossible.

anyway enough jabbering, I have cases to pack
I don't think anyone was making the point that you couldn't support your partner - I think it was more about how permanent residency for her would kind of be impossible unless she managed to get hold of her own work-based visa into the US. But as you say, you're taking it one step at a time and it is a miserable process, as I think this thread makes clear.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a PR your partner would not be eligible for a long stay B2.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
As a PR your partner would not be eligible for a long stay B2.
But she might be eligible for a long-stay B2 independently, if she had the funds, no?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

But she might be eligible for a long-stay B2 independently, if she had the funds, no?
No