B1 interview this week

Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B1 interview this week

Originally Posted by supercat68
Well I've never done such a long trip before or applied for a visa. I'm almost regretting asking now as some of this hostility is really unnecessary.
I am not sure the B is the appropriate visa, have you discussed this with the Companies Immigration Lawyer?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:58 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've never done such a long trip before or applied for a visa. I'm almost regretting asking now as some of this hostility is really unnecessary.
Hi Supercat, I do wish you well. I know from personal experience that long-distance relationships are horrible, and plenty more expats here can empathize.

Please see cynicism here as good prep for making a solid case for your visa. You might not even get a chance to discuss it with your interviewer, but I'd imagine the number one question is...

Why not the VWP?
Can't you fly in and out for these conferences/meetings?
Even with the costs of flights, surely that would be more economical for your company than supporting you living in the US in between assignments?

If it is genuinely a six-month business trip, at the express wish of your employer, I'd expect them to cover all travel, all accommodation, all insurance, and give you a per diem, in addition to your salary. Otherwise, what's your status? On a personal trip and doing them some favors, or maybe being compensated for conferences as and when? I know you can do touristy things on the B1, but, if you're applying for the visa in the context of the business trip, then surely most of the trip should be business?

Does your boss's letter state anything binding about financials? Purely personal opinion, but I feel that's important. Without that, there's always the possibility that your boss is kindly rubber-stamping your six-month trip with his letter and itineraries.

(Since your boss was already willing for you to take a sabbatical until October, it's no skin off his nose, especially if you do go to those conferences/meetings. Your boss doesn't need to pay for multiple flights, etc, and you get to be with your boyfriend; it's a perfectly common-sense agreement, but it doesn't really fit with visa requirements.)

These are just the kind of questions that occur to me when reading your posts. Of course, everyone here is reading with a particular context; we know your first post, three days ago, was about being desperate to return to your boyfriend in California, and that you'd applied for a B2 visa purely to stay with him six months longer. So, yes, that does cause cynicism when, very quickly, the six months vacation becomes a business trip.

But... stranger things have happened, and I have no idea about your work situation, so I don't want to be too cynical.

Just remember that when you apply for this visa you'll be facing a different kind of cynicism: the automatic assumption that you have immigrant intent, and the challenge for you to prove otherwise.

Good luck. I'll think positive thoughts
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:11 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that people aren't just siding with your version of events is not an indication of hostility. If that is your way of thinking then you need to be aware that you could potentially face even further "hostility" from the consular officer who interviews you for the visa. They aren't just automatically going to believe your story, and you will be asked some quite serious and probing questions. You are unlikely to get the visa unless you can satisfy the officer 100% that your intentions are honest.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Did you have the interview today in the end? How was it?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Did you have the interview today in the end?
The interview was probably more of a face-to-face thing... rather than, well... your suggestion!

How was it?
Now that is a loaded question!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum!

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:20 am
Account Closed

I am semi fascinated as well.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:58 am
Just Joined

supercat68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got the B1 no problem!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Got the B1 no problem!
Congratulations!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:04 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Got the B1 no problem!
Wow, that's good news! Glad it all worked out.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:10 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Got the B1 no problem!
Well done!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Got the B1 no problem!
I don't believe you! I think you're just saying this so that you don't have to admit that things went belly up on you!

Of course, I could be wrong... but I don't think so!

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

sloopjohnb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I believe you and I think that is fab!

Not everything is doom and gloom, geez!

I think some people wanted you to fail so badly just to prove them right
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sloopjohnb
I think some people wanted you to fail so badly just to prove them right
How amusing, but your premise is faulty! I really don't want her to fail, and I don't care if I'm right... but it'd be nice to get the truth - which I don't think we're getting. Once you've hung around the forum for more than a day, you'll find that people say all sorts of things to save face! It's not uncommon at all.

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Got the B1 no problem!
It would be helpful for others if you could post your interview experience in more detail. Did they ask to see the documents from your employer? What kind of questions did they ask? Did you get a 10-year, multiple-entry visa, or something shorter? Did they ask anything about why you switched from an initial B-2 interview to a B-1 interview?

I haven't seen too many people in your situation who came out successfully, so it will be very helpful to have your experience on the forum for others who come along in the same situation.

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

For my B2 it was very quick, 3 questions none of which were of consequence, no documentation asked for.

From my observations during the long wait it seems usually a done deal before you get to the window.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.