Advance Parole - Question

Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:33 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default Advance Parole - Question

I have an H1-B visa which needs to be revalidated in the UK. It originally expired in May 2004, and has been extended until May 2007. However, I know that if I travel to the UK I will need to have it revalidated to return to the US.

I am also married to a US citizen and will be filing for AOS within the next week. I am also filing for Advance Parole & an EAD. My question is, if I get the AP & EAD within 3 months, will I still need to get my H1-B revalidated, or will the AP & EAD document be sufficient for travel to and from the UK? Not having to get the H1-B revalidated will save me around $200 and a lot of hassle in the UK.

I hope that makes sense. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance Parole - Question

Originally posted by csf
I have an H1-B visa which needs to be revalidated in the UK. It originally expired in May 2004, and has been extended until May 2007. However, I know that if I travel to the UK I will need to have it revalidated to return to the US.

I am also married to a US citizen and will be filing for AOS within the next week. I am also filing for Advance Parole & an EAD. My question is, if I get the AP & EAD within 3 months, will I still need to get my H1-B revalidated, or will the AP & EAD document be sufficient for travel to and from the UK? Not having to get the H1-B revalidated will save me around $200 and a lot of hassle in the UK.

I hope that makes sense. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
When you file for AOS, you no longer need your H1B visa.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:48 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by andrea874
When you file for AOS, you no longer need your H1B visa.
Great. That's what I was hoping to hear

When I am approved for AP & EAD, do I take those documents with me to get back into the US, or do I need to get my passport restamped somehow?

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by csf

When I am approved for AP & EAD, do I take those documents with me to get back into the US, or do I need to get my passport restamped somehow?

Thanks.
The AP is what gets you back into the US. I havent been approved for it yet so I don't know exactly how it works, but personally I would take every bit of ID that you have, with you... passport, etc...
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by csf

Thanks.

And EAD is for work only. You don't even need to carry it with you. Advance Parole is for re-entry into the US without USCIS considering your AOS petition abandoned. It should not be used by anyone who has an overstay of more that 179 days.

Please note, however, that having filed for AOS does not mean you have the right to work. It is only the EAD that gives you that right. So if your H-1B expires before your EAD is issued, you no longer have the right to continue working even for the same employer

Rete
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

NOLA_Dave is on a distinguished road

N/M

Last edited by NOLA_Dave; Jul 1st 2004 at 7:46 pm.