Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is anyone in a similar position...?

Is anyone in a similar position...?

Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

followmyheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is anyone in a similar position...?

I have been living and working abroad (various resorts) for the last eight years through the tourist industry including a year in Florida when I was given a Social Security card/number (they are for life) and had to take a US driving test (how easy!!!) so, although out of date, I have a US driving licence. My company used a J1 visa for that year through sponsorship.
I am now living and working (for the same company) in the Dominican Republic and am in a relationship with a Haitian who is looking at using family links to get to the US, probably MA or NJ. Does anyone know how my chances will be to follow him if he is successful and apparently lots of Haitians are? We do want to get married.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone in a similar position...?

Marriage first. Then deal with the other bits. Absent marriage, it's probably not going to happen.

Your drivers license means nothing--it's a state document not a federal one. Did your J1 have a time back in the home country requirement (or is that a different visa that requires you to return for 2 years to your home country)?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

followmyheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for this. I am right about the Social Security number though aren't I, if/when it came to it that would still be mine and mine alone?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:48 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by followmyheart
Thank you for this. I am right about the Social Security number though aren't I, if/when it came to it that would still be mine and mine alone?
Yes, but it won't make any difference to you getting into the US.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by followmyheart
am in a relationship with a Haitian who is looking at using family links to get to the US, probably MA or NJ. Does anyone know how my chances will be to follow him if he is successful and apparently lots of Haitians are? We do want to get married.
Your DL and SSN will make no difference in your immigration. If your DL is expired, you won't be able to renew it until you live in the US anyway.

You will have to be married to benefit from any immigration benefit from The Hatian (I guess you don't watch the TV show Heroes?) UNLESS (big unless) the family category he is proposing requires him to remain unmarried.

You need to find out how close this relationship is and what paperwork has been started (if any). It could be that he won't be eligible to immigrate for over 10 years.. that might make a difference in your plans and actions.