B1 interview this week

Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

supercat68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B1 interview this week

Following my other thread I have now changed my application for a B2 to a B1 which was a very simple procedure although I had to fill out a new DS-160.

I have a copy of my rental lease, bank statements, mobile phone bills, employers brochures, press releases, company records, letter saying they want to send me to the US for 6 months to look into opening a us branch and gain a good business client base there and that I will resume my position in the london office on Oct 29th 2012. I have a business card (with a US mobile number on it - PAYG so clients can contact a local number) and every other piece of paper that can help my case!

Should I show that I have booked a return flight? I don't want to appear too cocky by booking a flight ahead of time but on the other hand would a return flight from the US to the UK help my case?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1 interview this week

Don't book the flight until you know what the outcome of the interview is. And be prepared for the fact that you may not even get a chance to show all that documentary evidence.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

god - what is the point of having these visas if they wont give them to anyone??
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supercat68
Following my other thread I have now changed my application for a B2 to a B1 which was a very simple procedure although I had to fill out a new DS-160.
I thought you said you called the embassy and your appointment was already set for a B1 / B2? So you called again, after that, and they actually did change it?

Should I show that I have booked a return flight? I don't want to appear too cocky by booking a flight ahead of time but on the other hand would a return flight from the US to the UK help my case?
If you want to make a refundable reservation (or buy a refundable ticket), you can do that. I don't think it will help nor hurt your case, though. Personally I wouldn't buy a ticket until I had the visa in hand.

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

god - what is the point of having these visas if they wont give them to anyone??
They do give them out. They are just very hard to get. All you can do is try.

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

They do give B visas to people. I have one. But for most British people the VWP is considered sufficient.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I thought you said you called the embassy and your appointment was already set for a B1 / B2? So you called again, after that, and they actually did change it?

Rene
I said I had applied for a B2 interview but actually needed a B1 and they said no problem as all the interviews are for B1/B2. I just had to change the DS-160.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
They do give B visas to people. I have one. But for most British people the VWP is considered sufficient.
can you give me any advice based on your experience?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:09 pm

I said I had applied for a B2 interview but actually needed a B1 and they said no problem as all the interviews are for B1/B2. I just had to change the DS-160.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

B visas are usually granted as dual class B1/B2 and the final determination of status happens at the POE, dependent on what you tell the CBP officer. They will endorse the entry stamp in the passport with either B1 or B2.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They will and do...to those who qualify.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

i don't know why I wouldn't. I have been in and out of the us a lot recently but 1 was a business trip with a previous company, 2 were holidays and this one has been a business and holiday trip. now my company want me to do 5-6 months here to establish their client base in LA.

:f ingerscrossed:
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

can you give me any advice based on your experience?
My experience is different to yours inasmuch as I needed a B visa because I'm not allowed to use the VWP. You are allowed to use the VWP however, and that is the major hurdle you will need to overcome.

As far as the interview goes, my advice is just to stay calm and answer all the questions honestly. If you don't understand something, ask the officer to explain more fully. I would say first and foremost that you should avoid seeming pushy, over-confident or cocky. It might be better to appear fairly humble. You are expecting them to do you a favour after all.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

the reason work wanted me to apply for the B1 was so i could spend longer than 90 days where which is needed to establish a brand new company.

i will be absolutely humble, polite and try not to appear desperate!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

the reason work wanted me to apply for the B1 was so i could spend longer than 90 days where which is needed to establish a brand new company.

i will be absolutely humble, polite and try not to appear desperate!
I have no idea exactly what questions you will be asked. But a big part of it is going to involve you giving a sound and convincing justification for requiring more than the 90 days allowed on the VWP in order to accomplish the tasks you/the company have in mind.

You may also be asked about your previous US trips as well. Remember only to answer the specific questions with specific answers. Do not evade the questions, but certainly do not elaborate or offer up extraneous details in order to appear "more helpful". Just answer the questions as straightforwardly as you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.