Applying for sister

Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:20 am
Shane S.

Default Applying for sister

Hi

My mom is a US citizen. She wants to apply green card for her sister. Her sister
is out of country. I was thinking of I-130. Can someone tell me how long the
process takes?

thanks Shane

Old Jul 16th 2002, 5:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Applying for sister

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:29:25 -0700, Shane S. wrote:

> Hi
    >
    > My mom is a US citizen. She wants to apply green card for her sister. Her sister
    > is out of country. I was thinking of I-130. Can someone tell me how long the
    > process takes?
    >
    > thanks Shane

What country was her sister born in? If she was born in the Philippines,
approximately twenty to fourty years. If she was born in other countries, I would
expect at least eleven years, and possibly twenty or more.

Brothers and sisters of US citizens fall into the Family 4th preference. This
category is oversubscribed, meaning that there are more applicants than the quota per
year allows to enter the US (the quota is 65,000 per year). In fact, there are so
many more applicants that the US Department of State is, during the month of August,
processing applicants from the Philippines who applied on or before August 1, 1981.
from Mexico before April 8, 1990, and from all other countries before July 1, 1990.

Now don't expect that in September, the dates would move by one month. They rarely
do. My guess is that in September, DOS will still be processing people from
approximately the same date, and in October, November, December, too. In fact, the
dates have not changed by much in the last three years. Thus my suggestion that it
would take far more than the twelve to twenty years that these numbers suggest - the
actual waiting time may well be twice or three times as long.

For more information, visit http://travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html. This is the
official publication that lists the date for the upcoming month.

Because of these outrageous delays, most attorneys advise their clients to not even
try applying in this category and look for other options instead.

Ingo