Advice for a cluessless one :)

Old Jul 7th 2001, 4:37 pm
Dekks

Hi there everyone

I've asked this before indirectly but would like to double check, if my fianceé is a
student, (we plan to marry next summer), as long as her parents are co sponsors on
the I-134 form, do we have a chance? Also we can't get married before may the 5th as
that is when she breaks for the summer, when would be the best time to submit
application for a may-august wedding bearing in mind it would be impossible for us to
get married before that time? And should i start getting things like police
certificates, birth certicicates etc uptogether now in preperation? I read the faq
but sitll not sure on a few things. (she is visiting me in around 6 weeks time, and
hten i am staying in boston for a few weeks at christmas so we were thinking of going
through the application at december so we can fill in biolography information
together and then submit it just before chirstmas.

One last questions, i keep reading about medicals at de phelans, are these medicals
arranged by the embassy/consulate the same day as your interview? or have people
arranged these themselves?

Any advice is appreciated before we start the long paperwork tunnel

Good luck to everyone curently doing their K-1. Hope to join you all in a few
months!!

Derek

Old Jul 7th 2001, 10:37 pm
Rob Knaggs

Hi Dekks

As long as one or other of her parents earns at least 125% of the poverty level, that
should be fine. It doesn't matter how many co-sponsors you have but one of them at
least has to earn that much.

A lot depends on which INS service center your fiancée files with, but I would say
allow at least 6-7 months for everything to go through. So Christmas or even earlier
sounds like a good time to begin.

There's no reason why you can't start collecting all the documentation you need now,
especially the police certificate, which takes time to obtain... just don't get
carried away and rob any banks after you have it!

The embassy arranges the medical at Dr Phelan's the same day as your interview.
You can't have it done by your own GP, so there's no getting out of the £85 fee
I'm afraid!

Hope this helps, and the best of luck on your journey!

Rob Knaggs

>
    >
    >
    >
parents
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
not
    >
i
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 8th 2001, 6:36 am
Troy Bull

>
    >
    >
    >
parents
    >
    >
    >

Yesterday!

>
    >
    >
not
    >
i
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 8th 2001, 1:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not planning on getting married until after May 5, 2002 I would not start the process of getting the police clearance now. I would start in January after you have filed for the I-129F. In the UK it takes about 6 weeks to get the certificate and it should not be so old that you would have to reapply for it. At this point in time, since you won't be filing before December, you can get your affairs in order and get your long form birth certificate, former marriage certificates, divorce decrees, proof of relationship, i.e., photographs, cards, letters (with envelopes), airport boarding passes, etc.

As for the medical, that is done on the morning of you K-1 interview and is made by the US Consulate for you. You can go to your internist now and make sure you have the vaccinations you will need for the medical up-to-date and bring proof of them with you for the medical with Dr. Phelan.

Remember also to never send originals of anything for any of the processing you will be going through. Send copies only and keep the originals to be brought to the interview with you. Another suggestion is for every package you send off, make another "copy" package in the same exact order for yourself and your records. It helps to be able to look back and "know" that you have sent off this and that with the petitions/applications. Also if your application/petition is lost you have another backup copy close at hand.

Rita