Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old May 1st 2007, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

kathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nice
Default What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house (pm poster to get details of rental) We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 2nd 2007 at 9:39 am. Reason: advertising plugs removed
Old May 1st 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Hi kathymarie - thanks for posting your experience.....good to read, I am sure people will be asking lots more questions!!!

Will be there myself in Jan 08 (married to an Aussie and we have 3 kids...not applied for the visa yet but should be straightforward enough). He wnats to live near the city and I want to be out on some acres with views and peace and quiet - so would be interested to know where you are looking to end up (are you going to buy?) and if you have looked at any of the other suburbs.

Best of luck in your new life!!

RAchel
Old May 1st 2007, 6:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like spam to me
Old May 1st 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

Thanks for the poitive post

Good to hear that your children are luvving it already:thumbsup

We are heading out to Brisbane in July and i hope our experience turns out tobe as great as yours sounds.

Can you let me know where you got your cars?
Old May 1st 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

loved your outlook on brissie,hoping to be there around august time,got a few questions so will pm you , if you dont mind,really glad your kids are liking it too.but then they dont have a choice,ha ha,.we are hoping my hubby gets a job that quick too but he is an electrcian so gotta do his licence too.
speak soon and thanks again.

kelsey and andy x
Old May 1st 2007, 6:57 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by kathymarie

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

There are short cuts to getting a rental also. We walked into a agent that let us a house that had not yet been advertised.
Yes, please
Old May 1st 2007, 7:14 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

What a positive post.

Well done to you and good luck to you and your family

C
Old May 1st 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

I emigrated to Australia on 16th April 2007. I spent hours back in the UK reading Expats and craved info on what to expect and what I needed to do. I never really found it that easy to get all the information that I needed in one go so I thought that when I got here, I would learn and share my experiences with you all in the hope that I made real sense for you all.

We came here on a 136 permanent residence visa and had to begin our lives. Here's what we found:

1. We started our journey with a temporary house with www.familyfriendlyhomes.com.au The owners are Karen and David Fuller. They have 9 houses that are immaculate and ideal for a start in Brisbane. We have a 5 bed room house in a fantastic area but prices are quite high so only really good for short term. The house is fully equipped with everything you need.

This gave us time to look around the area and find somewhere appropriate to stay longer term.

We are about 25kms outside Brisbane centre in Bridgeman Downs. Caseldine, McDowall, Aspley and Albany Creek are brilliant. Don't look at Zillmere as we are told by the police and locals that the area is troubled and not a nice place to stay. A local supermarket person told me that her dad is a postman and that the children there throw things at him (make your own mind up.

Schools in this area are fantastic. The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here. people are so friendly it is such a pleasure being here.

My husband is a civil engineer and had a job within the week (poor him).

There are so many places on your door step like Bribie Island which is like something from a postcard, pure white sand and turquoise sea.

Medicare took half an hour to organise, you need your passports with your visa's and that is all.

Enrolling at a school is childs play. They have catchment areas so take care where you stay if you want a particular school.

There are so many jobs for those that wish to work. My older children were offered jobs in a local pub.

The weather is fantastic and not too hot this time of year. I can tell you all of the cheap shops in the area and how to barter.

There are loads or childcare facilities ranging from private to statutory and for some reason, Thursdays seem to be fully booked in most places.

A great 4 bedroom house with 2/3 bathrooms and 3 living rooms range between $300 and $500 per week.

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Food is equivalent to UK prices but it is double the quality. Fresh fruit and Veg is a little dearer due to the lack of rain/water.

I have children ranging from 2 to 19 and they have all eventually fallen in love with the place (two and a half weeks later).

You will never ever want to go back to the UK. That I can promise you.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
THIS IS A CASE OF THE ROSE TINTED GLASSES
BUT BEST OF LUCK TO YOU
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:19 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Great post - I think people who start out positive often stay that way! Good Luck - we arrive in Brisbane in a months time and can't wait.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=tallboy21;4725067]THIS IS A CASE OF THE ROSE TINTED GLASSES

I think this is a case of " Throwing water on the fire", talk about spoiling someone elses fun!!!!!

KathyMarie - Wear those "rose tinted glasses" for as long you like, that's what i say
Hope your new life is great every day......
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:57 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely spam I'd say....

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sounds like spam to me
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Originally Posted by Weasy
Why - do you think its someone trying to advertise their business???
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:50 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably - always a bit odd when a first time poster comes over as such a know it all and - surprise, surprise - there's a business link in there too.....

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by RachelH
Why - do you think its someone trying to advertise their business???
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:34 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody extortionate prices for the houses over $1100 per week!
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weasy
yeh definately a spam with lines like this
The people are just amazing and really grateful of British people coming here
what to push house prices up & keep the wages down ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.