Another way of getting a job?

Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another way of getting a job?

Originally Posted by tom169
Out of curiosity if you wouldn't mind: what industry are you in?

Completely agree with your last sentence.

Not telling.

Thank you.

Enjoy your day.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:39 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

i work in auto finance, specifically inside IT of that organization.

I was the first ever person to get a visa and move with the business, I'm told i was almost a 'guinea pig' - and now they know they can do it, there may be a few others they want to transfer. I know that the approval went all the way up to CEO level - i was lucky
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

neusyjodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
BenK91 is getting a K-1 fiancé visa, based on engagement and future marriage to a USC.

Rene
Lucky bugger!!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:40 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
It sounds odd but I'm moving to the US in two weeks now I have my visa and I haven't even bothered looking for a job yet! I may have updated my LinkedIn profile but I know there really isn't much point in me sending my CV/Resume out until I have my GC. So I certainly wouldn't be trying if I wasn't moving/had a clear path to get out there either!
You should *at least* think about getting your CV/Cover letter overhauled for life in the USA.

When I moved here, I was pretty oblivious to that fact and it was only this forum that convinced me to find a US resume writer to make it more 'Americanized'. Wish I'd done it sooner during the AOS stage!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neusyjodie
Lucky bugger!!!!!
I'd prefer my fiance to come here but sadly she can't because of commitments in the US, I'm not that enamored with the place to be honest! I think people can have a better quality of life here in the UK (at least I feel like my quality of life here will be hard to beat over in the US).

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
You should *at least* think about getting your CV/Cover letter overhauled for life in the USA.

When I moved here, I was pretty oblivious to that fact and it was only this forum that convinced me to find a US resume writer to make it more 'Americanized'. Wish I'd done it sooner during the AOS stage!
The company I work for at the moment has a California office, I've pinged my CV over to one of the guys there who does a similar role to me so he's helping me out with that!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

MeMeJD is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have already said it is definitely possible to find a job with a US company that will lead to a visa sponsorship. I don't think flying over to try to get interviews will increase your chances for those though.
In general most of the typical Silicone Valley companies will quite regularly hire people from abroad and bring them to the US if they have the skills they are looking for but you can apply for these roles from your home country and they will fly you over for interviews if they are interested in hiring you.
This is not limited to engineer or programmer roles although they are probably the most common ones.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Limey187 is an unknown quantity at this point

is there any particluar Trans-Atlantic companies that have a good reputation for transferring UK staff to America, in terms of volume and how willing they are to do it?
Old Oct 27th 2016, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

neusyjodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Limey187
is there any particluar Trans-Atlantic companies that have a good reputation for transferring UK staff to America, in terms of volume and how willing they are to do it?
Good question!

Also in regards to not being enamoured with the place, travel and explore. We found every single state felt like a different country, the national parks are out of this world and there are little pockets of magic everywhere! You're a very very lucky man!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Limey187
No... and if such a list did exist, it'd be widely available.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2016, 2:46 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I think people can have a better quality of life here in the UK (at least I feel like my quality of life here will be hard to beat over in the US).
I thought similar until i moved to Texas and i was sooooooooooooo wrong
Old Oct 28th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

...I'm not that enamored with the place to be honest! I think people can have a better quality of life here in the UK (at least I feel like my quality of life here will be hard to beat over in the US).
I disagree, but it depends on what is important to you. Each to his own!
Old Nov 1st 2016, 7:21 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Good question!

Also in regards to not being enamoured with the place, travel and explore. We found every single state felt like a different country, the national parks are out of this world and there are little pockets of magic everywhere! You're a very very lucky man!
Yes, the national parks are beautiful. But you are seeing the place as a tourist. Living there is something completely different. That's what Ben is referring to with his not being "enamoured" with the place. Real day to day life is more than beautiful national parks and "pockets of magic". Those of us who have emigrated/are in the process of emigrating (I'm moving next month) are well aware of the natural beauty of the landscape. We've gone past that stage though. We look at cost of living, housing affordability and availability, healthcare, schooling, crime rates, political situation, unemployment, taxation and so on. Depending on your situation and location, these can be worse than where you came from in the UK.

It probably comes as a surprise to you that that not everyone thinks it's the most fantastic place on earth but that's the case. I'm not convinced my life will be better there. Not necessarily worse either. Different, for sure. But not better.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Yes, the national parks are beautiful. But you are seeing the place as a tourist. Living there is something completely different. That's what Ben is referring to with his not being "enamoured" with the place. Real day to day life is more than beautiful national parks and "pockets of magic". Those of us who have emigrated/are in the process of emigrating (I'm moving next month) are well aware of the natural beauty of the landscape. We've gone past that stage though. We look at cost of living, housing affordability and availability, healthcare, schooling, crime rates, political situation, unemployment, taxation and so on. Depending on your situation and location, these can be worse than where you came from in the UK.

It probably comes as a surprise to you that that not everyone thinks it's the most fantastic place on earth but that's the case. I'm not convinced my life will be better there. Not necessarily worse either. Different, for sure. But not better.
Nail on the head. It is a beautiful country, and I'm lucky to be living in Colorado which is one of the most beautiful places but actual day to day life isn't going to involve me hiking and snowboarding every day or every weekend (I wish it was!). I have no doubts that I will have a good quality of life over in the US, it's just that have an extremely good quality of life here. Great wage, excellent work/life balance with the company I work for etc. That's not to say I'm not excited to go over to the US - it's just a case of I like what I have here but my fiance means more to me therefore I'm going to Trump Town!
Old Nov 1st 2016, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

So we've looked at different entry methods to getting a working and living visa in the USA, none of which sound particularly enthralling and definitely not quick.

So i was thinking the other day, do people ever just go to the US, set up interviews, chats, meetings with potential companies, talk about the fact that they want to emigrate, and also want to work for that particular company obviously and can bring skills to that company and job. Is that a good way also of trying to secure work in the USA? I just feel that otherwise i'm sat here 'hoping' it will happen somehow, hoping to find a company here that may intracompany transfer me etc.

Just curious to know if anyone has gone down this route? Just gone out and tried to make it happen rather than waiting for it.

Thanks,
Jodie
It sounds like a real long shot to me.

Realistically nobody is going to go through the expense and effort of visa applications for a relatively junior position that they could fill anyway. Regardless of whether they walk into your US office or not. Hiring for more senior positions tends to be global (at least in larger companies) so your physical location when applying probably doesn't make a significant difference.

If you are at a job grade where visa sponsorship is viable then I would have thought that you are probably better off just applying for jobs in the US from the UK, making it clear that you will need a visa. If you are sufficiently valuable to be worth sponsoring a visa for then I doubt if the physical location of the interview would make a significant difference.

If they decide you are not worth sponsoring for a visa then they are not going to regardless.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Limey187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fozzyb
It sounds like a real long shot to me.

Realistically nobody is going to go through the expense and effort of visa applications for a relatively junior position that they could fill anyway. Regardless of whether they walk into your US office or not. Hiring for more senior positions tends to be global (at least in larger companies) so your physical location when applying probably doesn't make a significant difference.

If you are at a job grade where visa sponsorship is viable then I would have thought that you are probably better off just applying for jobs in the US from the UK, making it clear that you will need a visa. If you are sufficiently valuable to be worth sponsoring a visa for then I doubt if the physical location of the interview would make a significant difference.

If they decide you are not worth sponsoring for a visa then they are not going to regardless.
Ive got an interview at American express in London tomorrow for a grad job, could end up in America via transfer after a few years (probs much quicker than waiting a billion years for this family visa!)

Wish me luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.