Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

One Year today! Melbourne

One Year today! Melbourne

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Year today! Melbourne

So here we are, one year ago today I was stepping foot off the aeroplane into Australia for the very first time. We had never visited before, had no friends or family here, just a job and a 457 visa. Me, OH, and our two little girls 2.5 years and a 12 week old.

Its been an interesting Year, some days it feels like I arrived yesterday and other days I feel as though I have been here a life time.

Both me and OH have struggled through winter with what I suppose is homesickness, and we have discussed moving back on occasion.

On the up side though, there are many things about this place that we love, we are just starting to feel more settled. OH doing well at work and has had a promotion. Kids settled well into kindy and general day to day life. I am feeling very relaxed and happy (most days).
Our social life has been slow in taking off, mainly because we arrived with a 12 week old baby.... Its hard to get out when you dont have a babysitter. We have now found a great babysitter and are starting to develop a social life which is good.
OH started to learn to play golf, I have joined a gym (and lost 3.5 stones so far... Go me)!!!!! So we are getting out there and getting involved.

Overall we are doing well here. The jury is still out as to find out if this is our forever place, but we feel that its way too early to call. After 12 months we have managed to just get settled, and maybe over the next 12 -24 months we can start to see how we feel and what we want for the future.

But right now, as I type, I feel settled and content and ready for the next chapter.

Now Im just popping to Safeways to get some champagne... Im sure this anniversary is one worth celebrating with a bit of fizz!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:15 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year today! Melbourne

Fab Post Gina, I see you live in Mount Elisa, its totally one of the BEST places in the world, you will find it hard to settle anywhere else after living there, its so beautiful and spoils you

Enjoy your champers - cheers
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Smile Re: One Year today! Melbourne

Hi Gina

Great post, glad you are enjoying your new life.

Paula
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Gina & well done on your weight loss, I know how hard that can be!
We feel similarly after a year, settled but unsure of the future.
Best of luck for your second year
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult when it takes time to settle. Because you've not had to find your way before, unless you migrated to different places before, you think there's something wrong when you don't feel like home and have stacks of mates immediately.

Good luck with the next year or so. If you stay you stay and if you decide to go somewhere else, whether back to the UK or somewhere else, you'll have some great experiences and memories to take with you. Enjoy today and don't think too much about tomorrow.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

alkeyshell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

great to read your blog it gives us great encouragement

we have been in mornington for two months love the area and are just starting to fine our way around. We have 3 girls 15, 12, and 9 who have started school the youngest in st thomas moore in mt eliza and the other two in padua. We would love to get to know people in the area as this is what we are finding the hardest any ideas!!!!!!!!

fran and byron
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post Gina. We're heading your way (hopefully) next year with our 5 yr old son and 9 year old daughter - may well meet up when we get there?

Oh, and congrats on the weight loss - that's the amount I need to lose (after Xmas!).
Old Dec 26th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

OH started to learn to play golf,

If he wants to join a really social club, get down to Mornington GC and he will really be made welcome by everybody.

John