My 5 year update in Aus

Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:34 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 5 year update in Aus

Hey thanks for all the messages, haven't been on for a while as had a busy week. It's so surprising since I have 'aired' my feelings about living in Perth, it would seem that a lot of people feel the same way and are also wanting to or going to leave. a lot of people including myself are just to scared to say it for fear of the people who love Perth's reactions (they don't take it so well).
I went out with my uni friends on Tuesday night and all the pubs were closed at 9.45pm and the one pub which we found open was dead, and there were blokes just fighting and punching the cr*p out of each other so it threw everyone out and closed. We were scared, it was awful. I have never experienced violence like that on nights out in uk.

I have made a decision that I am gong to finish my degree here (cos I really dont want to have to start over again for the 2nd time) and this should take me about 3 years from now (which will also give my hubbys job more time) and then we are leaving this DULL, DULL place.

I am not sure where to yet, either back to Melly, UK or Europe...... I quite fancy Italy at the moment or Ireland, but will have to check out for work for my hubby, at least I will be a registered nurse by then and able to work anywhere.

ATM, I am longing for seasons and a house with period features, open fires, good shops and hussle and bussle of cafes and little grungy places which I miss so much living here. I want my kids to have memories like I have eg. real christmas's, snow, autumn leaves, bonfire night etc.... People are still saying that I will hate the weather if I leave Perth but having the same weather day in day out kinda gets boring after a while, and now I appreciate seasons more.

I am booking a holiday back to UK in July and will see how I feel being back there, at least it will break up my 3 year stint and give me a chance to be me again, see my friends and go out and actually be able to chat to people (no-one talks to you in pubs in Perth).

Its great to hear all your opinions on this subject and I really appreciate you all sharing. Thanks everyone

VStormy, I feel better now knowing I am not going to be stuck here for ever, its a relief, hope u make a plan soon. My hubby is also in mining industry, he is a consultant geologist.

Dolly dd and PP I will PM u in next few days xxxx
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Hey Laura,

I loved your blog and all the pics.

If you want to meet up sometime let me know, I live in Clarkson, not far from Heathridge. And BTW I'd like to learn to surf, so maybe you could teach me!??
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:30 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vicky,

thanks for yr message, I am feeling much 'better' now, went out last night with some friends (from Wales) and they only plan to stay here for 5 years and then move to Spain, they have also bought a house too. I loved their 'free' attitude. It made me realise that life is a journey and I am here now, doing my nursing and need to just do that, and just cos my life didnt go to plan I think it just threw me out of what and made me panic about the future. I am looking forward to a trip back to UK in July (finances permitting) and just enjoying here for now. Think I was taking things too serious...... but suppose homesickness is always going to be part migration.

Anyway, think it would be great to meet up, and as for surfing, I am looking forward to getting back into the water again now it is starting to warm up. I am sure we can arrange something, although I wouldnt be the best teacher, but sure my hubby can help there lol

So I see from yr old post u r a nurse, r u at JHC? I have a partnership with JHC, but after my prac there I felt I didn't want to be a nurse anymore, its so different o UK - do u think?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi Vicky,

thanks for yr message, I am feeling much 'better' now, went out last night with some friends (from Wales) and they only plan to stay here for 5 years and then move to Spain, they have also bought a house too. I loved their 'free' attitude. It made me realise that life is a journey and I am here now, doing my nursing and need to just do that, and just cos my life didnt go to plan I think it just threw me out of what and made me panic about the future. I am looking forward to a trip back to UK in July (finances permitting) and just enjoying here for now. Think I was taking things too serious...... but suppose homesickness is always going to be part migration.

Anyway, think it would be great to meet up, and as for surfing, I am looking forward to getting back into the water again now it is starting to warm up. I am sure we can arrange something, although I wouldnt be the best teacher, but sure my hubby can help there lol

So I see from yr old post u r a nurse, r u at JHC? I have a partnership with JHC, but after my prac there I felt I didn't want to be a nurse anymore, its so different o UK - do u think?

Hi Laura,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, I am a nurse, but I work at KEMH. Personally I found nursing here a breath of fresh air after the NHS. It is different, but better in my opinion.
Having said that, after 6 years in nursing, I'd like to retrain in something else or become self-employed. Nursing is great, but I have realised that I don't want to do it for the rest of my life.

Are you still doing your nursing training then?

Would be great to meet up, if you're planning a get together or anything like that, let me know. PM me if you want to arrange something.