Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone gained an H-1B after volunteering for a non profit

Anyone gained an H-1B after volunteering for a non profit

Old Jul 25th 2019, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

biscuittin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone gained an H-1B after volunteering for a non profit

Hi all,

I am still debating the leap of a US move. Husband will be on a 01 I can get a 03 through him. Our long term goal though would be to live there and apply for a green card as there is far greater opportunity work wise for him. While we are out there I would really like a H-1B so I can work. I hear that green cards can take up to two years which is longer that I'd like to wait to work. I have received advise on the board about upping my changes of a H-1B by applying for a non profit organisation. I feel that employers wouldn't want to wait for a visa applicant and that perhaps I could volunteer for an organisation in the hope that they may offer be a job... Has this route worked for anyone?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 3:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gained an H-1B after volunteering for a non profit

If it's 'volunteer' work that would normally be done by someone who is paid than it is not permissible under your visa status.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biscuittin
Hi all,

I am still debating the leap of a US move. Husband will be on a 01 I can get a 03 through him. Our long term goal though would be to live there and apply for a green card as there is far greater opportunity work wise for him. While we are out there I would really like a H-1B so I can work. I hear that green cards can take up to two years which is longer that I'd like to wait to work. I have received advise on the board about upping my changes of a H-1B by applying for a non profit organisation. I feel that employers wouldn't want to wait for a visa applicant and that perhaps I could volunteer for an organisation in the hope that they may offer be a job... Has this route worked for anyone?
For a nonprofit to spend its hard-earned funds on the cost of "importing" an employee, it would have to be an extremely special employee with skills not available in the US. I think what you may be referring to is some kind of educational institution that is not bound by the cap. Otherwise, no H-1B applications can be made until next spring, to start work October 2020. As civilservant said, you can't volunteer in what would usually be a paid position.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Civilservant's advice is solid; volunteer work would need to be things like charity shops, animal shelters etc which are for non-profits that would never employ someone for the same role.

H1B's are for highly skilled workers, in almost all situations that I can think of there isn't non-profit work that would also fit into the same criteria as H1B, the exception being educational institutes.

Now, in theory, you could volunteer at an animal shelter, get to know the leadership team and have them offer you a role and subsequent sponsorship for a different role, which would meet the H1B requirements. But if we're being honest, that seems highly unlikely.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That strategy is probably more appropriate for someone who has work authorisation and wants a job.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts

Now, in theory, you could volunteer at an animal shelter, get to know the leadership team and have them offer you a role and subsequent sponsorship for a different role, which would meet the H1B requirements. But if we're being honest, that seems highly unlikely.
Indeed, it would have to be one heck of an animal shelter! I am familiar with many of them in my area and here, at least, the employees don't have degrees or specialized training, just love for animals and willingness to get their hands dirty. Governance comes from volunteer board members.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Highly unlikely: your best (only?) option would be to apply for a job at a not-for-profit institution that is eligible to apply for uncapped H-1Bs. Such institutions are usually universities and research groups. If you start the process immediately, you may be able to get a GC within two years but I USCIS is facing serious delays these days. We were in the process for at least 3.5 years (self petition).
Old Jul 26th 2019, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biscuittin
I am still debating the leap of a US move. Husband will be on a 01 I can get a 03 through him. Our long term goal though would be to live there and apply for a green card as there is far greater opportunity work wise for him.
Sorry if you've answered this before, but have you asked his employer if they would be willing to sponsor him for an immigrant visa instead? The criteria for an EB-1 are not so far removed from an O-1. It would involve the employer waiting longer for him to arrive and be able to start, but if he is considering not going at all without an avenue to your work authorization, this might be a bargaining chip.