Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice
Default advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Hi, a very common question I know, however mine has a twist and a lie to boot....

Firstly, can I introduce myself, 40 year old construction business owner, 1 beautiful wife, 2 equally stunning children residing in the northwest of England.

I have been obsessed with the thought of living in the usa since I was 11 since I spent the summer at my uncle house.

So, down to the nitty gritty, 11 years ago I was involved in a bar fight and I was sentenced to 14 months in prison for section 20 assault, something im not proud of but it was done in self defence.

Fast forward 7 years I went to vegas on a stag party, then I applied for my first visa and came across the moral turpitude question to which I ticked no, as I knew that my conviction was spent under the rehabillitaion act.

I was granted my esta visa no problem and since then I have been back to the stated 7 times, (California, new York and vegas)

So this year after our visit to California my daughter finally agreed to a trial year in in California, my son aged 6 is excited to go and so is my wife.

I looked into jobs, and I luckily have been offered 2 roles in project management, the company my wife works for here in the uk also have an office in the us, so shes confident of a job offer also.

We haven't looked into schooling just yet but we will in due course.

Whilst looking into the visa side of things I have learnt that the rehabilliation act in the UK doesn't apply in the USA and that I should have declared it on my esta forms!!! Now im panicking!!

Will the embassy even give me a chance of working and moving to the us now I have committed fraud on the esta form even though it was done in ignorance??

I have briefly spoken to a few solicitors about the matter via email but of course they all want a consultaion fee... £200 to £500! which after Christmas I will pay to see if I have a chance but I seeking advice from here also.

Im getting mixed advice from friends but I just want some honest advice, if I have no chance I want know so we can all get used to the idea of staying in the uk (sad face)

Iv listed a few good points of our situation and bad points below;

Good points
40 years young (life experience)
Job Offer
Family in the usa (aunt and 4 cousins)
In uk I have 2 properties, one I own the other is mortgaged and rented out, plan would be to trial a year in the usa then sell up and move over with enough cash to buy a house, so we would not ever be sponging from the government in anyway.

Bad points
Conviction for assault (sentenced to 14 months in prison, served 6 months)
Lied on esta form although it was through ignorance

Any help good bad or ugly will be appreciated.

Thanks

Luke
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

This is mostly a question for your employers lawyers.

Have they mentioned what they’re basing your employment offer on?
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What visa is the prospective employer obtaining for you?

The company's lawyers should be advising you as how your prison record will impact your application. They are going to be the one's who will have to present your case in your application papers.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Before we start - what visa is the company petitioning you for?

If H1B, you are aware that it would be next October before you could start, and even then you only have a 35%-ish chance of being successful in the lottery, right?
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
This is mostly a question for your employers lawyers.

Have they mentioned what they’re basing your employment offer on?
No, not as yet, the job offers have been offered via email, and I am waiting on a phone call to go through the particulars, so I my employer will sort out my visa for me? I was of the understanding (from google!) that I would need a solicitor to get the ball rolling then I would present my job offer etc at the us embassy interview in London?????
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What visa is the prospective employer obtaining for you?

The company's lawyers should be advising you as how your prison record will impact your application. They are going to be the one's who will have to present your case in your application papers.
No, not as yet, the job offers have been offered via email, and I am waiting on a phone call to go through the particulars, so I my employer will sort out my visa for me? I was of the understanding (from google!) that I would need a solicitor to get the ball rolling then I would present my job offer etc at the us embassy interview in London?????
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Before we start - what visa is the company petitioning you for?

If H1B, you are aware that it would be next October before you could start, and even then you only have a 35%-ish chance of being successful in the lottery, right?
Lottery? sorry im still kinda new to this, but my understanding is that the lottery doesn't apply in the uk?
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
No. They have to apply for the visa for you.

As others here will attest. A job offer that doesn’t already include some specifics about what visa they’re applying for is a huge red flag.

There are loads of examples of people who have a job offer from a company that has no idea what visa sponsorship entails and rescind the offer as soon as it becomes clear.

As a matter of urgency if ckatify with these employers what visa they propose. If they don’t know, then the offer is effectively worthless.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you stop googling and confusing yourself and instead wait for instructions from the company and hopefully their attorney.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint

No. They have to apply for the visa for you.

As others here will attest. A job offer that doesn’t already include some specifics about what visa they’re applying for is a huge red flag.

There are loads of examples of people who have a job offer from a company that has no idea what visa sponsorship entails and rescind the offer as soon as it becomes clear.

As a matter of urgency if ckatify with these employers what visa they propose. If they don’t know, then the offer is effectively worthless.
Thanks for the advice!

So lets say that next week that my would be employer is legit, and willing to put in the leg work for me, would I have much chance with my "bad points"
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
I suggest you stop googling and confusing yourself and instead wait for instructions from the company and hopefully their attorney.
I hear you, its just so damn tempting to google lol!!
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Lottery? sorry im still kinda new to this, but my understanding is that the lottery doesn't apply in the uk?
What he is explaining to you is that the H1B visa category, which it sounds as if would be the one available to you, is always over subscribed, so that all entries go into a lottery drawing. The drawing takes place in the spring, and successful applicants can start work the following October. By the way, spouses obtain a derivative visa, the H4, but it does not permit them to work.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The "lottery" refers to the process under which applicants for H-1b visas go through. The number of applicants for these visa are usually far more than the number approved. So it's a 'lottery' as to whether an applicant will be approved.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice!

So lets say that next week that my would be employer is legit, and willing to put in the leg work for me, would I have much chance with my "bad points"
…. I do know that my friend who works for the company in Canada, who basically put in a good word for me, said that they will help with the visa etc as they did for him, so I guess I should be ok ( I hope)
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the advice!

Your criminal record and jail time will be taken into consideration - it will probably lessen your chances but won't completely negate them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.