Form I-143 Help Needed!

Old Jul 8th 2001, 12:28 am
tom

Hello and thanks for reading. My wife and I are US citizens, she just recently
naturalized. We want to have her mother and father who live in China come visit us to
see the birth of our first born child. We understand that in order for her parents to
get a tourist visa, we need to file a form -134 which says that we will support them.
No problem there, happy to do it. However, this form is written from the perspective
of the filer being single. I have a bunch of questions. Does it matter if I file this
form instead of my wife? I am working, she just quit her job to raise the new child.
Can we combine our assets or must I seperate them out? (her 401k, life
insurance...etc). The form makes no mention of any joint assests. Its written in the
first person. Many thanks to anyone who can help me file this form properly.

on another note, any suggestions on how to help totally non english speaking people
through the immigration and customs? I am worried about how hard this will be for
them. thanks again,

tom

[email protected]

Old Jul 8th 2001, 3:13 pm
Ed MacNeil

Hi Tom,

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. I DON'T EVEN PLAY
ONE ON TV!

Unlike form I-864, form I-134 does not require that any specific person (such as the
sponsor) sign. Thus, you may complete this form in favor of your in-laws.

You may consider jointly held assets as yours for the purpose of this form.

The reason you are asked to show your income and assets is to allow INS to determine
if you would be able to support these folks to at least 125% of the poverty level. I
suspect you would.

Ed MacNeil Ancient Aviator North Hampton, NH, USA

tom wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >