Advice after H1B expiration

Old May 19th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Advice after H1B expiration

My H1B expires at the end of June. Not a problem.. making all necessary plans. At the same time am considering a move to Canada (apparently my prospects are favourable), so will probably put things in storage in the US instead of taking it all back to the UK.

Question: I want to go up to Canada after leaving the USA just for a small break before going back to England, but also to check out some employment prospects. What is the limitation on coming back into the USA after expiration of an H1B? It would be more to tie up a couple of loose ends and then the flight to the UK.

Thanks.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:06 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice after H1B expiration

Originally Posted by cathy22w
What is the limitation on coming back into the USA after expiration of an H1B? It would be more to tie up a couple of loose ends and then the flight to the UK.
Thanks.
There are no specific requirements or limitations for a former H1B seeking to come back to the US for a visit. You will have to be clearly admissible as a visitor.

The fact that you just finished an H1B, could be cause for concern though.

H1B applicants for admission don't need to maintain a foreign residence, and are allowed have immigrant intent.

B1/B2/WT/WB applicants must be maintaining a foreign residence and are must be able to prove that they do not have immigrant intent.

Leaving the US for a trip to Canada and back could be risky if you have not established a foreign residence.

You could always file a Change of Status application (Form I-539) to a B2 in order to settle your affairs and depart. You could visit Canada on the way back to the UK.

If you decide to attempt the Canada and back to the US trip, be prepared to show a ticket back to the UK in a reasonable period of time, steps you've taken to give up your US residence (turning off the utlities, phone, cable, selling the car, moving the items to storage etc) and steps you've taken to establish a foreign residence.

Keep in mind that you need to depart the US or seek a change of status before the I-94 expires or ASAP if you stop working for the US employer.

If you seek to enter Canada with an expired I-94 with nothing filed, they may refuse to let you into Canada. If they send you back to the US, you may get arrested, ordered to appear before an immigration judge and put in an detention facility/jail until you can post a bond.

Last edited by crg; May 19th 2009 at 9:09 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by crg14624
There are no specific requirements or limitations for a former H1B seeking to come back to the US for a visit. You will have to be clearly admissible as a visitor.

The fact that you just finished an H1B, could be cause for concern though.

H1B applicants for admission don't need to maintain a foreign residence, and are allowed have immigrant intent.

B1/B2/WT/WB applicants must be maintaining a foreign residence and are must be able to prove that they do not have immigrant intent.

Leaving the US for a trip to Canada and back could be risky if you have not established a foreign residence.

You could always file a Change of Status application (Form I-539) to a B2 in order to settle your affairs and depart. You could visit Canada on the way back to the UK.

If you decide to attempt the Canada and back to the US trip, be prepared to show a ticket back to the UK in a reasonable period of time, steps you've taken to give up your US residence (turning off the utlities, phone, cable, selling the car, moving the items to storage etc) and steps you've taken to establish a foreign residence.

Keep in mind that you need to depart the US or seek a change of status before the I-94 expires or ASAP if you stop working for the US employer.

If you seek to enter Canada with an expired I-94 with nothing filed, they may refuse to let you into Canada. If they send you back to the US, you may get arrested, ordered to appear before an immigration judge and put in an detention facility/jail until you can post a bond.
Is it straightforward to file an I539? How long does that take?
Old May 20th 2009, 12:42 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It can take a few months, but you're allowed to remain in the US while it is pending. Departing and seeking to reenter the US while it is pending is not advised.

Here's a link the application.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old May 20th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

It can take a few months, but you're allowed to remain in the US while it is pending. Departing and seeking to reenter the US while it is pending is not advised.

Here's a link the application.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Hmm... looking at the form, it doesn't seem to apply to H1b holders, but only their dependents. Or am I reading it wrong?
Old May 20th 2009, 5:33 pm
crg
American Expat

Hmm... looking at the form, it doesn't seem to apply to H1b holders, but only their dependents. Or am I reading it wrong?
I know you can't extend an H1B with the form, but I believe you can apply to change to a B2 with the form.

It doesn't list an H1B under the "Who may not file" section.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know you can't extend an H1B with the form, but I believe you can apply to change to a B2 with the form.

It doesn't list an H1B under the "Who may not file" section.
Ok.... think I might give this a whirl. Looks ok to me. Nobody offered this as an option when I found out my H1B wasn't being renewed.

Thanks!
Old May 20th 2009, 10:48 pm
crg
American Expat

Ok.... think I might give this a whirl. Looks ok to me. Nobody offered this as an option when I found out my H1B wasn't being renewed.

Thanks!
If you decide to take a spin through Canada on the way out, be sure to have the receipts available and a plane ticket from Canada to the UK.