Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for a US visa....in the US

Applying for a US visa....in the US

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Easto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a US visa....in the US

Dear All,

I am a University academic and am currently applying for positions in the US. I am fairly confident I will secure a position at my choice of institution but will need to travel for an interview (and attend others while there). My girlfriend (US citizen) lives in the city where I am applying for jobs and thus I am staying with her during my stay.

What I would like to know is, can I apply for my US visa (H-1B) while I am in the US (i.e. on my 3 month tourist visa) or do i have to travel back to the UK to get the visa and then back to the US once I have secured it?

Many thanks

Easto
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a US visa....in the US

Originally Posted by Easto
Dear All,

I am a University academic and am currently applying for positions in the US. I am fairly confident I will secure a position at my choice of institution but will need to travel for an interview (and attend others while there). My girlfriend (US citizen) lives in the city where I am applying for jobs and thus I am staying with her during my stay.

What I would like to know is, can I apply for my US visa (H-1B) while I am in the US (i.e. on my 3 month tourist visa) or do i have to travel back to the UK to get the visa and then back to the US once I have secured it?

Many thanks

Easto
I believe the H1b paperwork can be processed whilst you are in the US, but you will need to go to a US Consulate abroad for visa stamping.

Make sure you maintain status at all times.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Elvira, much appreciated. I fully intend to relocate to the US permanently so I won't do anything to endanger this and will ensure I am in status at all times. I will be booking a return flight from the UK to the US so that if my visa hasn't been secured within my 3 month tourist visa period, I will travel back to the Uk until it has.

Slainte,

Easto
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Elvira, much appreciated. I fully intend to relocate to the US permanently so I won't do anything to endanger this and will ensure I am in status at all times. I will be booking a return flight from the UK to the US so that if my visa hasn't been secured within my 3 month tourist visa period, I will travel back to the Uk until it has.

Slainte,

Easto
I assume you are referring to the Visa Waiver Program - this is not a visa.

And it's 90 days, not 3 months.

Be sure to be able to demonstrate ongoing ties to the UK ONLY if asked at the POE.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the tips. Yes I meant the waiver program and I did know it was 90 days! Good point about the resume etc, I will mail them to my gf before I travel. Should I say I'm travelling for an interview or just to see my girlfriend?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:28 pm
Homebody

...Should I say I'm travelling for an interview or just to see my girlfriend?
I see 2 potential red flags there...
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Going for interview and visiting a fiend in the US are both perfectly legitimate thing to do under the VWP.

If that is what you are doing, and you are asked the purpose of your visit, then say so.

If you are not asked, then don't.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What I would like to know is, can I apply for my US visa (H-1B)
You don't apply ..your employer does ....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about the resume etc, I will mail them to my gf before I travel. Should I say I'm travelling for an interview or just to see my girlfriend?
Mailing paperwork won't do you any good, as if they are going to question you about your attempted entry you won't get as far as seeing your girlfriend. You need to have any proof of ties on your person at the point of entry.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Going for interview and visiting a fiend in the US are both perfectly legitimate thing to do under the VWP.

If that is what you are doing, and you are asked the purpose of your visit, then say so.

If you are not asked, then don't.
Everyone travelling on the VWP is asked for the purpose of their visit, since officer needs to know if you are travelling for business or pleasure. So it's ok to say "pleasure". If they ask any more questions you should tell the truth, but if you mention girlfriends or wanting to look for a job, be prepared for a trip to secondary and possibly being denied entry if you can't convince them that you'll be going back soon.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marocco
Everyone travelling on the VWP is asked for the purpose of their visit, since officer needs to know if you are travelling for business or pleasure. So it's ok to say "pleasure". If they ask any more questions you should tell the truth, but if you mention girlfriends or wanting to look for a job, be prepared for a trip to secondary and possibly being denied entry if you can't convince them that you'll be going back soon.

OK thanks for this Marocco. I certainly don't want to be denied entry so will just give the explanation I have given on my last 5/6 trips to the US of visiting friends and having a holiday.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your interviews. I'm sure you're aware that you can only apply for the H1B's once a year in April to start in Oct of that year. I believe this is the same even if you are under the Master's quota.
I only mention this as I was very successful in getting positions with several investment banks, (was offered 4 positions) but unsuccesful in being chosen for a visa in the H1B lottery and subsequently had to move to London to their international office and complete a year overseas in order to qualify for an L1 transfer (45 days to go).
You'll be doing quite a lot of trips to the US in the coming 15 months (until Oct 09) if you get the H1B, so if you have a good job and responsibilities here then it may be worth applying for the B1/2 so that multiple entries over a period of time may be easier, although never guaranteed.

Unfortunately it's never as easy as first thought and requires much patience and persistance.

Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:46 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Good luck with your interviews. I'm sure you're aware that you can only apply for the H1B's once a year in April to start in Oct of that year. I believe this is the same even if you are under the Master's quota.
I only mention this as I was very successful in getting positions with several investment banks, (was offered 4 positions) but unsuccesful in being chosen for a visa in the H1B lottery and subsequently had to move to London to their international office and complete a year overseas in order to qualify for an L1 transfer (45 days to go).
You'll be doing quite a lot of trips to the US in the coming 15 months (until Oct 09) if you get the H1B, so if you have a good job and responsibilities here then it may be worth applying for the B1/2 so that multiple entries over a period of time may be easier, although never guaranteed.

Unfortunately it's never as easy as first thought and requires much patience and persistance.

Good luck.
I gathered from his OP that he was hoping to secure a position with an academic institution. These are exempt from the cap.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I gathered from his OP that he was hoping to secure a position with an academic institution. These are exempt from the cap.
Oh yes - so he did - always had a problem with jumping in without testing the water first!