Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice
Default Re: advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
BE is open to all...not just Brits.

FYI Rete is probably BE’s longest standing member. She was a mod and supermod for almost 2 decades. She has given up hours and hours of her time to help thousands of people like yourself.
I respect her for that, but seems strange her being so against immigration to the usa , maybe im taking things to heart, and wow 2 decades!! unreal, such a great resource

Last edited by CoolHandFluke; Nov 24th 2018 at 4:31 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
I respect her for that, but seems strange her being so against immigration to the usa , maybe im taking things to heart,
I think maybe you are.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

I think maybe you are.
I think it was the guy who told me to grow up made me get defensive, I felt witch hunted, apologies if I came across a $£%^ in anyway
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Where did I say I was against immigration? I am against abuse of the immigration system. My husband is an immigrant. It is due to marriage to me that he is now a USC and has lived in the US for over 20 years.

I get riled with the statements you made about it should be easier for those who are hard working, blah, blah, blah, to emigrate to the US, particularly if you are British. Why should it be made easier? It is easier than getting into the UK for a USC. You want easy, then emigrate to Canada with this company and when you become a PR or Canadian citizen, they can transfer you to the US where you can always apply for a TN visa at the border to live and work in the US.

You are working in the construction field. What are your qualifications for dealing with the labor unions for electricians, plumbers, etc.? None, I'm sure. Check to see if California construction workers and/or skilled labor workers must be members of a union to work.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing significantly has changed with regards to legal immigration.

And I doubt anything will in the foreseeable future.

Anyway always best to start at the beginning and in this case the prospective Employers are unaware of the criminal history, that we know, the people who made the job offers are most likely unaware of the Immigration factors never mind the qualification and criminal issues.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Where did I say I was against immigration? I am against abuse of the immigration system. My husband is an immigrant. It is due to marriage to me that he is now a USC and has lived in the US for over 20 years.

I get riled with the statements you made about it should be easier for those who are hard working, blah, blah, blah, to emigrate to the US, particularly if you are British. Why should it be made easier? It is easier than getting into the UK for a USC. You want easy, then emigrate to Canada with this company and when you become a PR or Canadian citizen, they can transfer you to the US where you can always apply for a TN visa at the border to live and work in the US.

You are working in the construction field. What are your qualifications for dealing with the labor unions for electricians, plumbers, etc.? None, I'm sure. Check to see if California construction workers and/or skilled labor workers must be members of a union to work.
I really don't want to argue, I didn't join for this, im a guy who wants to live in your country and wants advice, just like your husband 20 years ago, I will look into unions in due course, im sure your a nice person, I just want advice not lectures or to be talked down too, my hand is out for a hand shake and a truce
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nothing significantly has changed with regards to legal immigration.

And I doubt anything will in the foreseeable future.

Anyway always best to start at the beginning and in this case the prospective Employers are unaware of the criminal history, that we know, the people who made the job offers are most likely unaware of the Immigration factors never mind the qualification and criminal issues.
yes boiler that's is the situation, I will update as I go, and keep everyone informed, good bad or ugly!!!..... im expecting the worst!!!
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm afraid that moving to the US is inextricably linked to its political situation, particularly right now.
yeah I understand that, I was hoping a little old entitled british criminal would be an exception lol,
Old Nov 24th 2018, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a UK/US trade agreement is a real possibility and with it could come a visa category. Few years away though.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 6:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't want to argue, I didn't join for this, im a guy who wants to live in your country and wants advice, just like your husband 20 years ago, I will look into unions in due course, im sure your a nice person, I just want advice not lectures or to be talked down too, my hand is out for a hand shake and a truce
Nor do I. JFTR, we married and I sponsored him for a K-1 fiancée visa and ultimately permanent residency and he, when eligible, applied for US citizenship. He didn't go looking for a wife in the US to emigrate here as you implied. He could have been living in the US for over 15 years before we met if he had accepted employment with Litton Corp. in California back in the 80's.

Truce, I will stay out of your way and you out of mine.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It’s all very well companies offering jobs to non US citizens, but then they have to prove that there isn’t a USC to do that job. Out of over 300 million citizens...that’s a tough call.
This works the same for NZ & Oz. There are lists for those occupations where a Dept of Labour deems there is a shortage of suitable labour. It conducts a labour market test. It is not to protect the country's citizens and residents as such although depending on a political climate it may be peddle out to the masses in that light.. It is actually to help employers fill vacancies.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Actually, the UK is no easier to get into than the USA.
Correct.

If I may -

AFAIK the USA Immy forums are kept clear of more general chat so that those who come along looking for help and advice & those offering immy guidance are able to do so without wading through chat.

FWIW . Being a hopeful immigrant wishing to emigrate is and can be incredibly stressful and tough as I know from personal experience. It should be OK to bewail a country's Immy policies if one wishes & goodness knows I did back at the time. It's just a little letting off of steam .

Bottom line. There is either a visa stream and policiy that allows a person to emigrate to <insert a different country> , or there isn't.

As the immy forums are not for political standpoints I suggest
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:28 pm
`

yes boiler that's is the situation, I will update as I go, and keep everyone informed, good bad or ugly!!!..... im expecting the worst!!!
OK. Thank you for offering to share.

Any info and personal experience placed here might always help another coming along behind you one way or another.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the OP thought get the job offer and everything follows.

This is certainly not an original comment but may not have been mentioned so far on this thread, getting a job offer, especially from someone not aware of the Immigration issues is the easy bit, then it gets hard.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:42 pm
`

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think the OP thought get the job offer and everything follows.

This is certainly not an original comment but may not have been mentioned so far on this thread, getting a job offer, especially from someone not aware of the Immigration issues is the easy bit, then it gets hard.
True. I see this all around BE.

All one can do is guide on the relevant immy policies for whichever country .
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I think a UK/US trade agreement is a real possibility and with it could come a visa category. Few years away though.
I agree with Tom169 wait for Brexit and see what type of a trade deal is in place between the USA and the U.K, just maybe it may be easier to immigrate to the USA.

Last edited by sarasota chic; Nov 24th 2018 at 8:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.