2 months in new york?

Old May 4th 2007, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Carolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really nice
Default 2 months in new york?

After a year of short trips between London and NYC my boyfriend and i have decided that i will move to NYC for two months (it is the longest time i can get off work) in September and October.

During the time he will be at work i would really like to get involved in life in New York as we hope to eventually make it a permanant move and i'd like to see how i like the city. I have still got a lot of art gallerys to see and other things like that but id like to do some more sociable activities. I dont imagine i can join a gym as im not a US citizen but i would like to do some yoga/pilates or dance classes.

I'd really love some advice and recommendations of things i could get involved in while im there. Im quite adventurous and love to try new things.

I work in childrens tv production and at a childrens summer camp so have good childcare references, what are the possibilities of being able to do some babysitting while im over there??

I hope i havent been too cheeky asking for advice but any you can give would be great!

Thank you
x
Old May 4th 2007, 1:34 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months in new york?

Originally Posted by Carolineclair
After a year of short trips between London and NYC my boyfriend and i have decided that i will move to NYC for two months (it is the longest time i can get off work) in September and October.

During the time he will be at work i would really like to get involved in life in New York as we hope to eventually make it a permanant move and i'd like to see how i like the city. I have still got a lot of art gallerys to see and other things like that but id like to do some more sociable activities. I dont imagine i can join a gym as im not a US citizen but i would like to do some yoga/pilates or dance classes.

I'd really love some advice and recommendations of things i could get involved in while im there. Im quite adventurous and love to try new things.

I work in childrens tv production and at a childrens summer camp so have good childcare references, what are the possibilities of being able to do some babysitting while im over there??

I hope i havent been too cheeky asking for advice but any you can give would be great!

Thank you
x
Don't expect positive responses here to your questions about working illegally while here on a VWP or visitor's visa. Generally those of us who are over here legally, and have gone through the huge trouble and expense that it takes, don't look kindly on the endless questions we are asked about how to find illegal work in the US.

Good luck with your trip. Remember that if you work while you're here, there's a strong possibility that you will permanently end your chances of immigrating legally in future.

EDIT: By the way, I can't see any reason why you can't join a gym when you're here. If you can find one that doesn't require a long-term commitment (most do month-by-month now anyway) then the fact that you're not a "citizen" (you probably mean a legal resident) doesn't matter. If it's a problem, get your boyfriend to pay, and pay him back.

Last edited by dbj1000; May 4th 2007 at 1:37 pm.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Carolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really nice

I completely understand what you're saying about the legal work issue and to be honest i didnt make my intentions clear. My main priority is not the payment of babysitting, i am willing to give up my time for free. I am going over with more than enough money to cover my two months there, but i would like to fill my time usefully. Im hoping to retrain as a special needs teacher when i come back to england starting January 2008 and would like to use the time to build up my childcare portfolio and references. If this is something that would still be frowned upon even without payment i would like to know as i will then steer clear completely. I am well aware of the risks of illegal work in the US and wouldnt want to jeopardise that.

With regards to the gym i assumed i might need a US bank account? If thats not the case that would be fab!

Thank you and im sorry my first posting didnt really explain properly!!

x
Old May 4th 2007, 1:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

You could be a volunteer at a children's hospital. They use loads of volunteers in the hospitals here.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Mallory

Thats an excellent idea!! I never would have thought of that, ill definitely look into it.

x
Old May 4th 2007, 1:58 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I completely understand what you're saying about the legal work issue and to be honest i didnt make my intentions clear. My main priority is not the payment of babysitting, i am willing to give up my time for free. I am going over with more than enough money to cover my two months there, but i would like to fill my time usefully. Im hoping to retrain as a special needs teacher when i come back to england starting January 2008 and would like to use the time to build up my childcare portfolio and references. If this is something that would still be frowned upon even without payment i would like to know as i will then steer clear completely. I am well aware of the risks of illegal work in the US and wouldnt want to jeopardise that.

With regards to the gym i assumed i might need a US bank account? If thats not the case that would be fab!

Thank you and im sorry my first posting didnt really explain properly!!

x
OK, that sounds perfectly reasonable. Be careful though - if there is similar confusion over whether you were doing paid work while here, you will have one hell of a time explaining it to the Immigration authorities.

In particular, be aware that undertaking "volunteer" work for which a US person would normally be paid is also not allowed. To me, that pretty much rules out free babysitting, but allows more formal volunteer work, like Mallory suggested.
Old May 4th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
x
If you have a sense of adventure and want to learn more about the US, how about volunteering at child oriented non-profits in NY? I don't know if you'd be eligible to do so (because you're a visitor, not a resident. A criminal background check may be required.). e.g. AIDS/HIV charities, after school programs, etc.

Do you speak Spanish or any other foreign language? Using this in a voluntary capacity would be useful in NYC.
Old May 4th 2007, 2:06 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a link to a definitive source that says you can do volunteer work while on the Visa Waiver Program? It's a question that comes up sometimes and sometimes I see people being told (on immigration boards) they need to get B1s.
Old May 4th 2007, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
OK, that sounds perfectly reasonable. Be careful though - if there is similar confusion over whether you were doing paid work while here, you will have one hell of a time explaining it to the Immigration authorities.

In particular, be aware that undertaking "volunteer" work for which a US person would normally be paid is also not allowed. To me, that pretty much rules out free babysitting, but allows more formal volunteer work, like Mallory suggested.
Thank you i wasnt aware doing voluntary work for which an american would be paid was illegal so thanks for pointing that out!
Old May 4th 2007, 2:09 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Does anyone have a link to a definitive source that says you can do volunteer work while on the Visa Waiver Program? It's a question that comes up sometimes and sometimes I see people being told (on immigration boards) they need to get B1s.
Actually, you're right to point that out - I don't have any evidence to back up my opinions... but hey, that applies to all areas of my life!
Old May 4th 2007, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Ok i will certainly make sure i check that out

but off the volunteer point what else should i try and experience while in New York do any of you have favourite places that visitors dont know about, specific areas to visit favourite museums...ill try anything (within reason that wasnt supposed to sound smutty i just really am open to all ideas!)
Old May 4th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

but off the volunteer point what else should i try and experience while in New York do any of you have favourite places that visitors dont know about, specific areas to visit favourite museums...ill try anything (within reason that wasnt supposed to sound smutty i just really am open to all ideas!)
I would suggest venturing beyond NYC and NY state if possible. Take weekend trips to neighboring states or even better get your boyfriend to take time off and do a "road trip". Visit the South or the mid-West states. There's more to the US than NYC!
Old May 4th 2007, 2:42 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about volunteer work, I don't believe you can. You can call the British Consulate here though, they will know. Also call British Tourist Information on 5th Avenue, they may not know as they have the info for Britain but the would know where to ask here.

There are a lot of British Organizations here that have a lot of social events. We just had Wales Week and Scottish Week recently so lots of parties with entertainment and free concerts.
Old May 4th 2007, 2:50 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

You have to spend a day at South street Seaport, a must. Amazing views, great little shops in cobbled streets and one of the liveliest places in New York, it has great energy.

Also, if you fancy a quiet day there is a promenade over on the west side which is wonderful (never seen a tourist there yet, just New Yorkers out for a stroll/run or walking their dogs) You can walk to the New York boat basin where there is a restaurant (low key, hamburgers, salads type of thing) that is up on a balcony and has the best NY sunsets you have ever seen. Summer months you can't get a table on the balcony at sunset unless you are very lucky!
Old May 4th 2007, 2:56 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

It's always hard giving suggestions when I don't know what you're really into, but here's a pretty and free(?) guide called Not For Tourists. I think you can download the entire book in PDF format, as long as you don't distribute it or plan to sell it or owt. I work in NYC and lived in Queens for 3 years before that. There's absolutely tons of things going on, but it all depends on what you like doing.

You can also check out Time Out NYC for upcoming events and shows, etc. Hope this helps some and good luck on your new adventure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.