One year in Perth

Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Oliveoil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One year in Perth

Well it has gone so fast, blink and 12 months have passed

We had a good life in the UK but my husband was always hankering to come to Australia as his brother is here. A few years ago we were selling our house in the uk, the house we after was sold so we were a bit fed up. Cue fateful call from his brother - he was water skiing on the swan river (we were staying in watching a dvd as it was raining )

So began the conversation as to why not try it? our girls were 4 and 2 at this stage and we had all the points for PR. We have travelled extensively and I seem to have permanently itchy feet so we went for it

Fast forward 18 months of form filling and angst, house selling, horrible goodbyes and stress, seems a million years ago now

We stayed with husband's brother at first which was fab, he works on the mines so was only here 1 week in 3 - we had a swish house and car to swan about in! After all the hassle/stress/emotional rollercoaster of moving we decided to not look for work at all until the January so we could settle as a family and chill out

I would recommend this highly - I realise that this will depend on budget etc but we could feel the stress ooze out

found a rental by the beach, sorted schools (eldest settled even though she is v shy), husband got a job etc etc. It is just like normal life with the usual pain in the arse things you have to do - school run, shopping, bickering kids, housework etc so do not expect that all of a sudden you will have a COMPLETELY different life as you will not. You will be surprised at the number that think they can work 10-2 then go on the beach via their boat

It is EXPENSIVE here too, but weirdly, we are only on one wage here and seem to have more money no idea why, maybe because if you are skint it costs $0 to go to the beach

I miss shopping, seasons (Autumn was my fave, I would stand in the park and go Oh look at the trees), The Times and also my lunch hour as I used to work and now I don't get a minute. This may change when youngest starts school next year.

Am I glad we came? Yes

Will we be here forwever? Hmm, not sure, happy to stay for a good few years though to give it a good go, and if not the UK is not a bad place to go back to (don't belive the hype )

xx
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:19 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: One year in Perth

Nice update! Good to hear that it's all going well.

But...

Originally Posted by Oliveoil
I miss shopping, seasons (Autumn was my fave, I would stand in the park and go Oh look at the trees),
Perth doesn't have seasons now? When did that change?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Default Re: One year in Perth

HI

Glad you are enjoying your new life.

Paula
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[[/QUOTE]

Good progress, well done to date.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nice update! Good to hear that it's all going well.

But...

Perth doesn't have seasons now? When did that change?
well I have found that Perth is either boiling hot and windy. Or cold and windy

I seemed to notice the seasons more in the UK - spring buds, leaves falling etc whereas here I don't. However I have only been here a year so maybe as the dust settles I may find little gems.

One thing I forgot to add is the rent v buying costs. We pay $340 a week for a 4x2, the same house to buy would cost us around $2500 for a mortgage, quite a jump so I think we will continue renting for a while.

I do love the sunny weather, we lived in the NW of England and it was gloomy - I find the sun lifts my mood here (and dries the washing in about 20 mins!)

xx
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You sound pretty much like us. We didnt have a lot of choice in leaving England due to my work. We like Oz, but not sure if we will stay forever. Tempted by Canada.
The things you miss are about the same as us - though the wife missus the shopping rather than me!
Where in Perth are you?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oliveoil
well I have found that Perth is either boiling hot and windy. Or cold and windy

I seemed to notice the seasons more in the UK - spring buds, leaves falling etc whereas here I don't. However I have only been here a year so maybe as the dust settles I may find little gems.

One thing I forgot to add is the rent v buying costs. We pay $340 a week for a 4x2, the same house to buy would cost us around $2500 for a mortgage, quite a jump so I think we will continue renting for a while.

I do love the sunny weather, we lived in the NW of England and it was gloomy - I find the sun lifts my mood here (and dries the washing in about 20 mins!)

xx

congratulations on your first year and two good update posts - well balanced and i agree with what you say. it seems to have been wet and windy forever this year in perth - when is it going to be summer???!!

I love it that my washing is dry in minutes although it sure does fade the clothes - no leaving it out all day when its sunny!! good luck with your life in perth.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by merleoberon
congratulations on your first year and two good update posts - well balanced and i agree with what you say. it seems to have been wet and windy forever this year in perth - when is it going to be summer???!!

I love it that my washing is dry in minutes although it sure does fade the clothes - no leaving it out all day when its sunny!! good luck with your life in perth.
Perth, second windiest city in the world. Ain't that the truth.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
Banned

p0mmie has a spectacular aura aboutp0mmie has a spectacular aura aboutp0mmie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Perth, second windiest city in the world. Ain't that the truth.
You know how many pairs of Allan Wickers i have lost here?My poor hubby moans about it being 100 degrees and i have them in the tumble drier?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by p0mmie
You know how many pairs of Allan Wickers i have lost here?My poor hubby moans about it being 100 degrees and i have them in the tumble drier?

I never hung my washing out in Perth, it either blew away in neighbours (full of dog shit) garden, or came in rock solid.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:43 pm
Banned

p0mmie has a spectacular aura aboutp0mmie has a spectacular aura aboutp0mmie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I never hung my washing out in Perth, it either blew away in neighbours (full of dog shit) garden, or came in rock solid.
thats strange ,i thought those holes in the allan wickers were to let the wind pass through?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

We are in Quinns, a tad too far out for me I think, I feel like my world has closed in and do miss my city vibe - however, we are 2 mins from the beach which more than makes up for the lack of cafes/bars/delis for the moment. No point moving across the world to replicate your old life in my opinion.

when we buy I think we will want something smaller, closer to the city. But then it gets v expensive so we will have to see. Quite happy where we are, good (primary) school and have made lots of friends

re washing : you are obviously using the wrong pegs Mine does get wrapped around a bit but the trick is to peg everything close together so it doesn't get chance to tangle up. And I leave it to dry overnight in the height of summer (and give the spiders something to play on) then it doesn't go like cardboard - I did used to have a life and I am discussing washing - this is not the fault of Perth, more that I do not work anymore and I find this a strange scenario
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

katieandpaul74 will become famous soon enough

Hello,

It's so nice to read a positive account of a first year, yes it can't be all plain sailing, but it's an adventure too.

My Family and I (Husband and two boys) have our Visa's and need to be in Oz by June 2010.... our main problem is selling the house! Have been on the market for a while and haven't had much interest as yet! If all fails we will head to Perth for a Holiday to validate the Visa and then wait!

I have a job already in Fremantle Hospital, and were are heading for the Rockingham/ Secret Harbour area, we have friends there.

It's so encouraging to read people's experiences, it makes you realise soooooo many people are, or have gone through the same emotions and worries as you, and with forums like this, we are not alone.

Thankyou. katie & Paul
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:38 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

Hello from Secret Harbour.