Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
yeah I didn't forget, I wasn't sure if it was illegal for me to offer though
It's not illegal for you to offer, but it doesn't make sense to do so, as its illegal for them to accept the offer.

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You will need to get your qualifications "translated" to show their equivalent US qualification. I believe there is a company called WES that is usually recommended. And don't forget that getting a visa is only the first step. Next, the company has to be willing to sponsor you for a green card if you are to stay permanently in the US.
yeah I understand that, obviously a up hill struggle, however im confident in my abilities, and im pretty sure they wouldn't want to let me go, but who knows eh, im by no means confident in acceptance of any kind but im damn sure im gonna give it 100%, thanks for all the advice m8, I cant thank you and everyone enough, ive learnt so much in literally 1 day!!
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As above, there is huge difference in a Canadian work visa and a US one though. For a Canadian work visa, any job qualifies (no education requirement), the visa costs $150, there is no need for an immigration lawyer, and the work permit can be applied for at the airport when you arrive. Even if a LMIA is required, that doesn't add that much in price or waiting time in comparison to a US visa.

For the US the job has to require a degree (you need that or equivalent experience), a lawyer is pretty much essential, it costs the employer approx $5000, and if going for a H1-B the employer will be waiting a minimum of 5 months for you to be able to start work, longer if they have to reapply the following year.
well its looking like I wont becoming then, so annoying how hard they have made it, I can understand the us government not wanting people with no qualifications and no money etc, but to make it hard for people with qualifications, money and just wanting to make there life better by moving there just is pathetic, such a shame!
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As for the job role, it is project management for a large construction company, but they do not operate in the uk so the advice to work for them here doesn't apply, such a shame that a country built on immigration is now such a hard place to get into even without a criminal past, but I see why, to me its the best place on earth and im obviously not the only one... if I could only have my time again and not have had that stupid fight ggggrrrrrrr
We Americans get downright annoyed and pissed hearing this argument. Personally, as an American, I'm fine with how difficult it is to emigrate to the US and in many ways wish it were more difficult.

In the 16 and 17 hundreds it was easier to emigrate to the US but by the 1800's there were rules, laws, regulations and having a criminal history was a no-no even then. The US was not Australia where the UK shipped their criminals. Our borders are not open (except on the southern part of America) to anyone that wants to just walk across. Isn't immigration one of the reasons why the UK is leaving the EU? The US is not the best place in the world to live or work. There are no safety nets for the employed or sick in the US as there is in the UK. Ask any of the Brits here and they will probably tell you, yes, the US is a nice place and they have been able to earn more here than in the UK (or in some instances about the same) but they were able to buy larger houses with more property. Many find US education inferior to the UK. You are wearing rose colored glasses.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 24th 2018 at 3:51 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In the uk our policies are more relaxed, and people can come as long as they are willing to work as it makes our economy stronger, I get your argument of us jobs for us people, and I agree to it, but obviously there is demand for outsiders otherwise why would they offer jobs out?
Actually, the UK is no easier to get into than the USA. I have a USC friend who would love to go work in the UK. She has a masters degree and work experience, but not of the sort the UK is looking for. Therefore, its just as hard for her to move to the UK as it is for you to move to the USA. So it's not a matter of the UK accepting anyone who wants to work. It's whether she qualifies for a UK work visa.

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

well its looking like I wont becoming then, so annoying how hard they have made it, I can understand the us government not wanting people with no qualifications and no money etc, but to make it hard for people with qualifications, money and just wanting to make there life better by moving there just is pathetic, such a shame!
You just hit on another sore spot. Why do you think there is no American citizen or legal permanent resident already in the US who can't do your job? Why do you think they want you? The USCIS is cracking down on work visas who pay foreign workers less money than they would pay a USC or LPR.

There is no special relations between the US and the UK. What makes a Brit more worthy of emigrating to the US over someone from France or India.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 24th 2018 at 3:53 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I find the laws of the visa process being so hard pathetic for hardworking people, and im sure im not alone, so climb back under your rock
Have you been following politics in the US lately? There is a massive clampdown going on as regards immigration into the country -- and that includes "hardworking people" as well as those escaping oppression (and not just looking for more sunshine). Xenophobia is rampant and everyone is scrutinized. You are lucky to be living in a country with a decent standard of living-- and with Europe currently available to you.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You just hit on another sore spot. Why do you think there is no American citizen or legal permanent resident already in the US who can't do your job? Why do you think will want you? The USCIS is cracking down on work visas who pay foreign workers less money than they would pay a USC or LPR.

There is no special relations between the US and the UK. What makes a Brit more worthy of emigrating to the US over someone from France or India.
I never once said that there isn't anyone in the us that couldn't do my job, not once, im not special in anyway, however, iv been offered 2 jobs , maybe not 100% legit as of yet, but why is it so hard for some one who has been OFFERED a job to accept the job is my point, and this isn't about me, inever had high expectations with my past anyway, but I mean in general, if theres a short fall in a certain career why cant someone else take it?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you been following politics in the US lately? There is a massive clampdown going on as regards immigration into the country -- and that includes "hardworking people" as well as those escaping oppression (and not just looking for more sunshine). Xenophobia is rampant and everyone is scrutinized. You are lucky to be living in a country with a decent standard of living-- and with Europe currently available to you.
I wanted advice on moving to the usa, which I have got and I am thankful for, I do not need a world politics lesson.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I never once said that there isn't anyone in the us that couldn't do my job, not once, im not special in anyway, however, iv been offered 2 jobs , maybe not 100% legit as of yet, but why is it so hard for some one who has been OFFERED a job to accept the job is my point, and this isn't about me, inever had high expectations with my past anyway, but I mean in general, if theres a short fall in a certain career why cant someone else take it?
It’s all very well companies offering jobs to non US citizens, but then they have to prove that there isn’t a USC to do that job. Out of over 300 million citizens...that’s a tough call. IMO it is only right that a country wants to keep jobs for its citizens, rather than them being out of work because the job has gone to a non USC.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We Americans get downright annoyed and pissed hearing this argument. Personally, as an American, I'm fine with how difficult it is to emigrate to the US and in many ways wish it were more difficult.

In the 16 and 17 hundreds it was easier to emigrate to the US but by the 1800's there were rules, laws, regulations and having a criminal history was a no-no even then. The US was not Australia where the UK shipped their criminals. Our borders are not open (except on the southern part of America) to anyone that wants to just walk across. Isn't immigration one of the reasons why the UK is leaving the EU? The US is not the best place in the world to live or work. There are no safety nets for the employed or sick in the US as there is in the UK. Ask any of the Brits here and they will probably tell you, yes, the US is a nice place and they have been able to earn more here than in the UK (or in some instances about the same) but they were able to buy larger houses with more property. Many find US education inferior to the UK. You are wearing rose colored glasses.
About 50,000 convicts were sent to America.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It’s all very well companies offering jobs to non US citizens, but then they have to prove that there isn’t a USC to do that job. Out of over 300 million citizens...that’s a tough call. IMO it is only right that a country wants to keep jobs for its citizens, rather than them being out of work because the job has gone to a non USC.
totally agree, but life isn't black n white, there is always a grey area, I just find it a shame, but if the usa is over crowded I totally understand, we have the same arguments here in the uk about immigrants etc, my problem with it is only when the immigrants are doing the job for less money, that happens here a lot
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Im unsure why it is your on a ex pat messaging board if your so against immigratation? I love YOUR country and want to live there
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted advice on moving to the usa, which I have got and I am thankful for, I do not need a world politics lesson.
I'm afraid that moving to the US is inextricably linked to its political situation, particularly right now.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Im unsure why it is your on a ex pat messaging board if your so against immigratation? I love YOUR country and want to live there
BE is open to all...not just Brits.

FYI Rete is probably BE’s longest standing member. She was a mod and supermod for almost 2 decades. She has given up hours and hours of her time to help thousands of people like yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.