Another way of getting a job?

Old Oct 27th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

neusyjodie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Another way of getting a job?

So we've looked at different entry methods to getting a working and living visa in the USA, none of which sound particularly enthralling and definitely not quick.

So i was thinking the other day, do people ever just go to the US, set up interviews, chats, meetings with potential companies, talk about the fact that they want to emigrate, and also want to work for that particular company obviously and can bring skills to that company and job. Is that a good way also of trying to secure work in the USA? I just feel that otherwise i'm sat here 'hoping' it will happen somehow, hoping to find a company here that may intracompany transfer me etc.

Just curious to know if anyone has gone down this route? Just gone out and tried to make it happen rather than waiting for it.

Thanks,
Jodie
Old Oct 27th 2016, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another way of getting a job?

One of the things I've read a lot of people say is; a company/recruiter will just chuck your CV straight in the bin if it doesn't have a US address on it.

In my opinion that seems pretty pointless, as if you were able to set any chats or interviews up, you've then got to tell them they've got to spend thousands of dollars on an employment based visa (which you may not even get) and then have to wait for you to receive that visa before you could even start. They then might have to pay up for a relocation package too, so I couldn't imagine them being overly keen.

Best option would be to join a UK company with US offices/ties and attempt to get transferred.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

As Ben says, a company really are not going to be interested in you when they find out they have to pay thousands for your Visa, there are more than enough candidates here already. Unless you have exceptional skills and qualifications you are pretty much stuffed.
The other methods which are neither enthralling or quick are what they are.
USA does not give two hoots what you want.
Sorry to be harsh, but that's they way it is.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds odd but I'm moving to the US in two weeks now I have my visa and I haven't even bothered looking for a job yet! I may have updated my LinkedIn profile but I know there really isn't much point in me sending my CV/Resume out until I have my GC. So I certainly wouldn't be trying if I wasn't moving/had a clear path to get out there either!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I know there really isn't much point in me sending my CV/Resume out until I have my GC.
You need only an EAD to work legally in the US - which you apply for as part of your adjustment package anyway. No need to wait until you have a GC.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2016, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neusyjodie
... do people ever just go to the US, set up interviews, chats, meetings with potential companies, talk about the fact that they want to emigrate, and also want to work for that particular company obviously and can bring skills to that company and job.
Yes, they do that - but most aren't successful. Unless you already have permission to legally work in the US, a US employer isn't likely to even take the meeting!

Just curious to know if anyone has gone down this route? Just gone out and tried to make it happen rather than waiting for it.
Yes, they have tried... and a few actually succeed. The vast majority, however, fail.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need only an EAD to work legally in the US - which you apply for as part of your adjustment package anyway. No need to wait until you have a GC.

Ian
Ah I was aware of the EAD I just thought I'd read somewhere it cost a bit more to apply for and it took an age to come through so it was worth just waiting for the GC, I'm obviously wrong though. Cheers Ian.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I was aware of the EAD I just thought I'd read somewhere it cost a bit more to apply for and it took an age to come through so it was worth just waiting for the GC, I'm obviously wrong though. Cheers Ian.
No fee for I-765 if filed along with I-485. Will likely get you work eligible a lot quicker.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the whole paying thousands for a visa...

From experience I've seen that some employers (I'm in the software industry) won't be put off by this. In this profession good employees are hard to come by.

I would say the trickier sell is getting them to gamble and wait on a lottery based visa. Waiting months with no guarantees of anything fruitful at the end isn't good.

Not sure what industry you're in, but that's what I've come across.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

neusyjodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, that's what i thought and really great to hear some confirmation of those things.

BenK91 - what visa did you go for and succeed in getting in the end? You said you weren't looking for a job yet so was intrigued...

Thanks!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neusyjodie
Thanks guys, that's what i thought and really great to hear some confirmation of those things.

BenK91 - what visa did you go for and succeed in getting in the end? You said you weren't looking for a job yet so was intrigued...

Thanks!
BenK91 is getting a K-1 fiancé visa, based on engagement and future marriage to a USC.

Rene
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds odd but I'm moving to the US in two weeks now I have my visa and I haven't even bothered looking for a job yet! I may have updated my LinkedIn profile but I know there really isn't much point in me sending my CV/Resume out until I have my GC. So I certainly wouldn't be trying if I wasn't moving/had a clear path to get out there either!
Hi Ben

You succeeded in getting the K-1 now you really need to start our education on the adjustment of status. It is coming up a lot quicker than you think and it appears that you are not cognizant of the process, what it entails and what the various benefits are to the documents you will be filing after your marriage. Ain't immigrating fun?
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Regarding the whole paying thousands for a visa...

From experience I've seen that some employers (I'm in the software industry) won't be put off by this. In this profession good employees are hard to come by.

I would say the trickier sell is getting them to gamble and wait on a lottery based visa. Waiting months with no guarantees of anything fruitful at the end isn't good.

Not sure what industry you're in, but that's what I've come across.

Specific to industry, yup

My industry, the industry my wife works in, the industries her family work in would not dream of bringing in outside labor and paying for a visa, in my industry we talk VP level before outsiders are considered.

IT I know nothing about.

If the OP would tell us their profession and skillset then maybe a chance, but in general just a dream.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dj6372
Specific to industry, yup

My industry, the industry my wife works in, the industries her family work in would not dream of bringing in outside labor and paying for a visa, in my industry we talk VP level before outsiders are considered.

IT I know nothing about.

If the OP would tell us their profession and skillset then maybe a chance, but in general just a dream.
Out of curiosity if you wouldn't mind: what industry are you in?

Completely agree with your last sentence.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi Ben

You succeeded in getting the K-1 now you really need to start our education on the adjustment of status. It is coming up a lot quicker than you think and it appears that you are not cognizant of the process, what it entails and what the various benefits are to the documents you will be filing after your marriage. Ain't immigrating fun?
You've hit the nail on the head, I'm trying to be oblivious to the AOS process until we've had our wedding which is proving more of a headache than the immigration process so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.