Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

Son is 17 years old. Currently holds a UK passport only and Greencard. Both parents British born, naturalized US Citizens. Both parents have US passports. All currently staying in the UK. Want to apply for US passport for son here in the UK. How do we do it?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Son is 17 years old. Currently holds a UK passport only and Greencard. Both parents British born, naturalized US Citizens. Both parents have US passports. All currently staying in the UK. Want to apply for US passport for son here in the UK. How do we do it?
How is the son managing to keep his PR status, if the whole family is living in the UK? What ties does he have to the USA?

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How is the son managing to keep his PR status, if the whole family is living in the UK? What ties does he have to the USA?

Rene
Wouldn't he have become a US citizen the day they naturalised?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wouldn't he have become a US citizen the day they naturalised?
Oh, maybe. I got confused between wanting to get him US citizenship, and just simply applying for the passport.

They say he has a green card, they didn't say he's a USC.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, maybe. I got confused between wanting to get him US citizenship, and just simply applying for the passport.

They say he has a green card, they didn't say he's a USC.

Rene
I think if he was living in the US and was under 18 when they naturalised he automatically becomes a USC.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Perhaps the child is a US citizen and he doesn't have to maintain his PR. He could have became a citizen by act of law when his parents naturalized.

US Passport Services in the UK: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...rts/index.html

USA Gypsies, you will have to read the details or post more about why you think your son is a US citizen.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Looking back through the OP's posts she has stated that he is a USC...so I don't know why she mentioned the GC. Take a look at post #1.

Rete told her in post #2 and JAJ in post # 5 that the 17yr old should have a US PP before they left the US.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...53#post7771053

Saying that shouldn't the 17 yr old and any other children that are USC's have left the US using a US PP?

Don't forget he will be required to sign up for Selective Service on his 18th birthday.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 15th 2009 at 5:58 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

I believe our son became a USC automatically the day his Dad and I Naturalized as he was under 18, however we did not have the opportunity to get his US passport or apply for a certificate of citizenship before we had to return to the UK. We went to the post office with all of our US passport applications but the clerk would not send our applications all together as she said that each application must be processed seperately and of course there is only one original naturalization certificate so it had to go with our own applications and she said it was against the law to make a copy of it for our sons application so said we could not apply for his. By the time we received our passports and Original Naturalization certificates back there was no time to apply for our sons US passport. We have been in the UK for 2 months and I want to get his US passport. I was told it wouldn't be a problem getting it here and I'm really hoping I haven't been misinformed!!
Can it be done here in the UK at the American Embassy in London as I was led to believe or as a first time application must it be done in the USA? he will be 18 in May and I'm wondering if that could pose it's own issue if we don't get this sorted quickly. just when I thought our days with DHS were over!
I am wondering if we will need to send our son to the USA to apply for his US passport there.

Last edited by USAGypsies; Nov 15th 2009 at 5:46 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I believe our son became a USC automatically the day his Dad and I Naturalized as he was under 18, however we did not have the opportunity to get his US passport or apply for a certificate of citizenship before we had to return to the UK. We went to the post office with all of our US passport applications but the clerk would not send our applications all together as she said that each application must be processed seperately and of course there is only one original naturalization certificate so it had to go with our own applications and she said it was against the law to make a copy of it for our sons application so said we could not apply for his. By the time we received our passports and Original Naturalization certificates back there was no time to apply for our sons US passport. We have been in the UK for 2 months and I want to get his US passport. I was told it wouldn't be a problem getting it here and I'm really hoping I haven't been misinformed!!
Can it be done here in the UK at the American Embassy in London as I was led to believe or as a first time application must it be done in the USA? he will be 18 in May and I'm wondering if that could pose it's own issue if we don't get this sorted quickly. just when I thought our days with DHS were over!
I am wondering if we will need to send our son to the USA to apply for his US passport there.
We had a young man post on here earlier in the year...he was an USC through his father and didn't realise it. He applied and got his first US PP while living in the UK.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking back through the OP's posts she has stated that he is a USC...so I don't know why she mentioned the GC. Take a look at post #1.

Rete told her in post #2 and JAJ in post # 5 that the 17yr old should have a US PP before they left the US.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...53#post7771053

Saying that shouldn't the 17 yr old and any other children that are USC's have left the US using a US PP?

USAGypsies...read through your old thread (linked about)...you've already been told how and what information you will have to provide to obtain a US PP for your children.

Don't forget he will be required to sign up for Selective Service on his 18th birthday.
We managed to get the US passports for 4 of us before leaving the USA however due to the problem I explained in my post above, we had no choice to leave without our 17 year olds passport. We could not apply for the N-600 as we would have needed to remain in the US until after a certificate of cit'ship was issued and we had to return to the UK.
So now I have the dilemma of needing to find the best way to obtain the US passport for our 17 year old. I was told that it could be obtained from the US embassy in london in the same way it could be in the USA however when I read the information on their site it does not mention using parents naturalization certificates as proof of the childs citizenship and now I am worried that the parents naturalization documents can only be used for an application that is made within the USA. Can anyone give insight on this specific concern?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

We had a young man post on here earlier in the year...he was an USC through his father and didn't realise it. He applied and got his first US PP while living in the UK.
I will try to search for his thread.... thanks
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I believe our son became a USC automatically the day his Dad and I Naturalized as he was under 18, however we did not have the opportunity to get his US passport or apply for a certificate of citizenship before we had to return to the UK. We went to the post office with all of our US passport applications but the clerk would not send our applications all together as she said that each application must be processed seperately and of course there is only one original naturalization certificate so it had to go with our own applications and she said it was against the law to make a copy of it for our sons application so said we could not apply for his.
You got faulty information from the acceptance clerk.

By the time we received our passports and Original Naturalization certificates back there was no time to apply for our sons US passport. We have been in the UK for 2 months and I want to get his US passport. I was told it wouldn't be a problem getting it here and I'm really hoping I haven't been misinformed!!
You were and you weren't. It's solvable though.

I just posted the link for you.
This is nothing to do with DHS now; you're in the hands of the State Dept.

He doesn't have to go to the US to apply.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I will try to search for his thread.... thanks
Sorry I can't remember his name...he wanted to come to the US to propose to his UK girlfriend. They came here in July...he proposed and she accepted. Maybe someone will remember his name.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

AmEmbassy has an "ACS" section which takes passport applications. I believe you will have to pay the "complicated application" fee.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I read the information on their site it does not mention using parents naturalization certificates as proof of the childs citizenship and now I am worried that the parents naturalization documents can only be used for an application that is made within the USA. Can anyone give insight on this specific concern?
Their website is far from complete in this regard. Make the appointment at ACS and drag all the paperwork down. They'll sort it eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.