Our story 2 1/2 years

Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our story 2 1/2 years

Originally Posted by Seasider
Um, are there some old and personal gripes coming out here, about which I'm blissfully unaware?

So am I
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

glennmatchett is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with the last post it has taken a nasty turn it is a shame, as for personal gripes I have no gripes but if I am to be called a hypocrite I have a right to stand up for myself, in reference to soulrebel but if your going to jump on board Grayling then you have to know I will stand my ground.

I am no longer going to contribute to this thread. It is going nowhere and has gone off the original topic.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

IT being 10 years behind. What a load of bollocks! It's the same in the USA. High schools upgrade computers every 10 years, it seems. Universities upgrade every 5 years, and even then, they are low end, good for web surfing computers running XP.

Unless you are in the creative industry, where you make video, audio, graphics, web design, or create games for a living, you don't need the latest screamer to run your payroll accounting. Hell, the space shuttle runs on a pocket calculator and goes to space. A 1999 pc can still surf the web.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

If all you want to do is surf the web tells me a lot.

A mate of mine looks after ALL the PCs in TAFE across NSW...I mean all of them.........that must be in the 10's of thousands. He builds servers remotely that are located hundres of miles away so that they will load certain software on to all the PCs in a clasroom depending on what lesson is in class that day.........imagine that when classes change, software changes. He tells me point blank the machines can't cope.

You don't need the latest scraemer to run payroll accounting eh ?..........what if you want payroll linked to costing linked to HR and run 7 different payrolls each month ?...weekly, fortnightly, monthly, cash, 4 weekly, etc etc........give me a break.

What space shuttle are you on about ?. I have been around Cape Canaveral AND the astronauts training base and if you are right how come NASA spend so much money on a pocket calculator ? The tax payer should be enlightened to your better knowledge me thinks?

Originally Posted by SpookyET
IT being 10 years behind. What a load of bollocks! It's the same in the USA. High schools upgrade computers every 10 years, it seems. Universities upgrade every 5 years, and even then, they are low end, good for web surfing computers running XP.

Unless you are in the creative industry, where you make video, audio, graphics, web design, or create games for a living, you don't need the latest screamer to run your payroll accounting. Hell, the space shuttle runs on a pocket calculator and goes to space. A 1999 pc can still surf the web.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Olibeneli

A mate of mine looks after ALL the PCs in TAFE across NSW...I mean all of them.........that must be in the 10's of thousands. He builds servers remotely that are located hundres of miles away so that they will load certain software on to all the PCs in a clasroom depending on what lesson is in class that day.........imagine that when classes change, software changes. He tells me point blank the machines can't cope.

You don't need the latest scraemer to run payroll accounting eh ?..........what if you want payroll linked to costing linked to HR and run 7 different payrolls each month ?...weekly, fortnightly, monthly, cash, 4 weekly, etc etc........give me a break.

What space shuttle are you on about ?. I have been around Cape Canaveral AND the astronauts training base and if you are right how come NASA spend so much money on a pocket calculator ? The tax payer should be enlightened to your better knowledge me thinks?
You still don't need a gaming rig to run that stuff. A circa 2001 computer should be capable. How did you do it back in 2001? I bet they had the same protocol.

Yes, the space shuttle main computers are from the 70s and 80s. Google, if you don't believe me, or if you are curious. Do you think that they upgrade military or civilian hardware every time Intel release a new chip? Even if they had a need, they can't because those electronics were specifically designed to withstand radiation and extreme temperatures in space. Your $250 Intel cpu costs them $50,000. It's very old and expensive equipment. My sterility device isn't capable to support a few videos before it shuts down due to heat. I believe that the NASA budget is 500 million. A space launch costs $5 million. The space station costs $100 million. They do a lot of research and give money to universities for research. They don't spend money to upgrade the computers every 3 years. They have servers that run Fedora 4. They have servers that run really old unix.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glennmatchett
Grayling - what I find funny is that the likes of you and my friend soulrebel hide behind little id names rather than being yourselves. It is easy being a smart arse if your hiding behind something else.

If your going to be popping up URL when no one has asked, you might as well be honest and let everyone know who you are. Not so clever there now are you.
Actually, BE recommends that people use anonymous usernames.

There are many reasons for not putting one's personal details on a worldwide forum - protection of the privacy of one's family being just one.
In addition, being a forum widely browsed by immigration services of various countries, including Australia and the USA, it can be detrimental to your case to be posting under your real name. Assumptions about medicalk issues is one which often comes up - someone posts that they believe they have a very serious condition, it turns out to be a short-lived virus - by then a DIAC case officer has read it and noted it on the file. Don't scoff, it has happened. More than once agents have contacted me and asked me to gently suggest that someone removes their post, or changes their username, in the interests of their dealings with the immigration service.

================================

Now could you all cut out the squabbling please.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by glennmatchett
Oh how brave we are when we don’t reveal who we really are. So come on then lets hear all about the positive reason you moved to Australia. I am sure that everyone wants to know the positive reason. But then again in order for it to be a positive you really had to have a negative…….

we don’t have to be patronising lets keep this to the subject…. Of course there are foreigners, I have not said that. I will say again I said the guy that started this thread that he ought to come over to the UK because it has changed and I am sure his little village that he used to live in has changed, be it for the good or the bad that is for him to decide, I just said that it will have changed.

The little local pubs are closing that is what I said.
Why does it bother you so much that someone prefers to live in the UK?

You need to get a grip and get over it ,..jeez!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about SAP is that is it quite, or was, fairly niche, and yes, NSW country probably would not want an all singing - all dancing system. And, I'd possibly want to keep current with something like that. People with certain skillsets or even, political motivations do seem to want to move on over here. So I don't knock Obiwan something or other.

IT varies in other areas - I personally would not say that Australia is 10 years behind in my field.

I like working in IT in Australia : doesn't pay a starship salary but then I don't want starship stresses. I find the major difference is that here managers seem to want you to have a work-life balance and that comes first. In that respect, I enjoy it here.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 9th 2008 at 12:08 pm. Reason: why not...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:58 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli

Hey Kev,
was wondering where you've been hiding!!
Sorry things haven't worked out, but know exactly how you feel. We've been home a year now and I can honestly say, hand on heart, we have done the right thing, no regrets.
So when are you coming back, any dates yet? If you need anything give us a shout.
Love to S and the boys,
Deb xxx
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joh117
Good luck on your move back. We gave Melbourne a go for nearly 3 yrs and have been back in the UK just over 2 years. We are now heading back to Brisbane to see if things work out for us there.

The UK is very expensive and we are earning very good wages but hubby can earn way more in his field in Oz and I dont need to work and can stay home with my kids at least till they start school. We have not got regrets for any of the moves we have done. It is character building if nothing else.

Hope the UK is everything you want and need it to be.

Jo
Hi there

I would be very interested to see how Brisbane works out for you. We are in Melbourne and I am not very happy here (OH loves it but that is because he has a fantastic job - better than the one he had in the UK). I like Melbourne as a city and have really enjoyed exploring Victoria, but I find the people here not very friendly or welcoming at all. I have been wondering if a move to a different part of the country is perhaps a better option than the very radical move of going back to the UK.

Good luck with it all.

Sarah
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - all the very best on your move back to UK, I am sure it will be all that you hope it will be. I could but wish that my DH, acknowledging my unhappiness here, would be as magnanimous and take me home (my mum says that he told her on our wedding day that if I was unhappy he would bring me home - shame there dont seem to have been any independent witnesses because it seems to have conveniently slipped his mind, but 35 years will do that to you)

I think you have given it a good go and have excellent reasons for why it hasnt worked for you - definitely a good update and quite the right place to post it!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:26 am
Just Joined

kriskrock will become famous soon enough

Good luck !
your comments are so true, we have been here 1 year and 6 days - yes i am counting - i came here having spent 8 years living in the USA (New York and Washington DC). I have experienced first hand the poor quality that exists within the business community. I want to leave - my wife who does not work, wants to give it another year ! She says we need to stick it out !!! for the kids sake - so the grind continues - worst part is i cant change jobs as my Visa is tied to my employer !!

What even happened to Paradise!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Olibeneli
I am actually looking forward to...it pissing down outside
ha ha i love it when people say that.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again everyone.

I got back to the UK via Virgin dead on time on Sat 16th...started work Monday 18th having secured a new role from Australia.

The day I landed was pretty good weather, but since then it's grey and raining in showers.....am I bothered ?.....NO.

It's funny but I feel that I haven't been away that long even though I was in Oz for 2 1/2 years. The sight of footpaths and people walking around is really nice as is the variety of shops in little towns and villages...very pleasant.

Now.....my work which was so important to me. I now work at a consulting automotive engineering firm as head of finance systems (which I have been recruited to replace). The firm is so cutting edge it's untrue. My employer makes, among other things, the Bugatti Veyron gearbox and I just saw it today. It is an immense piece of british engineering and makes anyone feel proud. They also do high performance transmissions for Porsche, F1 teams and Le Mans teams. Mention a V8 supercar here and they laugh a bit. Hardly high tech apparently.

Anyway........I had a conversation today with some finance people and we talked about embedded derivatives. I simply can't see any business in the area I lived in in Australia having a clue what that would be about.

It's certainly refreshing to be (a) among some of the worlds best engineers in automotive design and (b) among a number of accountants that are also pushing changes and improvements through using better and better technology and (c) among some very experienced and savvy IT people. Our intranet is marvellous and the use of IT far better than anything I came across or discussed in Aus.

Accountants for those that don't know, do a lot more than just add numbers up and post a debit and credit and make a P&L account.......which is exactly the impression I got from those I dealt with in the Illawarra. Mention a MOLAP database or order to cash process or mobile sales and I got zero understanding what those topics mean because the business were too small or too 'behind' to understand. (I was interviewed at Qantas....so not in Illawarra..... who did know what OLAP was about but did not totally understand some of what I asked them about their set up.........methinks they are struggling big time)

Anyway....so far so good but as yet it's early days. One thing I just found out is the test car I have been given changed my perception of Skodas. I could have had a BMW but was told to try the Skoda. It's a 1.9 litre turbo diesel and absolutely flies. I drove from Brighton to Birmingham in roughly 2 hours, used hardly any fuel (I have yet to measure consumption) and blitzed past every car that I came across including Audi Q7 who wanted a race, a Porsche Boxster, Porsche Carrera, VW GTI and more besides.

Now Skoda is owned by VW the build quality is very good but my word the performance is amazing.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I go through weeks of rain but so far no bad news.

Enjoy the sun...........PS How many medals are team GB ahead of Australia ? Please rub it in for me!

Last edited by Olibeneli; Aug 22nd 2008 at 2:25 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your words. My other half was unhappy...took me a while to come round but we had to come back. You get one shot at life......don't make it an unhappy one.

Originally Posted by ll
To the OP - all the very best on your move back to UK, I am sure it will be all that you hope it will be. I could but wish that my DH, acknowledging my unhappiness here, would be as magnanimous and take me home (my mum says that he told her on our wedding day that if I was unhappy he would bring me home - shame there dont seem to have been any independent witnesses because it seems to have conveniently slipped his mind, but 35 years will do that to you)

I think you have given it a good go and have excellent reasons for why it hasnt worked for you - definitely a good update and quite the right place to post it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.