Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice
Default Re: advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Originally Posted by sarasota chic

You can apply for a waiver of ineligibility when your visa is denied by the embassy regarding the conviction, when my husband was 18 he acted a fool and was convicted of a minor offence he was given community service and a fine. In order to get our Green Cards he had to jump through hoops. However not declaring a criminal conviction on an esta which is an immigration form can land you a lifetime ban from entering the USA.
Before your employer starts any visa application you must declare your conviction and have a very good immigration attorney. Good luck.
Thankyou
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
Well, I guess il have to wait on my phone call next week and take it from there, I do know this company has employed lots of uk lads to Canada so I guess they must have an attorney
Pretty easy (in comparison) to obtain a work permit for Canada though, whole different ball game for the US!
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarasota chic

You can apply for a waiver of ineligibility when your visa is denied by the embassy regarding the conviction, when my husband was 18 he acted a fool and was convicted of a minor offence he was given community service and a fine. In order to get our Green Cards he had to jump through hoops. However not declaring a criminal conviction on an esta which is an immigration form can land you a lifetime ban from entering the USA.
Before your employer starts any visa application you must declare your conviction and have a very good immigration attorney. Good luck.
I think the OP's situation might be somewhat more complicated than your husband. The OP was convicted of assault, sentenced to 14 months, and served 6 months in jail. Different to a minor offence and doing community service.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

no degree here unfortunately, just experience (sad face) I guess im screwed?
Not necessarily, but uou need three years’ of relevant work experience for each year of US 4-year degree missed. The job also needs to be one that would typically require a degree to qualify for.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 12:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

…. I do know that my friend who works for the company in Canada, who basically put in a good word for me, said that they will help with the visa etc as they did for him, so I guess I should be ok ( I hope)
You realise that Canada is not the US and has its own immigration laws, right? Obtaining a visa to work in Canada is very different to obtaining a visa to work in the US.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 12:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW...I lived in New Jersey for almost 20 years. We moved to Toronto because our daughter and granddaughter is here. I much prefer Toronto.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems unlikely the criminal issue will be relevant.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Getting to the actual point of whether this is actually possible - on the assumption that the prospective employer knows what they are in for in terms of applying for the visa - I think the biggest issue you face, CoolHandFluke, is your incorrectly obtained ESTA.

The problem you will have is that you'll need to demonstrate that you did not misrepresent yourself when you applied for an ESTA. I had roughly the same issue but I did not have CMIT on the record so it was easier to deal with. Now there is a problem with your explanation - because by my calculation, your record may not have been spent in 2011. Do the dates of the sentence mean it concluded in 2007 rather than 2008? This includes any time you were on probation or license or anything like that. It's a fairly important point because your only explanation is ignorance of the law, which even then has a high probability of not being accepted anyway. If it's not founded in truth, I think you've a hard barrier and I'd be surprised if you can find a way to explain that you did not misrepresent yourself. Ultimately, you did, and misrep is one of the hardest things to overcome in US immigration.

If you somehow do overcome that, as someone else has mentioned, you can apply for a waiver of ineligibility. I'd say you have a decent chance of getting that given it was over 10 years ago, although that is a mighty heavy sentence for what I presume is your first offence, so that may indicate the crime was very severe, and on the day you could get a Consulate Officer that just doesn't want to buy it. If you manage to get through that, you're in for a 4-6 month wait before receiving your visa.

There's no doubt that you have one of the tougher criminal ineligibilities that I have seen asked about on here. Coupled with that, you pretty much have no choice but to tell your prospective employer about this, given the timeline involved and the requirement for legal advice over the misrep issue.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Thank you for your advice, its just what i needed,
my conviction is strong one due to the so called innocent other side being left with 2 broken arms... because he fell on to them.. it doesnt show that he follwed me into a toilet in a bar to start a fight because i accidentally bumped shoulders with him.

life goes on!

however im a better person for the experience and that is the truth and nothing but the truth....

i left prison more motivated than ever, started my business and have employed anything from 2 to 50 people ever since...

my conviction was spent in 2011, my trip to the is was 2013 so my ignorance on the law was correct in a way, however i do understand the seriousness of it now, its such a shame i cant go for an interview of some kind before wasting my potential employers time, as i would like to think if someone met me they would know im no threat to society... i just was some one that could self defend.

if we went straight for the immigration green card do you think this would help me?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Getting to the actual point of whether this is actually possible - on the assumption that the prospective employer knows what they are in for in terms of applying for the visa - I think the biggest issue you face, CoolHandFluke, is your incorrectly obtained ESTA.

The problem you will have is that you'll need to demonstrate that you did not misrepresent yourself when you applied for an ESTA. I had roughly the same issue but I did not have CMIT on the record so it was easier to deal with. Now there is a problem with your explanation - because by my calculation, your record may not have been spent in 2011. Do the dates of the sentence mean it concluded in 2007 rather than 2008? This includes any time you were on probation or license or anything like that. It's a fairly important point because your only explanation is ignorance of the law, which even then has a high probability of not being accepted anyway. If it's not founded in truth, I think you've a hard barrier and I'd be surprised if you can find a way to explain that you did not misrepresent yourself. Ultimately, you did, and misrep is one of the hardest things to overcome in US immigration.

If you somehow do overcome that, as someone else has mentioned, you can apply for a waiver of ineligibility. I'd say you have a decent chance of getting that given it was over 10 years ago, although that is a mighty heavy sentence for what I presume is your first offence, so that may indicate the crime was very severe, and on the day you could get a Consulate Officer that just doesn't want to buy it. If you manage to get through that, you're in for a 4-6 month wait before receiving your visa.

There's no doubt that you have one of the tougher criminal ineligibilities that I have seen asked about on here. Coupled with that, you pretty much have no choice but to tell your prospective employer about this, given the timeline involved and the requirement for legal advice over the misrep issue.
Originally Posted by Dorothy
You realise that Canada is not the US and has its own immigration laws, right? Obtaining a visa to work in Canada is very different to obtaining a visa to work in the US.
yes i get that, my point was that the company did the visa work for their uk to canada employees so they will for me to us, hope that makes sense
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint

Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs

Not necessarily, but uou need three years’ of relevant work experience for each year of US 4-year degree missed. The job also needs to be one that would typically require a degree to qualify for.
yes i have 23 years experience in construction and ten years in construction management, i have nvq level 3 qualifications and will have a level 4 (hnc) by june 2019 so im qualified to a level just not degree level... however im thinking of getting my level 6 in 2019
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Seems unlikely the criminal issue will be relevant.
i hope your right! Thanks for replying
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
FWIW...I lived in New Jersey for almost 20 years. We moved to Toronto because our daughter and granddaughter is here. I much prefer Toronto.
im wanting a life in the warmer climates of california!! Englands is cold enough lol
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

if we went straight for the immigration green card do you think this would help me?
When you say "we", you mean "my future employer", right? It would be up to the employer to decide what kind of visa to petition you for. This is something to discuss with the employer. I would guess most employers would not choose the immigrant visa because you become a US PR upon entry to the USA and can work for whomever you choose. You wouldn't be tied to that employer the way an H visa would.

I doubt it would change anything with how your conviction comes into play, anyway.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.