Any one know corporate law

Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one know corporate law

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How can you be laid off and then accept a transfer with the same company. Something doesn't sound right, or I'm not following the exactly scenario here. I guess he's resigning from the UK side and accepting a contract with the USA side. But if he resigns, doesn't it mean he doesn't work for that company anymore?

Rene

But it's not the same company. It's in the same corporate "family". Normally people don't get VR when they transfer, but again normally a transfer carries clauses that allow repatriation to the home entity.

This person is taking VR from the U.K. side of the business and presumably joining the U.S. side on local terms and conditions with no right to a return to the U.K. corporation - not a problem in itself as long as this is well understood and accepted.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by franc111s
Not a financial services company is it? Why would you take 14,000 quid from a company which you are not really entitled just because you are going to work at the US corporate. If it smells bad, to me it is bad and this smells bad.

Isn't someone else more needy entitled? Just because the company policies are poor, doesn't mean you have to exploit it. just imagine when another HR employee realizes your trick (albeit legitimate) and tells a few people - your new "employer" might not like your ethics. Noir might your colleagues. Be careful.

Just my thought...
You dont know just how big the company is i work for it is one of the largest IT companys in the world, I have worked for them for over 6 years and NEVER had a pay rise neither has any of my work mates, i have checked with HR and they have confirmed it is tottaly legal and above board and just a matter of being in the right place at the right time

The fact that i have negotiated a transfer to the US is a Bonus, they have put a hold on company travel so relocation is going to be at my own expence so the £14K will help out nicely thank you

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's what I'm wondering too.
Multinationals, argh. I'll stick to my hippy food stores.

Me, too. You have to be working for the company in order to get a transfer on a L-1 so if you are made redundant, then you no longer work for the company and can't accept a transfer. If you accept the transfer and are working for the same company, only in a different office, then where does the redundancy come in?

Believe USCIS would have a problem with this if it were made known to them.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But it's not the same company. It's in the same corporate "family". Normally people don't get VR when they transfer, but again normally a transfer carries clauses that allow repatriation to the home entity.

This person is taking VR from the U.K. side of the business and presumably joining the U.S. side on local terms and conditions with no right to a return to the U.K. corporation - not a problem in itself as long as this is well understood and accepted.

But will the USCIS understand and accept this? IMHO the word "transfer" would be an issue since you can't transfer if you aren't employed.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ

That is exactly as i see it was going anyway but the VR payment is just a bonus, if i dont take the VR then i will keep my years of service and T&C's but my T&C's give me 28 days per year holidays and i dont think the guys i will be working with would like that

Not sure if it is legal and above board so just on here for advice

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
But will the USCIS understand and accept this? IMHO the word "transfer" would be an issue since you can't transfer if you aren't employed.
I am and will still be employed at the time of transfer, the VR only kicks in as my notice period ends as i say it is all in the timing
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Me, too. You have to be working for the company in order to get a transfer on a L-1 so if you are made redundant, then you no longer work for the company and can't accept a transfer. If you accept the transfer and are working for the same company, only in a different office, then where does the redundancy come in?

Believe USCIS would have a problem with this if it were made known to them.
Surely it states " must have WORKED for the company for 12 months in the last 3 years" i fit that crireria?

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

put it this way - even if he doesnt do the VR - the company is handling the L1 transfer by his resignation from one company and joining another. The VR is a side issue to this. didnt pepjm1 say he had to resign from one and join another when he came over!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MsElui
put it this way - even if he doesnt do the VR - the company is handling the L1 transfer by his resignation from one company and joining another. The VR is a side issue to this. didnt pepjm1 say he had to resign from one and join another when he came over!
As i said in the first post i am happy to get my L1 and live the dream however my manager with the best intentions has thrown the VR in not my choice or my doing but seeing as its there i thought i would ask if anyone had ever experianced this ? 14K is a lot of ££££ to miss out on if you dont need to

Thanks for all the comments

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not see the problem, just make sure you are visa and contractually good to go with the US company before taking VR from the UK. You are accepting a sum of money as consideration for giving up certain protected employment rights.

I have come across a few situations where people have been caught in the middle. Not so nice.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not see the problem, just make sure you are visa and contractually good to go with the US company before taking VR from the UK. You are accepting a sum of money as consideration for giving up certain protected employment rights.

I have come across a few situations where people have been caught in the middle. Not so nice.

Thank you that is just the advice or should i say reasurance i need work says go for it no problems but i dont think they realise how important it is to stay sqeeky clean with USCIS

Steve
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
Thank you that is just the advice or should i say reasurance i need work says go for it no problems but i dont think they realise how important it is to stay sqeeky clean with USCIS

Steve
When yopu get the Visa you have employment with the company.

When you leave the UK they give you a good bye pay off for a consideration.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
When yopu get the Visa you have employment with the company.

When you leave the UK they give you a good bye pay off for a consideration.
Thats the way i see it

Steve