Melbourne - 6 months in

Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:04 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 66
gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of
Default Melbourne - 6 months in

(my 2 1/2 month update)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553296

Since then I managed to get another job straight after my last one finished, so we've not have to worry financially. After the first few months I would say we have settled in well, OH is still looking for work though, so hopefully something will turn up.

Getting into a routine quickly and becoming familiar with our surroundings has helped us settle, overall things have gone quite smoothly.

I've hardly had any homesickness, i do miss the pub scene and people, but I guess as we know we had planned to come for 2 years then head back - homesickness hasnt been a problem.

I'm looking forward to next year we have holidays in Tasmania and Barrier Reef, then begin our house build next year so looking forward to that. And i just bought tickets to see the killers next year too - cant wait for that.

My thoughts after 6 months:

- Freeway driving is a pain - so many lane hoggers
- Melbourne does really get cold(more than i originally thought)
- I think I would prefer to raise a family here than the UK
- Houses here are awesome
- I get paid more than i thought i would
- I love the food joints here
- I miss British office humour

Overall I would say life here is good, i feel more relaxed, the people I have met have generally been pleasant.

I'll give another update after my first year.

Good luck everyone

- will update after my first year.
gsidhu is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:11 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

Originally Posted by gsidhu View Post
(my 2 1/2 month update)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553296

Since then I managed to get another job straight after my last one finished, so we've not have to worry financially. After the first few months I would say we have settled in well, OH is still looking for work though, so hopefully something will turn up.

Getting into a routine quickly and becoming familiar with our surroundings has helped us settle, overall things have gone quite smoothly.

I've hardly had any homesickness, i do miss the pub scene and people, but I guess as we know we had planned to come for 2 years then head back - homesickness hasnt been a problem.

I'm looking forward to next year we have holidays in Tasmania and Barrier Reef, then begin our house build next year so looking forward to that. And i just bought tickets to see the killers next year too - cant wait for that.

My thoughts after 6 months:

- Freeway driving is a pain - so many lane hoggers
- Melbourne does really get cold(more than i originally thought)
- I think I would prefer to raise a family here than the UK
- Houses here are awesome
- I get paid more than i thought i would
- I love the food joints here
- I miss British office humour

Overall I would say life here is good, i feel more relaxed, the people I have met have generally been pleasant.

I'll give another update after my first year.

Good luck everyone

- will update after my first year.

Good - the great barrier reef, sounds wonderful, lucky you!!
marvinc is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:04 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Monterey Keys, Queensland
Posts: 96
Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Default Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

Hi

What a great post


Paula
Paula Cox is offline  
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:21 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Woodlands, Singapore
Posts: 214
sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

Originally Posted by gsidhu View Post

I'll give another update after my first year.

Good luck everyone

- will update after my first year.
Great post ... i'm heading down Melbourne soon as DIAC grant me the VISA.

My plan is 1st secure a job, rent/buy a house then only bring over the family.

Merry Christmas & Have a Great Peaceful Happy 2009 New Year.
sram466 is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:14 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

gsidhu;

sounds like your well settled, good luck to you & your family, we have been her for 11 years now in Melbourne & love the place as you say the cuisine is just fantastic as i presume the same for most state's across Australia.

We love the whole setup in Melbourne & as i say love it all.

regards
The_Pom_From_Aus is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:18 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Woodlands, Singapore
Posts: 214
sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus View Post
gsidhu;

sounds like your well settled, good luck to you & your family, we have been her for 11 years now in Melbourne & love the place as you say the cuisine is just fantastic as i presume the same for most state's across Australia.

We love the whole setup in Melbourne & as i say love it all.

regards
hello arthur,

happy new year !

may i know which part of melbourne you been living in these 11 years? I'm thinking of areas in Hampton Prk, Narre Warren Sth or even Boxhill for my young family and aged parent. Is the property prices going down in melbourne suburb ?
sram466 is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:50 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

sram466;


A happy new to you also,
We live in Rowville near to Knox City shopping center 6 Km away.
Hampton Park is Ok also Narrie warren OK Box Hill has train station, shopping center & schools the 3 things people require in australia.
However due to having the mentioned above it makes housing expensive especially box hill a well desired area for most asians (Vietnamese, Chinese) house prices are well above average.

Box hill secondary (State school is shit) however they also have a program for academic students so you may want to look at the schools for the kids you cannot just get the kids into any school especially state schools unless you go private then they will take the kids & your money.

i work for the dept of education & all state schools have a zone meaning a radius where the schools fall into. so what area you intend to live in 1st get in contact with the school in your area then visit the place when your here they all do school tours, for goodness sake dont just expect it all to fall in place thats where most people fall down.

if i can help more just ask.
The_Pom_From_Aus is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:37 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 66
gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of
Default Re: Melbourne - 6 months in

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus View Post
sram466;


A happy new to you also,
We live in Rowville near to Knox City shopping center 6 Km away.
Hampton Park is Ok also Narrie warren OK Box Hill has train station, shopping center & schools the 3 things people require in australia.
However due to having the mentioned above it makes housing expensive especially box hill a well desired area for most asians (Vietnamese, Chinese) house prices are well above average.

Box hill secondary (State school is shit) however they also have a program for academic students so you may want to look at the schools for the kids you cannot just get the kids into any school especially state schools unless you go private then they will take the kids & your money.

i work for the dept of education & all state schools have a zone meaning a radius where the schools fall into. so what area you intend to live in 1st get in contact with the school in your area then visit the place when your here they all do school tours, for goodness sake dont just expect it all to fall in place thats where most people fall down.

if i can help more just ask.
we just came back from visiting fams in Rowville.

I lived there for a couple of months when I first moved here, but always had my sights on moving to the western suburbs as I could get more for my buck when buying a house and be close to the city for my work.

Knox City is great though u've got every shop under the sun there.

Anyway hope u've had a great new year

All the best
G
gsidhu is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.