Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old May 25th 2007, 8:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sounds like spam to me
Spectacular track record you have...
Old May 25th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

The only point that I have a problem with is that people are really grateful of British people coming here, and Kathymarie seems to have got to know the locals and local police pretty quick to give her an opinion about Zillmere
Old May 25th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Be interested to know which pubs are employing her kids without them going on the course first.....and thats just for starters!

I wondered that as im an experienced bar person & have phoned a few bars/hotels only to be told that i couldnt be employed as i didnt have the relevant certificate to work in bars & gaming rooms!

As for finding other work, ive been trying for 2 months now to get back into an admin role & got nowhere. Its not that easy esp if you cant drive. Ive even tried for waitressing & cleaning jobs & got nowwhere so if anyone has any ideas then maybe they can let me know!!

Judex
Old May 25th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

PS if the poster is genuine then ok i apologise but im still intrigued how you can know somewhere so well after just a few weeks

Im 18 mths down the line & i still dont know some of the areas which are good & which are bad!!!
Old May 28th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there all of you including the people who slandered my write up.

I just want to get a few facts right.

1. I did not have to do a theory test for my licence, it is not required anymore.

2. I live in Bridgeman Downs now in a rental that cost me $430 per week. It has 4 bedrooms, the largest master room I have seen with walk in robe, two sinks, bath shower and toliet. It has 3 bathrooms, five rooms downstairs and a family room upstairs.

3. When I said that food was twice the quality, I was actually refering to fresh fruit, vegetables and meat and not tinned food.

4. My children did not get a job in a pub, they were offered jobs with people who were at the pub. My son is decorating for someone and gets paid $120 dollars per day.

5. I have zero rating for two reasons. I have never posted before and as I said, I only posted this time because I thought that it would be helpful to people.

6. I have not advertised anything purposely. I was offering help to genuine people that needed it. Most of my offers of advice were not even posted, I told people to contact me for further information.

I have now been here for 6 weeks and I have yet to find anyhting that I do not like about the place. The reason that I am not on here posting every two minutes is because I have such a fnatastic life and the last thing I want to do is be sat wasting my time reading all of the insults that people have chosen to write.

I hope that anyone who is genuinely interested in further information will post me privtely so I can help in anyway I can without being slated.

I spent three years emmigrating and investigated everything I could. I have sound advice for people wanting it. My family are the most important people in my life and I was scared to death at the thought of moving which is why I spent so much time looking into things and which is why I wrote this thread in the first place.

Kind Regards

Kathy Marie
Glad to hear you have settled so quick, and your kids are loving it also, ignore all the bad post and hope you keep posting any advice you can give to others
Old May 29th 2007, 4:16 am
Just Joined

kathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by megansmummy
PS if the poster is genuine then ok i apologise but im still intrigued how you can know somewhere so well after just a few weeks

Im 18 mths down the line & i still dont know some of the areas which are good & which are bad!!!
You need to read additional post I have wrote with regards to the slander you gave me about the bar jobs.

I guess that you don't know the area as well because you do not drive.

Again............read my other posts about the fact that I spent three years looking into as much as I could before I got here. If you want to know things then you need to get out there and find the answers just like I have done instead of just being so negative about things and moaning at what other people have wrote.
Old May 29th 2007, 6:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kathymarie
You need to read additional post I have wrote with regards to the slander you gave me about the bar jobs.

I guess that you don't know the area as well because you do not drive.

Again............read my other posts about the fact that I spent three years looking into as much as I could before I got here. If you want to know things then you need to get out there and find the answers just like I have done instead of just being so negative about things and moaning at what other people have wrote.
Apparently its OK to call someone negative when in fact they are suffering from severe and genuine homesickness.

I am therefore removing my original post and you can all moderate the thread yourselves.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 31st 2007 at 9:59 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Pollyanna!!

Last edited by Pollyana; May 31st 2007 at 10:04 am. Reason: I've removed my original quote as people have objected to my moderating of the thread
Old May 30th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is no call to be rude.
Meagnsmummy was referring to the post I made. I had wondered about the bar job as initially you didn't actually say that they weren't working as bar staff. The majority of posters like myself assume that a "bar job" means serving in a bar, for which you need a licence here. Your post clarifying this issue was made later.
You will also see that Megansmummy apologised if you were a genuine poster - bearing that in mind I don't see that there was any call for you to be so nasty. Can I suggest that you take some of your own advice and read some her HER other posts, after which you may realise she is not being "negative and moaning", she has a serious case of geunine homesickness.
Sorry Polly but I don't think that her post was rude compared to what people have said about her (not megans mummy) yet nothing was said to any of them

I think she would be within her rights to be rude to a lot of people on this thread but has chosen not to. Good for her.
Old May 30th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

going - going - gone has a brilliant futuregoing - going - gone has a brilliant futuregoing - going - gone has a brilliant futuregoing - going - gone has a brilliant futuregoing - going - gone has a brilliant futuregoing - going - gone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by raven
GLAD U ARE SETTLING IN WELL AND ENJOYING LIFE. But be careful ,homesickness kicks in when u least expect it and please do not paint the place with rose tinted glasses as thier are downfalls and most people reading your post would think the roads are paved with gold. Do not wish to have a go but i have only been here 7 months and have found it hard going at times but worth it in the end
Raven
I think it makes a nice change to read a positive post, and one that is quite informative.
People need to remember that " one mans wine is another mans poison " every one is entitled to their own opinion, good or bad but it seems if you dont post very regular you seem to get shot down quiet often, hence why I dont post.
It wasnt that long ago when everyone was new to this site, its meant to be about sharing our experiences and providing support ect.. lets try not to forget that!!!!!!!!
Old May 30th 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by going - going - gone
I think it makes a nice change to read a positive post, and one that is quite informative.
People need to remember that " one mans wine is another mans poison " every one is entitled to their own opinion, good or bad but it seems if you dont post very regular you seem to get shot down quiet often, hence why I dont post.
It wasnt that long ago when everyone was new to this site, its meant to be about sharing our experiences and providing support ect.. lets try not to forget that!!!!!!!!
Don't be afraid to post. They are generally a great bunch on here, albeit a bit suspicious of very positive new posters I've learnt a lot of useful info on here over the years and no matter what your question there's always someone willing to give you some advice.

I don't know how people managed to move to Aus without the help of the internet
Old May 30th 2007, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Ace Rimmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I am just taking the first few tentative steps towards a new life in Brisbane. I think?
I have loads of questions and I hope you can all be patient with me if I show my ignorance.
I have heard that Queensland is having the biggest recruitment drive for 40 years and has a big shortage of trades people. I have also heard that there is a big mining and oil/gas industry in the Brisbane area.
Can anyone confirm this?
I am a plater/welder with oil experience as well as manufacturing experience as a quality technician. What are my chances of getting sponsorship or do I have to risk it and hope to get work when I arrive.
Whats the best area for heavy industry?
What sort of wage can I expect as a welder? and how does that compare with rental/house buying costs and cost of living.
I am thinking of loads more but will leave it there for now. Anyone willing to help out a hungry Geordie?
Old May 31st 2007, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

katietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant futurekatietops01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
And why didn't she have to do a driving theory test like the rest of us? Something's not quite right. And how come her post count is 0 when she's obviously posted at least once?

Jane
Actually, the requirement for UK driving licence holders to sit the theory test ended in march 2006. We sat ours when we got here in September, and in November were sent a cheque from Queensland Transport to refund our money, saying that we shouldn't have had to sit it in the first place.

We came over here with a job offer for my husband, but I had to find a job when we got here. I am in Civil Engineering too, and had 3 job offers within the first week.

Our move went very smoothly, we bought a house in January, and are loving every minute of our time here. We are on the Gold Coast, but I work in Brisbane, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no better place on earth.

Katie
Old May 31st 2007, 7:02 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katietops01
Actually, the requirement for UK driving licence holders to sit the theory test ended in march 2006. We sat ours when we got here in September, and in November were sent a cheque from Queensland Transport to refund our money, saying that we shouldn't have had to sit it in the first place.

We came over here with a job offer for my husband, but I had to find a job when we got here. I am in Civil Engineering too, and had 3 job offers within the first week.

Our move went very smoothly, we bought a house in January, and are loving every minute of our time here. We are on the Gold Coast, but I work in Brisbane, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no better place on earth.

Katie
I've already admitted I made a mistake, no need to rub my nose in it.

Glad you're happy. There are many many genuinely unhappy people posting on here just now and its nice to hear of somebody genuinely being happy and settled.

Jane
Old May 31st 2007, 7:32 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Sorry Polly but I don't think that her post was rude compared to what people have said about her (not megans mummy) yet nothing was said to any of them

I think she would be within her rights to be rude to a lot of people on this thread but has chosen not to. Good for her.
I agree with you Tracey !!! A very one sided telling off so to speak ! Karma sent for telling it how it is !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.