Wikiposts

Am I eligible?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

richardosborne will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Am I eligible?

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Yep - do it - I went to an immigration lawyer in CA for aforementioned consultation (for reference CA and TX are some of the states where some of the more experienced immigration lawyers are due to their proximity to the borders) not to say that other states don't have them too before someone kills me....

Have you considered a J1 visa? That's a trainee type one - not sure on the qualifications - someone will jump in...

Good luck
Thanks so much, it's good to know that it's worth the money.

I have considered the J1 visa, it's now become my backup plan. It's been more than 12 months since I graduated so the rules stipulate that I must have 12 months experience in a specifically Maths related field, which means I need to spend another 11 months in this finance job.

So I get the consultation, go out and try to get a job, probably get turned down but then just continue working in finance back here and come back trying for the J1 instead. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by richardosborne
Thanks so much, it's good to know that it's worth the money.

I have considered the J1 visa, it's now become my backup plan. It's been more than 12 months since I graduated so the rules stipulate that I must have 12 months experience in a specifically Maths related field, which means I need to spend another 11 months in this finance job.

So I get the consultation, go out and try to get a job, probably get turned down but then just continue working in finance back here and come back trying for the J1 instead. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me
It cost me $100 for a consultation - didn't tell me anything I didn't already know... but it'll make sure you know all your options
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:24 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

A J1 visa could be a good option for you. I went to the US on a J1 last summer as part of a university course. It took me five months in total to get the visa in hand.

I would definitely advise you to find an employer willing to employ you and be your sponsor before applying for a visa. The company will need to fill out a detailed application form about your work position and must be aware of the long process involved in sponsoring you. Plan a realisitic timescale for yourself.
I planned a summer job in the US and upon advice of my tutor applied for jobs in December, received the visa in late April and flew out in May.

Your potential employer should also be aware that you can work for them only on the condition that your J1 visa is approved- you will need their help and support with the visa process.

Mostly these things take time and a lot of patience but if you are persistent and determined it can work for you. Make sure you review your most suitable options, doing as much research now will help you in the long term.

Lastly, myself and my fiance are the same age as you and your girlfriend. We had a long distance relationship for a while before getting engaged and applying for the K1. Yes we are young but decided that it was the best direction as we start to build our lives together. The money we would be spending flying to and from visits can now be put towards our visa and hopefully our future together. Marriage may sound daunting at the moment but it is the best way you can be together.

Sock in the face fully accepted Good Luck.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EJ3
A J1 visa could be a good option for you. I went to the US on a J1 last summer as part of a university course. It took me five months in total to get the visa in hand.

I would definitely advise you to find an employer willing to employ you and be your sponsor before applying for a visa. The company will need to fill out a detailed application form about your work position and must be aware of the long process involved in sponsoring you. Plan a realisitic timescale for yourself.
I planned a summer job in the US and upon advice of my tutor applied for jobs in December, received the visa in late April and flew out in May.

Your potential employer should also be aware that you can work for them only on the condition that your J1 visa is approved- you will need their help and support with the visa process.

Mostly these things take time and a lot of patience but if you are persistent and determined it can work for you. Make sure you review your most suitable options, doing as much research now will help you in the long term.

Lastly, myself and my fiance are the same age as you and your girlfriend. We had a long distance relationship for a while before getting engaged and applying for the K1. Yes we are young but decided that it was the best direction as we start to build our lives together. The money we would be spending flying to and from visits can now be put towards our visa and hopefully our future together. Marriage may sound daunting at the moment but it is the best way you can be together.

Sock in the face fully accepted Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep searching for an employer before I head over there. I know it could be a long time waiting, but right now it still feels worth it.

I do sort of wish we could just get engaged, but she says she's just not ready to make that commitment with me. Who knows, maybe in October when I head over things might change. Congratulations and good luck with your own marriage anyway, I'll keep the sock as my wedding gift
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep searching for an employer before I head over there. I know it could be a long time waiting, but right now it still feels worth it.

I do sort of wish we could just get engaged, but she says she's just not ready to make that commitment with me. Who knows, maybe in October when I head over things might change. Congratulations and good luck with your own marriage anyway, I'll keep the sock as my wedding gift
Thank you, what about my wedding gift? lol.

Well if you/your girlfriend are not ready then it will not pay off to rush into anything. Waiting may be the best thing for you both. If you do manage to secure a job in the US it will give you a good idea of what it is like to live there and be in the States for a longer period of time.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:59 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Hey there, the whole US immigration thing is a total nightmare, I have been fiddling about with it for years, studied software engineering and everything in a bid to get a visa.

After I finished college I did manage to find a company that were willing to sponsor me from Ireland, in WI and I was really excited. I thought long and hard about it, but the money they were offering was not great, actually is was dire about half what I could have gotten over there if I was not reliant on them for sponsorship. After all the messing with college I realised that I would be better off staying in Ireland as I was getting a proper wage here. My point is that getting a job from here is possible, although you may not get a great wage.

I ended up getting picked out for the DV lottery last year, so make sure you stick in an application for the next one (DV2010). To give you an idea of the odds of winning, the year I applied there were 29,000 people selected from 1.2 million so you are looking at about a 1 in 40 chance of being selected? Not great odds, but you have to be in it to win it I suppose. I was trying for years! It’s a least worth a try, once you get selected it has to be hands down the most straight foreword way to get a green card there is.

I know you can definitely head over and job hunt for the 90 days on the VWP, what ever you do don’t be tempted to over stay, you will end up a second class citizen and deportation is a total nightmare, I know a few people that have been through it, it sounds horrific, then there is a ten year ban to boot.

As some of the posters mentioned its difficult to get a work authorisation for the US, but not impossible, it may take you a good few years to sort out something. I was trying from about the age of 20, I am 30 now and only got a green card by a total fluke! Good luck!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by starky
Hey there, the whole US immigration thing is a total nightmare, I have been fiddling about with it for years, studied software engineering and everything in a bid to get a visa.

After I finished college I did manage to find a company that were willing to sponsor me from Ireland, in WI and I was really excited. I thought long and hard about it, but the money they were offering was not great, actually is was dire about half what I could have gotten over there if I was not reliant on them for sponsorship. After all the messing with college I realised that I would be better off staying in Ireland as I was getting a proper wage here. My point is that getting a job from here is possible, although you may not get a great wage.

I ended up getting picked out for the DV lottery last year, so make sure you stick in an application for the next one (DV2010). To give you an idea of the odds of winning, the year I applied there were 29,000 people selected from 1.2 million so you are looking at about a 1 in 40 chance of being selected? Not great odds, but you have to be in it to win it I suppose. I was trying for years! It’s a least worth a try, once you get selected it has to be hands down the most straight foreword way to get a green card there is.

I know you can definitely head over and job hunt for the 90 days on the VWP, what ever you do don’t be tempted to over stay, you will end up a second class citizen and deportation is a total nightmare, I know a few people that have been through it, it sounds horrific, then there is a ten year ban to boot.

As some of the posters mentioned its difficult to get a work authorisation for the US, but not impossible, it may take you a good few years to sort out something. I was trying from about the age of 20, I am 30 now and only got a green card by a total fluke! Good luck!

It is starting to seem like a nightmare lol, but it's good to know that you were eventually successful.

I spoke to a visa lawyer on Wednesday, he said I may still qualify for the J1 visa and is going to check out a couple of popular sponsors to see if they can give me any more information or advice about J1. Hopefully that'll turn up something, but I won't get too optimistic about it.

He also said that it is legal for me to pay part of the fees for an H1B if I can find a cap exempt job, which may help sway potential employers without having to go down the controversial reduced pay route.

Anyway, good news all round since I was expecting him to just say ermmmm no chance! I'll wait to see if he turns up anything, but will keep applying to jobs in the mean time. It's good to know that if nothing bites here that I can go over on the VWP looking for work, if I kick enough doors in someone is bound to give me a job! (Eternal optimism again, don't you just hate it? lol) Thanks again Starky, glad things worked out for you.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Being selected in the DV does not automatically lead to an immigrant visa/green card. They actually select almost twice as many people as those who will succeed, to allow for those who are ineligible, don't apply for the visa, don't have the processing completed before the deadline, and so on.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Saff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of light

I think we've all forgotten a very convenient loop hole.

This completely slipped my mind, but I do qualify for H1B cap exempt jobs!

I did apply to several different Boston colleges, but none took the bait.

The other options are non profit/government research organisations... does anyone have any idea what a government research organisation is?

By the way, she says she's not ready for marriage, so if I can't get in with an H1B cap exempt job I'm shafted, my future rests with you ladies and gentlemen! No pressure... just kidding lol.
Hi there!
Just wanted to wish you luck in getting a visa. I have recently been offered a job with a non-profit research organisation and they will be sponsoring my H1B visa for me- I am only two years older than you so it is possible! Have you considered studying for a Masters- it will definately help with your chances in getting a research job.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:58 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Being selected in the DV does not automatically lead to an immigrant visa/green card. They actually select almost twice as many people as those who will succeed, to allow for those who are ineligible, don't apply for the visa, don't have the processing completed before the deadline, and so on.

This is very true. The uptake of winners converting to successful visas from the EU was low this year. DV Visa numbers for the EU became current in August this year, so in theory any one from the EU who wanted to progress their win to a GC could have done so. That is as long as they meet all the eligibility requirements and pass the medical of course.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is very true. The uptake of winners converting to successful visas from the EU was low this year. DV Visa numbers for the EU became current in August this year, so in theory any one from the EU who wanted to progress their win to a GC could have done so. That is as long as they meet all the eligibility requirements and pass the medical of course.
You must mean Europe (eligible nations) rather than the EU.
All the other areas except Africa are current too.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Saff_London_Girl
Hi there!
Just wanted to wish you luck in getting a visa. I have recently been offered a job with a non-profit research organisation and they will be sponsoring my H1B visa for me- I am only two years older than you so it is possible! Have you considered studying for a Masters- it will definately help with your chances in getting a research job.
That's really uplifting news, thank-you

May I ask how you went about finding your H1B employer? Was there anything you did to help convince them an H1B hire would be worth the cost?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Hey guys I have a small update in leu of the lawyer getting back to me.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who told me about someone he knew using a little post graduate trick to get in. By enrolling in a post graduate course here then after a short time deferring the first year he was able to head to America to work on a student visa.

I've always wanted to do something like counselling or psychotherapy, I wonder could I enroll in a course here then defer it and try to get a counselling assistant job in America for experience or something like that?

I think it's worth a try seeing as I would then be in a career field I'd actually enjoy instead of having to do Finance! Thoughts?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:23 am
Boston Sep 15th

Originally Posted by JAJ
You must mean Europe (eligible nations) rather than the EU.
All the other areas except Africa are current too.
Absolutely, the reason I said EU was that Case numbers for eligible European countries start “EU2008” for example: EU200800099999. SO its just force of habit calling it the EU region.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who told me about someone he knew using a little post graduate trick to get in. By enrolling in a post graduate course here then after a short time deferring the first year he was able to head to America to work on a student visa
Interesting approach. What visa would you end up getting then? Wold it be a J1 visa?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Interesting approach. What visa would you end up getting then? Wold it be a J1 visa?

Yeah that'd be the plan, I think I can spend 1 semester here then defer my second semester until the next year, which gives me a free year of student status to work in America, it's a bit of a complicated plan but it's possible!