Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

two weeks in Brisbane - nov 2010

two weeks in Brisbane - nov 2010

Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default two weeks in Brisbane - nov 2010

hello everyone

still have to pinch myself whilst lying in bed listening to the birds....

we arrived two weeks ago after a stopover in Dubai - not my fave of sities- but would recommend premier inn at the airport if you want to break your journey up for the night - fantastic views from the pool and cheap- even the food was good. made the most of the 30 kilo of luggage each and were over by 4 kilos- not charged thankfully - hand luggage was never weighed either- pheww...

the last few days at home hectic- the night before- the zip on our new suitcase broke- we were 18 kilo over on weight - we still hadnt bought and fitted a lock for our loft - things we bought on ebay hadnt arrived....
lock fitted suitcase replaced friends given all my toiletries and local postoffice a star bringing our newly purchased net book up especially by van 10 mins before we were due to leave!!! friends and neighbours came to wave us off in the taxi - cried for 20 mins.......

flight not too bad with 3 and 5 year olds- despite the fact they didnt really sleep... they loved the tvs and ignored all those little surprises I packed- what a waste of money..

short term rental fab- perfect for these first 5 weeks... walkable to river cat. its great to have furniture again after camping out for so long at home... OH started work (457 sponsored visa) and is finding it all ok so far- and even has to fly to auckland for a two day course at the beginning of December..

spent the first few days doing the essentials- bank picking up hire car going to see koalas and kangaroos shopping phones etc- forgot some of the essential like tfn and medicare- we then made the mistake of going to medicare in the city - waited for 30 mins only to be told we needed evidence we had just resided in uK - they suggested travel insurance...luckily we found that and went to medicare in Wynnnum - no queue ;-)

OH had prioiritised car so spent a couple of days on gold coast looking at cars- he still hasnt bought one!!! make sure you check the cost of rego and tax when you buy (online) as it can soon add $1500 to the price of a $19000car . I got a fab little focus - so kids and I can get about.. Oh walking and gettimg train to work - te he - though he has yet another car to look at today ...

drove round kenmore, bulimba and then went out to Manly - and fell in love- hence no other areas searched!!!!! seen 8 rentals- some dumps esp to rent - could buy them and turn them into something beautiful!!! but found one which I love - and can move in on 14th dec- (two days after we have to leave here ;-( so will have to find motel!!) shipping arrives on 2nd dec so hope that can tie in too..

Despite not being in catchment daughter has started at Manly state school - 3 prep classes going to 4 year 1 classes - she is loving it- I've not had much in the way of communication from parents yet- uniform very expensive - allow £200 plis another £100 for book list. the school is lovely - much preferred it to Gumdale the other one we visited.

have met 4/5 lovely people from expats- great to chat to people in the same boat ... thanks to those people if you are reading. also off to an expat bbq next week- v excited to have first barbie on the beach!!

my 3 year old is desperate for some similiar aged company so may need to look at private day nursery- $55 per day with no food.. 7-6 care- I dont need 7-6 care but I think that is what I'll have to pay for...there doesnt appear to be playgroup type care we have in UK for children over 2.5. Both children start swimming lessons next week and I am keen to get them into gym classes soon too. things do cost more most swim lessons $14 per lesson- so budget for those too.

still struggling with cost of food- we have cut back on meat portions etc etc can get wine for $6-7 per bottle- but beer more like $14 for 6 bottles... hopefully will have more time to shop locally next week

so am enjoying it - I love driving to Manly daily and cant help but smile at those views. I look forward to making good friends and moving into our rental. its early days but feeling positive- it is just a matter of keeping me busy- I do need to look into getting my teacher status recognised over here or at least go and help at manly school. off to Noosa for new year- cant quite get my head around christmas yet it is very understated here compared with the uk.

thanks to all those who have given support and advice and friendships during the past six months

Helen
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:46 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: two weeks in Brisbane - nov 2010

Awww ... fab update Helen! You sound like you have it all sorted! Look forward to catching up with you again soon x
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Great update glad things going ok
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

carlalesemily will become famous soon enough

brilliant, cant wait till it is our turn now x
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by heldownunder
hello everyone

still have to pinch myself whilst lying in bed listening to the birds....

we arrived two weeks ago after a stopover in Dubai - not my fave of sities- but would recommend premier inn at the airport if you want to break your journey up for the night - fantastic views from the pool and cheap- even the food was good. made the most of the 30 kilo of luggage each and were over by 4 kilos- not charged thankfully - hand luggage was never weighed either- pheww...

the last few days at home hectic- the night before- the zip on our new suitcase broke- we were 18 kilo over on weight - we still hadnt bought and fitted a lock for our loft - things we bought on ebay hadnt arrived....
lock fitted suitcase replaced friends given all my toiletries and local postoffice a star bringing our newly purchased net book up especially by van 10 mins before we were due to leave!!! friends and neighbours came to wave us off in the taxi - cried for 20 mins.......

flight not too bad with 3 and 5 year olds- despite the fact they didnt really sleep... they loved the tvs and ignored all those little surprises I packed- what a waste of money..

short term rental fab- perfect for these first 5 weeks... walkable to river cat. its great to have furniture again after camping out for so long at home... OH started work (457 sponsored visa) and is finding it all ok so far- and even has to fly to auckland for a two day course at the beginning of December..

spent the first few days doing the essentials- bank picking up hire car going to see koalas and kangaroos shopping phones etc- forgot some of the essential like tfn and medicare- we then made the mistake of going to medicare in the city - waited for 30 mins only to be told we needed evidence we had just resided in uK - they suggested travel insurance...luckily we found that and went to medicare in Wynnnum - no queue ;-)

OH had prioiritised car so spent a couple of days on gold coast looking at cars- he still hasnt bought one!!! make sure you check the cost of rego and tax when you buy (online) as it can soon add $1500 to the price of a $19000car . I got a fab little focus - so kids and I can get about.. Oh walking and gettimg train to work - te he - though he has yet another car to look at today ...

drove round kenmore, bulimba and then went out to Manly - and fell in love- hence no other areas searched!!!!! seen 8 rentals- some dumps esp to rent - could buy them and turn them into something beautiful!!! but found one which I love - and can move in on 14th dec- (two days after we have to leave here ;-( so will have to find motel!!) shipping arrives on 2nd dec so hope that can tie in too..

Despite not being in catchment daughter has started at Manly state school - 3 prep classes going to 4 year 1 classes - she is loving it- I've not had much in the way of communication from parents yet- uniform very expensive - allow £200 plis another £100 for book list. the school is lovely - much preferred it to Gumdale the other one we visited.

have met 4/5 lovely people from expats- great to chat to people in the same boat ... thanks to those people if you are reading. also off to an expat bbq next week- v excited to have first barbie on the beach!!

my 3 year old is desperate for some similiar aged company so may need to look at private day nursery- $55 per day with no food.. 7-6 care- I dont need 7-6 care but I think that is what I'll have to pay for...there doesnt appear to be playgroup type care we have in UK for children over 2.5. Both children start swimming lessons next week and I am keen to get them into gym classes soon too. things do cost more most swim lessons $14 per lesson- so budget for those too.

still struggling with cost of food- we have cut back on meat portions etc etc can get wine for $6-7 per bottle- but beer more like $14 for 6 bottles... hopefully will have more time to shop locally next week

so am enjoying it - I love driving to Manly daily and cant help but smile at those views. I look forward to making good friends and moving into our rental. its early days but feeling positive- it is just a matter of keeping me busy- I do need to look into getting my teacher status recognised over here or at least go and help at manly school. off to Noosa for new year- cant quite get my head around christmas yet it is very understated here compared with the uk.

thanks to all those who have given support and advice and friendships during the past six months

Helen

I still have those " I live in Australia moments" after 6 years. My children were 3/4 when we emigrated and they are now true Aussies and have the most wonderful childhood and they love their school. You will make some good friends and down the line they become old friends. Noosa is great, make your way to Noosaville if you get a chance and enjoy the river. We have been Brisbane based the whole time and we love it. Try your local library as they do lots of young children activities and you might find some church based playgroups as well.Have a great Christmas.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

just love the birds..smells..noises after the rain..the changing aspect of the sea in Manly...

life keeps on moving forward and upwards

have enrolled kids for gym classes...
signed son up for two days a week at nursery...
enjoyed an expat bbq at the beach..
meeting a few more people from forums

i just love how child friendly everywhere is - in woolies the other day a store worker was sorting through the slightly tired fruit- he came over and offered my son a free banana to eat around store ;-) even had lollies given to them in the diy store.

getting to know more mums on the playground and one mum has organised a list of emails and numbers so we can invite friends etc over in the holidays- nice touch...

ship is on time and due to arrive thursday- hope to have stuff two weeks today when we move in.. fingers crossed- though sure the conatiner will be searched.
havent yet sorted doctors and dentist... but getting there with things now

thanks for all the positive comments- anyone know a baby sitter so I can have a night off???!!!??? they are the things you miss...