Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Update - For the few that are interested.

Update - For the few that are interested.

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Update - For the few that are interested.

Paul, I admire you and Nic so much ...never say die
I just want to wish you and your family all the luck in the world and hope that your arms can be sorted. xxx.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Paul,

Hope all goes well, and dont worry about your son being at Hungry Jacks, some great people have had humble beginnings.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Good luck Paul,

Hope all goes well, and dont worry about your son being at Hungry Jacks, some great people have had humble beginnings.
But they didn't eat the burgers
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your decision, I can understand your thought process.

However, is there another branch of the armed forces that has a lower likelihood of deployment - ie. Navy or Air Force. What are the chances that you would get deployed to Afghanistan or so other place none of us want to be.

Would the police force be an option? I know it is not a trade, however it would be secure employment.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by seang
Paul,
Is there a chance in the 6 yrs that you could be sent overseas with the Army? Would check this out as you dont want to end up in baggers or the 'stan.(and also the wife being left behind while u overseas)
That's the risk you take with the army!
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Good luck Paul. You will be in good company in the army - there are lot's of Brits transferring from British Defence to the Australian Defence Force
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a plan- what are the entry requirements for the army? i.e age, visa status, etc something I could be interested in myself actually
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:49 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Dudes
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:50 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

best of luck paul, with whatever you decide
it seems like you have had your fair share of crap, not its gonna be someone else's turn
anyway, good luck
bec
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hey paul , get your son back to do grade 12 , far more chance of any job with grade 12 , even in the trades, son did electrical apprentice, was hundreds of applicants, all the kids who got accepted had grade 12. 3 years in hes nearly finished ( will graduate early ) and is looking at 80k with all the overtime they do.
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hey paul , get your son back to do grade 12 , far more chance of any job with grade 12 , even in the trades, son did electrical apprentice, was hundreds of applicants, all the kids who got accepted had grade 12. 3 years in hes nearly finished ( will graduate early ) and is looking at 80k with all the overtime they do.
Good luck paul !!
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:05 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Well, where do I start.

Nic is still in a cast after breaking her ankle. She's casual so it's been 3 weeks since any money came in from her ... feeling the pinch for once! ... ... and another 3 weeks to go! ...

I'm still looking for alternative work, but not having much joy to be honest. I have a few leads, but leads that will prob be more suited to my dog!

Now a PR at last I'm gonna get my arms sorted out. I broke them both in 2003 and they've not grafted (welded together) and altho they've given me jip for years, with a PR case to be decided I've been too scared to have them sorted out here, but as I say now is the time! I'm off to have them x-rayed on Monday and know the news will be bad, they'll NEED to be grafted so it'll be time off work. Time I no doubt won't be able to afford! ... but GOTTA be done if my 'next mission' is gonna be overcomed! ...

Next mission?

Well, I'm currently goin nowhere here being unskilled so it's looking like joining the army is my / our best bet. I can do the equivalent of a 4 year apprenticeship in 2 years in the army. We'll get all kinds of benefits inc free healthcare & dentistry, and will gain citizenship after 3 months of joining, which isn't to be sniffed at!

My tie in will be 6 years, but once qualified (Electrician) I'll be on £55k which again, isn't to be sniffed at!

Locations?

Well I have to do 8 weeks on my own in NSW. They tell you NOT to move your family there as you're basically not allowed away from camp. After that, we all move to Victoria for 12 months, followed by 12 - 18 months back in NSW. Once qualified I can opt to be posted back in QLD, either Brissie or Townsville!

My daughter has made her life here on the Goldie and has already said she doesn't want to come. She's gonna obtain her real estate licence soon and is basically sorted. Got a long time boyfriend and only a matter of time before she leaves home anyway!

The boy has left school and working part time for Hungry Jacks, basically goin nowhere so he'll follow suite and do an apprenticeship in the army by the looks of things.

I've got friends and family telling me this seems sooooo extreme, but at the end of the day we're just struggling and there isn't many options for us. The TV will tell you that QLD is crying out for trades, and how they're offering incentives to get mature apprentices and all the rest, but when you actually start looking for a decent (Sparkie or Plumber) apprenticeship, well, they're just NOT out there! I've spent a good 2 weeks phoning, emailing, and all the rest all kinds of apprenticeship centre's, electrical contractors, and everyone who advertises on SEEK and basically no one is interested! ... so what can I do!!

It's annoying as Nic will become permanent once she returns to work, and is sorted! ... but me! ... still clutching at straws and only last week I was sudgesting I go back to blighty again and drive a cab for 2 - 3 months. Nic REALLY doesn't want this, and if the truth be known I don't either! ... but I'm just soooo fed up with scrimping and scraping to get by ... I didn't come here for this!!!

Sooooo, my current mission is to get my arms sorted out so I can do 15 press ups. This is part of the fitness test to get into the army, the rest I know I can pass. Currently I cannot do one as my right arm is basically 50% strong, and down to the bone damage, but hopefully once they're both sorted, and a bit of physio etc I'll be right!

Anyway, that's the current state of play.

Please wish me luck!
sending lots of best wishes and good luck your way, at the end of the day theres no denying the two of you deserve it!! sending karma your way also
all the best lesley x
Old May 24th 2008, 2:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Well, where do I start.

Nic is still in a cast after breaking her ankle. She's casual so it's been 3 weeks since any money came in from her ... feeling the pinch for once! ... ... and another 3 weeks to go! ...

I'm still looking for alternative work, but not having much joy to be honest. I have a few leads, but leads that will prob be more suited to my dog!

Now a PR at last I'm gonna get my arms sorted out. I broke them both in 2003 and they've not grafted (welded together) and altho they've given me jip for years, with a PR case to be decided I've been too scared to have them sorted out here, but as I say now is the time! I'm off to have them x-rayed on Monday and know the news will be bad, they'll NEED to be grafted so it'll be time off work. Time I no doubt won't be able to afford! ... but GOTTA be done if my 'next mission' is gonna be overcomed! ...

Next mission?

Well, I'm currently goin nowhere here being unskilled so it's looking like joining the army is my / our best bet. I can do the equivalent of a 4 year apprenticeship in 2 years in the army. We'll get all kinds of benefits inc free healthcare & dentistry, and will gain citizenship after 3 months of joining, which isn't to be sniffed at!

My tie in will be 6 years, but once qualified (Electrician) I'll be on £55k which again, isn't to be sniffed at!

Locations?

Well I have to do 8 weeks on my own in NSW. They tell you NOT to move your family there as you're basically not allowed away from camp. After that, we all move to Victoria for 12 months, followed by 12 - 18 months back in NSW. Once qualified I can opt to be posted back in QLD, either Brissie or Townsville!

My daughter has made her life here on the Goldie and has already said she doesn't want to come. She's gonna obtain her real estate licence soon and is basically sorted. Got a long time boyfriend and only a matter of time before she leaves home anyway!

The boy has left school and working part time for Hungry Jacks, basically goin nowhere so he'll follow suite and do an apprenticeship in the army by the looks of things.

I've got friends and family telling me this seems sooooo extreme, but at the end of the day we're just struggling and there isn't many options for us. The TV will tell you that QLD is crying out for trades, and how they're offering incentives to get mature apprentices and all the rest, but when you actually start looking for a decent (Sparkie or Plumber) apprenticeship, well, they're just NOT out there! I've spent a good 2 weeks phoning, emailing, and all the rest all kinds of apprenticeship centre's, electrical contractors, and everyone who advertises on SEEK and basically no one is interested! ... so what can I do!!

It's annoying as Nic will become permanent once she returns to work, and is sorted! ... but me! ... still clutching at straws and only last week I was sudgesting I go back to blighty again and drive a cab for 2 - 3 months. Nic REALLY doesn't want this, and if the truth be known I don't either! ... but I'm just soooo fed up with scrimping and scraping to get by ... I didn't come here for this!!!

Sooooo, my current mission is to get my arms sorted out so I can do 15 press ups. This is part of the fitness test to get into the army, the rest I know I can pass. Currently I cannot do one as my right arm is basically 50% strong, and down to the bone damage, but hopefully once they're both sorted, and a bit of physio etc I'll be right!

Anyway, that's the current state of play.

Please wish me luck!
Hope your plan works out. All I can say is the army is great fun until you have to go to war.

Trust me on this, war ain't fun.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if he finishes school he will have a better choice of trades available.
ie Avionics instead of sparky.
Old May 24th 2008, 3:05 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the wishes of luck ...

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Going back again to the UK for more work is not the long term solution and whilst it's a lifeline, it caused you all so much stress last time I honestly don't think it's worthwhile.

Oh and I want my laptop back. Are you in this weekend?
I know I know, but it's always there isn't it! With Nic off work for last 3 weeks and another 3 to go we're back in a financial mess so the trip may still be needed ...

I'm looking for all kinds of work again, but as I say nothing much goin on for me really ...

Yes will be around this weekend.

Originally Posted by seang
Paul,
Is there a chance in the 6 yrs that you could be sent overseas with the Army? Would check this out as you dont want to end up in baggers or the 'stan.(and also the wife being left behind while u overseas)
I'm told by a friend at work who's brother has done 30 years with the army here, that they don't send you anywhere if you're over 30! I obv have to check this out 100% but if a chance then it ends there I reckon, don't fancy any of that I'm afraid!!

Originally Posted by curly
Paul, I know how fed up you are with work, so as you say it's a way of sorting out the apprenticeship in super quick time, is Nic ok about the move? As you say sometimes you've just got to go for it

Also hope the arm business gets sorted, but it sounds a bit how long with it take to recuperate form the op?
Yeah Nic is ok with it all and might even enlist herself ... The lady at the army helpdesk said with her skills being in Admin there's a good chance she could find work with em too.

As to the arms, god only knows. I'll need bone taken from the back of my ass apparently ... ... to be used for grafting on me arms. I can't help but feel it won't be a quick recovery, so again another reason I'll prob have to go back to blighty to earn monies to get us thru!

Originally Posted by Clippy
Paul! I've been looking at this thread, wondering how to reply. I just can't think what to say. Everything is always an uphill struggle for you and I just wish you could get a lucky break for once.
Isn't it just!

I'm still not in the right frame of mind at the mo to be honest, but I have to wonder is it all REALLY worth it! I REALLY don't wanna be one of the whatever percent is it that fail here and go back, but can only bang my head on the wall for so long!

Yeah I'm searching for that 'lucky break' but searching isn't finding!! ...

Originally Posted by Vicky88
However, is there another branch of the armed forces that has a lower likelihood of deployment - ie. Navy or Air Force. What are the chances that you would get deployed to Afghanistan or so other place none of us want to be.

Would the police force be an option? I know it is not a trade, however it would be secure employment.
Well as I say I'm told over 30's won't get sent anywhere, but it is only what I'm told. It's gotta come from some kind of authority or it's with a pinch of salt as we speak.

I don't think the police would take me, but couldn't do that job to be honest.

Originally Posted by Lettik
Sounds like a plan- what are the entry requirements for the army? i.e age, visa status, etc something I could be interested in myself actually
age 17 - 50 something, need to be a PR or citizen, and have grade 10 or equivilent. Fit and healty too! ...

I keep telling him this, but at the same time can't force him. Both the kids have left school without a qualification, yet both were doing VERY well in the UK and scheduled to get good grades!!

The Aussie school system is crap if you ask me, but another story. They'll do ok tho, they're not silly believe it or not.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Hope your plan works out. All I can say is the army is great fun until you have to go to war.

Trust me on this, war ain't fun.
Yeah no war for me. If a chance then as I say that's another plan that falls on it's face! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.