advice needed UK to the USA

Old Sep 4th 2016, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

M901 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice needed UK to the USA

Hi all, browsing the forum and reading posts but i thought i would create my own to ask a few questions and explain my situation.

Currently in a long distance relationship for the last 3 years. She is a US citizen and i am from the UK. We now plan on me moving over here to the states. I'm currently here visiting for a few months on an ESTA, have been here multiple times over the years and she has also visited me.

I have no degree but a strong IT background with programming skills. No A levels but i do have my GCSE's. Are GCSE's recognised out here? I would not mind going to college out here if that is possible, are A levels required? Or can i do a year or two at a community college before going to a major school? How long could i stay out here on a student visa? Could i apply for financial help from the UK?(student loans)

What would be the easiest way for me to be out here with her? I read several posts on fiancé based visa's. Is that the easiest/fastest way? How long would this take? Would i be able to come here on the fiance visa and then apply for college/jobs? She still lives with her parents but we are both over 25, would this matter?

Sorry for all the questions, i appreciate any help i get. Thank you
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:06 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed UK to the USA

Get married - that is the only way to live and work in the US for you based on what you have said. Research the CR-1 visa. It will take about 8=10 months AFTER you get married and return to the UK for you to receive the visa in hand.

Studying is a non-starter since you must pay your own way, loans aren't an option for non-residents.

Can a mod move this to the marriage based section since that is what the question refers to?

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 5th 2016 at 12:09 am. Reason: Move request
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... Can a mod move this to the marriage based section since that is what the question refers to?
He ready has a thread open in the F/M visa forum, but deleted his post - can post #1 be pasted back into that thread please?
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:55 am
Just Joined

M901 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Get married - that is the only way to live and work in the US for you based on what you have said. Research the CR-1 visa. It will take about 8=10 months AFTER you get married and return to the UK for you to receive the visa in hand.

Studying is a non-starter since you must pay your own way, loans aren't an option for non-residents.
So with the CR-1, I would have to marry her and then apply? Where as the with K1 we would need to be engaged then apply for it. Is there a time difference because i read on the forum that someones K1 was approved in a few months. I could be wrong though.

Also my questions was not specifically related to marriage so i thought i would be fine to post it there, i apologise
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:02 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M901
So with the CR-1, I would have to marry her and then apply? Where as the with K1 we would need to be engaged then apply for it. Is there a time difference because i read on the forum that someones K1 was approved in a few months. I could be wrong though.

Also my questions was not specifically related to marriage so i thought i would be fine to post it there, i apologise
The K1 will allow you to get married in the US and remain, but costs more money because there are more steps in the long run. The CR-1 is cheaper, but the downside is that you must spent time apart after marriage.

The best route is the one that is best for you.

Both currently take around 8-10 months to be approved.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is closed because the question was asked in the marriage forum.

Rene