Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Update - For the few that are interested.

Update - For the few that are interested.

Old May 23rd 2008, 8:26 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update - For the few that are interested.

Well, where do I start.

Nic is still in a cast after breaking her ankle. She's casual so it's been 3 weeks since any money came in from her ... feeling the pinch for once! ... ... and another 3 weeks to go! ...

I'm still looking for alternative work, but not having much joy to be honest. I have a few leads, but leads that will prob be more suited to my dog!

Now a PR at last I'm gonna get my arms sorted out. I broke them both in 2003 and they've not grafted (welded together) and altho they've given me jip for years, with a PR case to be decided I've been too scared to have them sorted out here, but as I say now is the time! I'm off to have them x-rayed on Monday and know the news will be bad, they'll NEED to be grafted so it'll be time off work. Time I no doubt won't be able to afford! ... but GOTTA be done if my 'next mission' is gonna be overcomed! ...

Next mission?

Well, I'm currently goin nowhere here being unskilled so it's looking like joining the army is my / our best bet. I can do the equivalent of a 4 year apprenticeship in 2 years in the army. We'll get all kinds of benefits inc free healthcare & dentistry, and will gain citizenship after 3 months of joining, which isn't to be sniffed at!

My tie in will be 6 years, but once qualified (Electrician) I'll be on £55k which again, isn't to be sniffed at!

Locations?

Well I have to do 8 weeks on my own in NSW. They tell you NOT to move your family there as you're basically not allowed away from camp. After that, we all move to Victoria for 12 months, followed by 12 - 18 months back in NSW. Once qualified I can opt to be posted back in QLD, either Brissie or Townsville!

My daughter has made her life here on the Goldie and has already said she doesn't want to come. She's gonna obtain her real estate licence soon and is basically sorted. Got a long time boyfriend and only a matter of time before she leaves home anyway!

The boy has left school and working part time for Hungry Jacks, basically goin nowhere so he'll follow suite and do an apprenticeship in the army by the looks of things.

I've got friends and family telling me this seems sooooo extreme, but at the end of the day we're just struggling and there isn't many options for us. The TV will tell you that QLD is crying out for trades, and how they're offering incentives to get mature apprentices and all the rest, but when you actually start looking for a decent (Sparkie or Plumber) apprenticeship, well, they're just NOT out there! I've spent a good 2 weeks phoning, emailing, and all the rest all kinds of apprenticeship centre's, electrical contractors, and everyone who advertises on SEEK and basically no one is interested! ... so what can I do!!

It's annoying as Nic will become permanent once she returns to work, and is sorted! ... but me! ... still clutching at straws and only last week I was sudgesting I go back to blighty again and drive a cab for 2 - 3 months. Nic REALLY doesn't want this, and if the truth be known I don't either! ... but I'm just soooo fed up with scrimping and scraping to get by ... I didn't come here for this!!!

Sooooo, my current mission is to get my arms sorted out so I can do 15 press ups. This is part of the fitness test to get into the army, the rest I know I can pass. Currently I cannot do one as my right arm is basically 50% strong, and down to the bone damage, but hopefully once they're both sorted, and a bit of physio etc I'll be right!

Anyway, that's the current state of play.

Please wish me luck!
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice
Default Re: Update - For the few that are interested.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:38 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

Don't know why other people say this is extreme. Sounds to me like an excellent plan to get your future secured. (I trust with this kind of apprenticeship you won't get sent off overseas.)

Hope it works out with your arms and that it won't take too long.

Take care.

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; May 23rd 2008 at 8:48 am.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No one can accuse you of taking the easy way out can they?

Good luck Paul, I know that you will be just fine whatever you decide to do. Karma winging it's way to you
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:54 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Paul with everything (and there was certainly a lot going on in that post)
If that's what you want and you have your family behind you, then go for it
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Please wish me luck!
Okay then - good luck
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:02 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you. Wont be easy but if it leads you in the right direction so be it.
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

God forbid you find an easy way to do things You know what I think already but for the record I think in your circumstances it's a good plan. The pros far outweigh the cons from what I can tell. Going back again to the UK for more work is not the long term solution and whilst it's a lifeline, it caused you all so much stress last time I honestly don't think it's worthwhile.

Anyway you get the arms sorted and that's another major thing ticked off of the list.

No one said life was easy, you're just proving it at the mo. Oh and I want my laptop back. Are you in this weekend?
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:13 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

All the very best in the next part of the journey. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Cheers

Ginny
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:35 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul

Well, what can I say, except you have got to be a bit of an inspriation for people. You and Nic don't take the easy way out of anything do you?

I wish you all the luck in the world mate, you deserve it. And when you get in the Army you can apply for citizenship after 3 months! Bonus or what?

You have inspired me to do a complete change in career - if you can then why not - not the Army though, I did that 25 years ago (just about recovered now - just kidding ). I am going to apply for a job with Customs.

Have a great weekend

Shirley x
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh My!

There is no easy road for you is there?

I wish you all the best, if anyone deserves to make it here, you do

M
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:53 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,
Is there a chance in the 6 yrs that you could be sent overseas with the Army? Would check this out as you dont want to end up in baggers or the 'stan.(and also the wife being left behind while u overseas)

Last edited by seang; May 23rd 2008 at 10:59 am.
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, I know how fed up you are with work, so as you say it's a way of sorting out the apprenticeship in super quick time, is Nic ok about the move? As you say sometimes you've just got to go for it

Also hope the arm business gets sorted, but it sounds a bit how long with it take to recuperate form the op?

(btw tried to send you some karma but gotta 'spread' )
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:00 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Paul! I've been looking at this thread, wondering how to reply. I just can't think what to say. Everything is always an uphill struggle for you and I just wish you could get a lucky break for once.

I hope this is the right decision for you and I hope it makes you happy, it's not going to be easy but you know that.

I wish you all the luck in the world mate, I genuinely do.

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Well, where do I start.

Nic is still in a cast after breaking her ankle. She's casual so it's been 3 weeks since any money came in from her ... feeling the pinch for once! ... ... and another 3 weeks to go! ...

I'm still looking for alternative work, but not having much joy to be honest. I have a few leads, but leads that will prob be more suited to my dog!

Now a PR at last I'm gonna get my arms sorted out. I broke them both in 2003 and they've not grafted (welded together) and altho they've given me jip for years, with a PR case to be decided I've been too scared to have them sorted out here, but as I say now is the time! I'm off to have them x-rayed on Monday and know the news will be bad, they'll NEED to be grafted so it'll be time off work. Time I no doubt won't be able to afford! ... but GOTTA be done if my 'next mission' is gonna be overcomed! ...

Next mission?

Well, I'm currently goin nowhere here being unskilled so it's looking like joining the army is my / our best bet. I can do the equivalent of a 4 year apprenticeship in 2 years in the army. We'll get all kinds of benefits inc free healthcare & dentistry, and will gain citizenship after 3 months of joining, which isn't to be sniffed at!

My tie in will be 6 years, but once qualified (Electrician) I'll be on £55k which again, isn't to be sniffed at!

Locations?

Well I have to do 8 weeks on my own in NSW. They tell you NOT to move your family there as you're basically not allowed away from camp. After that, we all move to Victoria for 12 months, followed by 12 - 18 months back in NSW. Once qualified I can opt to be posted back in QLD, either Brissie or Townsville!

My daughter has made her life here on the Goldie and has already said she doesn't want to come. She's gonna obtain her real estate licence soon and is basically sorted. Got a long time boyfriend and only a matter of time before she leaves home anyway!

The boy has left school and working part time for Hungry Jacks, basically goin nowhere so he'll follow suite and do an apprenticeship in the army by the looks of things.

I've got friends and family telling me this seems sooooo extreme, but at the end of the day we're just struggling and there isn't many options for us. The TV will tell you that QLD is crying out for trades, and how they're offering incentives to get mature apprentices and all the rest, but when you actually start looking for a decent (Sparkie or Plumber) apprenticeship, well, they're just NOT out there! I've spent a good 2 weeks phoning, emailing, and all the rest all kinds of apprenticeship centre's, electrical contractors, and everyone who advertises on SEEK and basically no one is interested! ... so what can I do!!

It's annoying as Nic will become permanent once she returns to work, and is sorted! ... but me! ... still clutching at straws and only last week I was sudgesting I go back to blighty again and drive a cab for 2 - 3 months. Nic REALLY doesn't want this, and if the truth be known I don't either! ... but I'm just soooo fed up with scrimping and scraping to get by ... I didn't come here for this!!!

Sooooo, my current mission is to get my arms sorted out so I can do 15 press ups. This is part of the fitness test to get into the army, the rest I know I can pass. Currently I cannot do one as my right arm is basically 50% strong, and down to the bone damage, but hopefully once they're both sorted, and a bit of physio etc I'll be right!

Anyway, that's the current state of play.

Please wish me luck!
Good luck matey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.