Wikiposts

2 months in new york?

Old May 4th 2007, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Carolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really nice
Default Re: 2 months in new york?

Originally Posted by Ridski
It's always hard giving suggestions when I don't know what you're really into, but here's a pretty and free(?) guide called Not For Tourists. I think you can download the entire book in PDF format, as long as you don't distribute it or plan to sell it or owt. I work in NYC and lived in Queens for 3 years before that. There's absolutely tons of things going on, but it all depends on what you like doing.

You can also check out Time Out NYC for upcoming events and shows, etc. Hope this helps some and good luck on your new adventure!
Thank you Ridski and Veronica these are exactly the type of things im looking for, ill be sure to make notes of all of these. Celsius thank you, i have actually seen a lot of America in fact nearly every state on the east coast and i can honestly say New York wouldnt be my first choice but it is where he lives and i want to see more of where he lives!
Old May 4th 2007, 3:15 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to say that South Street seaport has music and the water taxi, as it is by the Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side) there are amazing views of the bridge. There are rock or rap bands, harpists, depending on the day. I have been here many years and never tire of it. It was all re-done in the 70's. The best shopping mall in NY, many hand crafted things, restaurants on balconies overlooking the river where you can watch the boats and yachts sail out, a few English pubs, a Museum shop, really, great place.

This is the Brit Consulate site and on the right gives British Organizations in NY (I belong to about 4 of these)
http://www.britainusa.com/ny/article...=34014&a=39601
They often have fun events for everyone.
Old May 4th 2007, 3:21 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I live round the corner from the park so it is my back garden!!! Always something going on here, usually free. Concerts, opera, ballet. Saturdays and Sundays there are bands playing all over the park, jugglers, opera singers rehearsing, everything. Go to Strawberry Fields, the boat lake, the Bethesda Fountain

http://www.centralparknyc.org/thenandnow
Old May 4th 2007, 3:26 am
British New Yorker

Old May 4th 2007, 3:29 am
British New Yorker

Old May 4th 2007, 3:50 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Does anyone have a link to a definitive source that says you can do volunteer work while on the Visa Waiver Program? It's a question that comes up sometimes and sometimes I see people being told (on immigration boards) they need to get B1s.
If you're on a tourist visa (either Visa Waiver or B2 visa) you CANNOT do any official volantary work while you're there. If you get caught doing paid or volantary work while there, you'll be banned outright for 10 years.

New York is a wonderful, wonderful city, though. If you get the chance to spend two months there, it sounds like a DREAM. I'd recommend the Central Park Zoo - see the penguins and the little ginger panda. Go up the Empire State Building. Check out all the lego at Toys R Us in Time Square.

Just don't be careless and screw up your chances of living there permanantly. Make sure you're TOTALLY upfront with the immigration guys because if you get caught out with one little lie they have the authority to boot your ass back across the atlantic. I know - they did it to me. Back and forth across the atlantic in 18 hours.
Old May 4th 2007, 5:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, your not moving to the US for two months, your visiting, otherwise bloke at POE would probably bounce you.

You can look for work while on the VWP, but I wouldn't actually do any work.

Voluntary work would be work that would not ordinarily be a paid position.

Try helping out at an animal shelter, soup kitchen...that sort of thing...
Old May 4th 2007, 5:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
If you're on a tourist visa (either Visa Waiver or B2 visa) you CANNOT do any official volantary work while you're there. If you get caught doing paid or volantary work while there, you'll be banned outright for 10 years.
not exactly right, you can do trade shows, set things up, lecture etc, all perfectly legal on the VWP.
Old May 4th 2007, 5:46 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not exactly right, you can do trade shows, set things up, lecture etc, all perfectly legal on the VWP.
Short business trips is how they class it. For people who have to fly to New York for a business meeting or, as you put it, a trade show or something.

All fine - as long as you're not getting paid through the USA.
Old May 4th 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

There are a million things to do here in the big apple - but be careful. What do you actually want to achieve while here - doing the tourist thing is great, and a brilliant opportunity - but it is nothing like actually living here. Doing the museums etc will probably not be a good indicator of whether you want to live here permanently - which I think is what you said was your objective.

It isnt easy meeting people/friends in the city without the work network - but gym, clubs, classes that kind of thing might be a good start. Will you actually be living in the city or the burbs?

Sorry - dont mean to sound negative!

The Not for tourists mentioned before is excellent and well worth buying the 'real' book!

Good luck!
Old May 4th 2007, 7:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Short business trips is how they class it. For people who have to fly to New York for a business meeting or, as you put it, a trade show or something.

you can for those kinds of business, because it isn't salaried, expenses are okay too....but your right, for what the OP is looking for, it's shaky grounds, but if she got married to a USC and AOS'ed, work on the dodge, as over stays are usually forgiven, though I wouldn't recommend it.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband used to fly to the US most weeks for 2 years on the VWP working for US clients.

I think there is a limit to the amout of days you can do that in a one year period.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:38 am
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband used to fly to the US most weeks for 2 years on the VWP working for US clients.

I think there is a limit to the amout of days you can do that in a one year period.
Wow. How did he get paid?

I was warned that a US paycheque could cause problems.

I think I skirted the rules too, but I got paid in US Dollars while working in Paris, so I'm not quite sure what the grounding was.

My French bank account processed US cheques in 4 days. Nat West took 28 days. What's that all about???:curse:
Old May 4th 2007, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. How did he get paid?

I was warned that a US paycheque could cause problems.

I think I skirted the rules too, but I got paid in US Dollars while working in Paris, so I'm not quite sure what the grounding was.

My French bank account processed US cheques in 4 days. Nat West took 28 days. What's that all about???:curse:
Partner in a large international company. The client paid the US branch of the company...they had no one here who could do the job. He was paid by the British company in sterling. All above board...he didn't exceed the required number of days.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

From what I know, there isn't a actual limit on the days. A rough guideline is more time out than in. And then it's just up to the agent at the POE.

And to the OP - make sure you try cheesecake, and (gigantic) deli sandwiches. And the New Yorkers would brag about their pizza (tho us Chicagoans would disagree lol).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.