Our story 2 1/2 years

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our story 2 1/2 years

I started contributing to this forum many years ago. Went through the whole visa application thing, medicals, house selling, etc. Too stressful for words.

We moved to the Shellharbour area just south of Wollongong and after 2 1/2 years of giving it a go we are going back to the UK. My brother in law survived about 6 months in Townsville and other friends survived about 1 year in Bunbury in WA. We at least gave it a good go.

Our honest opinion is we wish we had never come despite having had some fantastic times. For us (we are both high skilled professionals) Aus is way behind the UK/USA/Europe in our lines of work. I have a well paid job (well over $100k) but it is too boring and not demanding nor am I learning a thing. I had 23 interviews for a new job across 15 different companies (so got 8 second interviews) and the treatment I endured was a joke....from being verbally offered a job then I hear nothing to all manner of shoddy treatment.

I have contacted the UK for roles in my field and been offered a great role immediately........all by way of video conference interview. I'll be earning way more in the UK than when I left 2 1/2 years ago....

Those people that post about red tape and needing degrees to stack shelves are dead right! My only advice to those embarking on the journey is to really really think long and hard, think about what you do and what you enjoy at work and if it is at all done in Aus in a way that will make you happy.

Research research and research again is my advice. Our kids have had a great time and they were one of the main reasons for coming here, but without a happy home life (in which work will play a major part on how happy you are) we can't endure things as it will affect the children. In a few short years they will be grown and gone and we will be wondering what the hell happened. Yes the beaches are great and it does get nice and sunny, but we have to spend at least 40 hours a week in work in which we are going backwards and no amount of sandy beach nor sunshine is feeding my brain anything. I am actually looking forward to a beer in a nice English pub with a log fire going and it pissing down outside.

To those on the journey...you will never know unless you give it a go but really do your homework.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Jul 31st 2008 at 12:42 am.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

PepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to all
Default Re: Our story 2 1/2 years

Very good advice, best of luck with your return.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:19 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this was better in the MBTUK forum where you might find like minded empathy. Whilst it is regrettable that Australia is not for you, for the greater percentage of migrants it is, myself included.

Good luck with your move!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:49 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Maybe this was better in the MBTUK forum where you might find like minded empathy. Whilst it is regrettable that Australia is not for you, for the greater percentage of migrants it is, myself included.

The update forum is the ideal place for an update!

Just because the poster has decided that Australia isn't for him doesn't bar them from posting on the update forum.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion

I don't think they want empathy, it's just an update of where they are now.

Good luck guys, you know whats right.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:29 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Is this just because they are shutting down starbucks at stockland

Good luck with the move back, 2.5 years is a fair amount of time to "give it a go". I hope everything back in the UK is what you want.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:55 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Is this just because they are shutting down starbucks at stockland

Good luck with the move back, 2.5 years is a fair amount of time to "give it a go". I hope everything back in the UK is what you want.
Each to their own, good luck
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

"I'll be earning way more in the UK than when I left 2 1/2 years ago...."

And just remember you will be spending a HUGE amount more too........
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

glennmatchett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Olibeneli,

I have been reading some of the stories about how people are getting on, as we have spoken about the move and now are in the process of giving it ago.

Like you say it is all about home work, I am in the It industry and have been told it is a bit behind but well I hope that with this it might give me an advantage.

I normally only post questions on this forum as I am at the question stage, questioning everything.

But I just wanted to say that, things back in the UK have changed, the old local English pub is now not so local, and you are most likely to be served your Ale by not the friendly local landlord or landlady but from some Polish or other eastern European.

Things have changed quite a bit I feel, such as schools my kids go to a school and we have five children in the year do not speak English, only Polish or Russian, I am guessing your kids are older but I do think you will see quite a few changes now in the UK as well.

Good luck withy our move and new job non the less
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by glennmatchett
Hi Olibeneli,

I have been reading some of the stories about how people are getting on, as we have spoken about the move and now are in the process of giving it ago.

Like you say it is all about home work, I am in the It industry and have been told it is a bit behind but well I hope that with this it might give me an advantage.

I normally only post questions on this forum as I am at the question stage, questioning everything.

But I just wanted to say that, things back in the UK have changed, the old local English pub is now not so local, and you are most likely to be served your Ale by not the friendly local landlord or landlady but from some Polish or other eastern European.

Things have changed quite a bit I feel, such as schools my kids go to a school and we have five children in the year do not speak English, only Polish or Russian, I am guessing your kids are older but I do think you will see quite a few changes now in the UK as well.

Good luck withy our move and new job non the less
Oh yes pubs, 40% of all local pubs have been estimated to have closed within the last 4 years in the uk, another 30% have been predicted to close by the end of 2009. Also 77% of all clubs have closed down to with the workingmans clubs virtualy extinct. We now have hundreds of BARS that are all within 1 minute of each other that all look the same, and all staff are temps. Oh and dont forget the huge gangs of drunk people outside pubs on the streets (smoking lol) verbally abusing passers by! Its quite depressing! I need a drink!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mydearboy1
Oh yes pubs, 40% of all local pubs have been estimated to have closed within the last 4 years in the uk, another 30% have been predicted to close by the end of 2009. Also 77% of all clubs have closed down to with the workingmans clubs virtualy extinct. We now have hundreds of BARS that are all within 1 minute of each other that all look the same, and all staff are temps. Oh and dont forget the huge gangs of drunk people outside pubs on the streets (smoking lol) verbally abusing passers by! Its quite depressing! I need a drink!
And a smoke (LOL)....... our little local has closed down because of the smoking ban and like they say why would you go into a pub to have a drink when you can buy four cans of larger Tesco for pretty much the price of a beer in a pub.

it has changed a lot I dont want to complain, but the British Government seems to have an open door policy for every tom dick and harry to enter this country, and this is leading to problems. I am not saying if I move to Aus I wont have these problems, but I see more opportunites in Aus than in the UK
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:40 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck on your move back. We gave Melbourne a go for nearly 3 yrs and have been back in the UK just over 2 years. We are now heading back to Brisbane to see if things work out for us there.

The UK is very expensive and we are earning very good wages but hubby can earn way more in his field in Oz and I dont need to work and can stay home with my kids at least till they start school. We have not got regrets for any of the moves we have done. It is character building if nothing else.

Hope the UK is everything you want and need it to be.

Jo
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joh117
Good luck on your move back. We gave Melbourne a go for nearly 3 yrs and have been back in the UK just over 2 years. We are now heading back to Brisbane to see if things work out for us there.

The UK is very expensive and we are earning very good wages but hubby can earn way more in his field in Oz and I dont need to work and can stay home with my kids at least till they start school. We have not got regrets for any of the moves we have done. It is character building if nothing else.

Hope the UK is everything you want and need it to be.

Jo
I dont wish to high jack Olibeneli thread here but I was just wondering how come you came back to the UK Jo. I am just interesed to know as we are thinking of Melbourne.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I started contributing to this forum many years ago. Went through the whole visa application thing, medicals, house selling, etc. Too stressful for words.

We moved to the Shellharbour area just south of Wollongong and after 2 1/2 years of giving it a go we are going back to the UK. My brother in law survived about 6 months in Townsville and other friends survived about 1 year in Bunbury in WA. We at least gave it a good go.

Our honest opinion is we wish we had never come despite having had some fantastic times. For us (we are both high skilled professionals) Aus is way behind the UK/USA/Europe in our lines of work. I have a well paid job (well over $100k) but it is too boring and not demanding nor am I learning a thing. I had 23 interviews for a new job across 15 different companies (so got 8 second interviews) and the treatment I endured was a joke....from being verbally offered a job then I hear nothing to all manner of shoddy treatment.

I have contacted the UK for roles in my field and been offered a great role immediately........all by way of video conference interview. I'll be earning way more in the UK than when I left 2 1/2 years ago....

Those people that post about red tape and needing degrees to stack shelves are dead right! My only advice to those embarking on the journey is to really really think long and hard, think about what you do and what you enjoy at work and if it is at all done in Aus in a way that will make you happy.

Research research and research again is my advice. Our kids have had a great time and they were one of the main reasons for coming here, but without a happy home life (in which work will play a major part on how happy you are) we can't endure things as it will affect the children. In a few short years they will be grown and gone and we will be wondering what the hell happened. Yes the beaches are great and it does get nice and sunny, but we have to spend at least 40 hours a week in work in which we are going backwards and no amount of sandy beach nor sunshine is feeding my brain anything. I am actually looking forward to a beer in a nice English pub with a log fire going and it pissing down outside.

To those on the journey...you will never know unless you give it a go but really do your homework.

Or to put in less words-you're too good for Australia.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:52 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Always a negative in there somewhere!

Carol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.