Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Old Nov 24th 2018, 1:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
.. no, shes employed in pallative care work
Then when you discuss the offer with your own prospective employer, keep in mind that your wife will not be able to work, and that your salary will have to be sufficient for the family. If you were able to take the route suggested by another poster, to find work in the UK with a US company with the objective of a transfer to the US, the resultant L visa would permit your wife to apply for permission to work.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 1:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just a thought, do your employers know about your criminal record? If not, is it part of your contract that such should have been disclosed?
You mean his current employers? Is it mandatory in the UK that your criminal past be disclosed upon hiring?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Just a thought, do your employers know about your criminal record? If not, is it part of your contract that such should have been disclosed?

As of now, my would be employers dont know nothing, my friend is meeting with a manager tonight and is going to ask him his opinion, tbh after tbe comments above my confidence of getting in is low, obviously i will pursue it but i always knew it would be a gamble,
Old Nov 24th 2018, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You mean his current employers? Is it mandatory in the UK that your criminal past be disclosed upon hiring?
Yes current employers.

I don’t think so but some stipulate such disclosures. If that’s the case the OP may not want his employers to find out as it could result in dismissal. I remember reading about such a case which resulted in a dismissal.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

not in the uk, we have the rehabilitation act so you dont have to disclose it, however i run my own construction company
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

not in the uk, we have the rehabilitation act so you dont have to disclose it, however i run my own construction company
My mistake, I forgot you are not an employee.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

My mistake, I forgot you are not an employee.
my boss is understanding and open minded lol
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you able to meet other Employees who had been sponsored and discuss with them their path?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are your 2 potential US employers large corporations, or are they more mom and pop type of places? You don't have to name them. But that will also probably make a difference in whether they can afford to (or want to) go through the expense of hiring you.

By the way, if they come back to you saying "if you can find your own way to the USA we'll hire you" or "Get a B visa and come on over", then that means "no".

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

I've read through the 3 pages of dialogue regarding a potential job offer being made to you and while the prospects of living and working in the US has your head in the clouds, you need to stop for a bit and do a bit more research. You have no inkling of terminology regarding US immigration and this can be a hinderance. You're talking with a friend/relative who was sponsored for a work visa to Canada. Hey, different countries and vastly difference immigration laws. Here the H-1B will cost your employer thousands of dollars to apply for your visa and as others have said there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be issued one. First comes the application which must be submitted in April, then if chosen in the lottery (because this visa is oversubscribed), you still need to clear the hurdles of the US Embassy in London and with a CIMT to your credit, the hurdle jump has been raised to a height you might not be able to clear. If you are lucky, the Embassy might recommend you apply for a waiver of ineligibility but that is not a certainty so please do count on it. There is a thread here which is over 20 pages long of people waiting for their waivers to be adjudicated. Some are experiencing 6 months or longer for adjudication. Will your prospective employer think your qualifications and skill are enough to warrant the outlay of thousands of dollars and the exceptionally long wait to have you join their organization? While work experience can overcome a lack of a degree, a degree in the US and for immigration purposes still holds a higher rank when it comes to employment. Fair? Not really, but it is what it is. Another point is that we don't even know what the job is and if it qualifies for an H-1B visa.

Frankly, IMHO, I don't hold out any hope that you will be successful in your quest to come to the US with a visa sponsored by either of these companies. A far easier approach would be to work for one of these companies in the UK if they have a UK branch and then in a few years they can transfer you to the US via an L visa. The hurdle is still there for overcoming your CIMT and the need for a waiver of ineligibility but at least you are already working for the company, there is no H-1B lottery to deal with and more time will have passed since your conviction and jail time. BTW in the US ignorance of the law is not an excuse. The same goes for your misrepresentation of your crime on the ESTA which allowed you to enter the US under the VWP. BTW ESTA is not a visa nor is the VWP. Brits do not require a visa to visit the US under normal circumstances. The fact that you knew you had a criminal history and didn't do your due diligence, is not in your favor. The use of the VWP can be overcome. It is the CIMT that is the hardest hurdle to get over.

You don't like the cold of the UK, then more to a warm place in Europe. Those doors are open to you while the US door is closed to you at the moment, even for a visit.
Nete, I have just looked into the H1-b visa, and now I get I need a degree to get approved, good news on my part is that im working on getting my nvq 6 in construction management at the start of 2019, apparently this is the same as a masters degree, so il be more than covered, however im by no means confident of getting approved to work and live in the us, but I certainly wont be giving up until its in writing from the embassy, apart from my criminal past, obviously my main concern now will be my employer waiting on me in the process... a huge obstacle, however il be looking into this and have already spoken to a friend who is going to ask his manager, obviously in Canada, but he rang me last week to tell me that his boss had spoken to his counter part in California, and he was willing to help me so I guess for now all I have is his word. something that I will be chasing up next week, as for the dollar amount for them in visa fees etc, I would be more than willing to reimburse them should I not be successful, but I guess that's up to them,

As for the job role, it is project management for a large construction company, but they do not operate in the uk so the advice to work for them here doesn't apply, such a shame that a country built on immigration is now such a hard place to get into even without a criminal past, but I see why, to me its the best place on earth and im obviously not the only one... if I could only have my time again and not have had that stupid fight ggggrrrrrrr
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Were you able to meet other Employees who had been sponsored and discuss with them their path?
only with a friend but he lives in Canada, and they have obviously more relaxed laws, he did say he knew some one who the company relocated from Canada to California and they paid not only for his visa but paid his living costs for 1 year until he settled!!! obviously a great company
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

as for the dollar amount for them in visa fees etc, I would be more than willing to reimburse them should I not be successful, but I guess that's up to them
As I have stated before, you cannot pay your own immigration expense, nor can you reimburse the company. The employer/ company pays everything, it's the law, they don't have a choice.

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are your 2 potential US employers large corporations, or are they more mom and pop type of places? You don't have to name them. But that will also probably make a difference in whether they can afford to (or want to) go through the expense of hiring you.

By the way, if they come back to you saying "if you can find your own way to the USA we'll hire you" or "Get a B visa and come on over", then that means "no".

Rene
1 company is the largest in Canada and now is fast becoming a major player in the usa with thousands of employees, the other is a smaller company that operates out of Bakersfield in California, not as big, ive spoken to the owner via email a few times now, but im unsure if he knows about the visa part.... I have emailed earlier to enquire
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As I have stated before, you cannot pay your own immigration expense, nor can you reimburse the company. The employer/ company pays everything, it's the law, they don't have a choice.

Rene
yeah I didn't forget, I wasn't sure if it was illegal for me to offer though
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Nete, I have just looked into the H1-b visa, and now I get I need a degree to get approved, good news on my part is that im working on getting my nvq 6 in construction management at the start of 2019, apparently this is the same as a masters degree, so il be more than covered, however im by no means confident of getting approved to work and live in the us, but I certainly wont be giving up until its in writing from the embassy, apart from my criminal past, obviously my main concern now will be my employer waiting on me in the process... a huge obstacle, however il be looking into this and have already spoken to a friend who is going to ask his manager, obviously in Canada, but he rang me last week to tell me that his boss had spoken to his counter part in California, and he was willing to help me so I guess for now all I have is his word. something that I will be chasing up next week, as for the dollar amount for them in visa fees etc, I would be more than willing to reimburse them should I not be successful, but I guess that's up to them,

As for the job role, it is project management for a large construction company, but they do not operate in the uk so the advice to work for them here doesn't apply, such a shame that a country built on immigration is now such a hard place to get into even without a criminal past, but I see why, to me its the best place on earth and im obviously not the only one... if I could only have my time again and not have had that stupid fight ggggrrrrrrr
You will need to get your qualifications "translated" to show their equivalent US qualification. I believe there is a company called WES that is usually recommended. And don't forget that getting a visa is only the first step. Next, the company has to be willing to sponsor you for a green card if you are to stay permanently in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.