Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for Imm. visa in London - I-130 approved!

Applying for Imm. visa in London - I-130 approved!

Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:18 am
Been there, done that

devoted2him3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Applying for Imm. visa in London - I-130 approved!

Question: Must I wait for a receipt of some sort of our DS230-I before sending in the DS-2001?

Our I-130 has been approved. I've already completed the DS230-I and have sent it off. I am eager to send in the DS-2001. The only thing I'm concerned about and is holding me back is the "Case Number". We have not yet received any such thing. Should I wait for them to send this?
The USCIS website says:
"Note: If the U.S. citizen and immigrant visa applicant reside in the United Kingdom and the U.S. citizen is filing the I-130 with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) in London, it will be possible to begin the administrative processing of the immigrant visa application before the petition is approved and received by the Immigrant Visa Unit."

This is what I've done, I hope I was right. Shall I wait though before continuing? Thanks for any advice you might have!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Imm. visa in London - I-130 approved!

Originally Posted by devoted2him3
Question: Must I wait for a receipt of some sort of our DS230-I before sending in the DS-2001?

Our I-130 has been approved. I've already completed the DS230-I and have sent it off. I am eager to send in the DS-2001. The only thing I'm concerned about and is holding me back is the "Case Number". We have not yet received any such thing. Should I wait for them to send this?
The USCIS website says:
"Note: If the U.S. citizen and immigrant visa applicant reside in the United Kingdom and the U.S. citizen is filing the I-130 with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) in London, it will be possible to begin the administrative processing of the immigrant visa application before the petition is approved and received by the Immigrant Visa Unit."

This is what I've done, I hope I was right. Shall I wait though before continuing? Thanks for any advice you might have!
Have you read this page and its attached links?
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...ivprocess.html

Normal USCIS instructions won't apply to you.

As for opening a provisional case, there's one person whose attorney did a concurrent I-130/DS-230 filing for them, but you are past that now.

Are you sure there is no case number on your I-130 approval notice or the letter that first came from the Immigrant Visa Unit?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:17 am
Been there, done that

Originally Posted by meauxna
Have you read this page and its attached links?
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...ivprocess.html

Normal USCIS instructions won't apply to you.

As for opening a provisional case, there's one person whose attorney did a concurrent I-130/DS-230 filing for them, but you are past that now.

Are you sure there is no case number on your I-130 approval notice or the letter that first came from the Immigrant Visa Unit?
I probably know that website by heart now! Thank you though. I am aware that filing in London is different. That's partly why I'm asking the question. I've checked for a case number a thousand times but it wouldn't hurt to check it again. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself and chance a rejection.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by devoted2him3
I probably know that website by heart now! Thank you though. I am aware that filing in London is different. That's partly why I'm asking the question. I've checked for a case number a thousand times but it wouldn't hurt to check it again. I just don't want to get too ahead of myself and chance a rejection.
OK, I saw this last night from the linked page and wondered if you'd read it:

What is the second step?

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of your application and forward the Form DS-2001, Notification of Applicant(s) Readiness, to the Immigrant Visa Unit.
These documents must not be mailed to the Embassy. You will be required to furnish the original of all documents and one copy on the day of the formal visa interview.

What happens next?

On receipt of the DS-230-I and DS-2001, the Immigrant Visa Unit will perform any additional processing which may be required and advise you concerning the scheduling of the medical interview and the appointment for the formal visa interview.
--------------

I don't have any current stories that mention the case number, but everything points to no further action from London until you return that DS-2001. I'd be tempted to put all your biographic info on there and get it in to them.
Alternately, there is an email address you can use. You may get notice that your email has been deleted, but persevere... you may very likely get a reply.
It's [email protected]
Maybe this thread will help: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ar%40state.gov
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:25 pm
Been there, done that

OK, I saw this last night from the linked page and wondered if you'd read it:

What is the second step?

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of your application and forward the Form DS-2001, Notification of Applicant(s) Readiness, to the Immigrant Visa Unit.
These documents must not be mailed to the Embassy. You will be required to furnish the original of all documents and one copy on the day of the formal visa interview.

What happens next?

On receipt of the DS-230-I and DS-2001, the Immigrant Visa Unit will perform any additional processing which may be required and advise you concerning the scheduling of the medical interview and the appointment for the formal visa interview.
--------------

I don't have any current stories that mention the case number, but everything points to no further action from London until you return that DS-2001. I'd be tempted to put all your biographic info on there and get it in to them.
Alternately, there is an email address you can use. You may get notice that your email has been deleted, but persevere... you may very likely get a reply.
It's [email protected]
Maybe this thread will help: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ar%40state.gov
I just wanted to make sure there's not a chance of rejection if I do send it in without a case number. I shall definitely use the email address! Thanks ever so much for your help! x
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:12 pm

They don't reject you over something like that.

You just want to make certain they can match your checklist up with the rest of your case to avoid delays.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:13 pm
Been there, done that

They don't reject you over something like that.

You just want to make certain they can match your checklist up with the rest of your case to avoid delays.
you're awesome.. thanks for your help!