Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 1/2 months - Melbourne update

2 1/2 months - Melbourne update

Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of
Default 2 1/2 months - Melbourne update

Heres our update since arriving in Melbourne over 2 months ago.

Background:

Im 30 from England, wife is Canadian, were both from indian descent. I work in IT, wife in retail. Have been to Australia 3 times before as I have family here, decided on moving to Melbourne as i thought it may be better for our needs to live than England, so decided to go have look at what all the fuss is about

1 month in:

Left from the UK, had a short stay in Canada, then flew to stay with Family in Melbourne via LA/Auckland route - all pleasant enough

Did all the routine stuff medicare/tfn/driving license/buying car all straight forward and very efficient.

Started job hunting straight away, was gonna take it easy for the first few months, but luckily i didnt as it took me 4 weeks to get a contract job, I wasn't used to being interviewed by IT agencies (face-to-face) before they sent my CV off, but i guess every country has its way of working. Was good in a way as it allowed me to practice up my interview technique again

I went to see loads of display homes and looked at Point Cook estates which i'd been looking at whilst in the UK, was abit surreal to actually be there. The display homes are amazing, and to be able to know that we can afford one of these homes is incredible. A major point for me as the houses in England that we could afford were shoeboxes.

2 months in:

Wife arrived from her Canadian holiday. Secured a rental in Point Cook. Bought land in Point Cook. Crashed the car into my cousins car. Given 4 weeks notice from work as project got canned. And booked a nice weekend trip to Adelaide to visit the family.

My thoughts so far:

Its been pretty full on since we got here, so i've not had a chance to see/enjoy much in Melbourne yet, i reckon we wont be properly settled for months. It is way too early to even say whether its for us, that decision will take a few years to reach. Everything at the moment still feels surreal, getting a job and place of our own has helped to develop some normality. Have been through quite a few emotions but not been phased by them yet, as i knew they would be experiences that i would be going through,
i.e. the goodbyes, the living out of suitcases, the shock when seeing your first shopping bill.

I wouldnt have done this though had i not got some family here, as they have been great to us, and was another factor for us try the whole immigration lark. For the people who come here not knowing a soul I salute you!

Random stuff

- Took UK mobiles - and went with Virgin Mobile (Free to V) deal
- Car Insurance with AAMI - Were excellent when I had the crash to deal with (and cheap too)
- For phone and broadband went with Telstra
- Took Unlimited World package from Skype for 60quid (annually), for unlimited international calls, call quality not great but u get what u pay for
- Furnishing the rental from Goodguys/Plush sofa/Fantastic Furniture - cost us $11,000 for 3 - bed townhouse, spent a few $$$ more as i plan to use most of the furniture in our own home.
- Used Ozforex to transfer money - have been great (we got 2.05 rate - calculated last year
on getting 2.41 - but u win some lose some)
- Shipping company used Sevenseas, good to deal with, but shipment came 3 weeks earlier than expected, so had to store them at cousins place. In hindsight i would have took the free month storage option - so give us abit more time.
- Started bank account from UK with ANZ, then switched to NAB when I arrived - gave more interest and fee-free banking if you paid over $3500 into your account monthly.
- Got Foxtel for EPL, and VisionAsia for wifes indian channels
- Stella and Kroneberg readily available - though Cascade is good too
- Not sorted out private insurance yet, still not sure i should get it.
- Started up Breeze.com.au account for the toll roads covering both Citi and Eastlink
- Not had a chance to the http://www.neighbourstour.com/ yet, but looking forward to it on one of the weekends.
- Renters insurance taken out with AAMI - $160(Annually)
- Used Tint Professor for tinting the motor - decent job for $250
- A subway Italian BMT costs me $4.95 from Collins, and $5.45 from Bourke, so shop around.
- Melbourne has a great variety of different cuisines , I love lunchtimes.
- Not sure if my UK Xbox works here, not had a chance to fire it up, will let you know in my next update

Thats all for now, thanks for tuning in.

G
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:26 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 1/2 months - Melbourne update

Good to hear your settling in, bad news about the car tho, at least your both ok.
Good luck for the future.
Kat xx
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

yc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really niceyc2m is just really nice

Really useful post Matey, thanks for that! Good luck with the house and all
Evie

Last edited by yc2m; Aug 5th 2008 at 4:36 pm. Reason: 'cause i can't spell!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gsidhu

Background:

Im 30 from England, wife is Canadian, were both from indian descent. I work in IT, wife in retail. Have been to Australia 3 times before as I have family here, decided on moving to Melbourne as i thought it may be better for our needs to live than England, so decided to go have look at what all the fuss is about

1 month in:

Left from the UK, had a short stay in Canada, then flew to stay with Family in Melbourne via LA/Auckland route - all pleasant enough

Did all the routine stuff medicare/tfn/driving license/buying car all straight forward and very efficient.

Started job hunting straight away, was gonna take it easy for the first few months, but luckily i didnt as it took me 4 weeks to get a contract job, I wasn't used to being interviewed by IT agencies (face-to-face) before they sent my CV off, but i guess every country has its way of working. Was good in a way as it allowed me to practice up my interview technique again

I went to see loads of display homes and looked at Point Cook estates which i'd been looking at whilst in the UK, was abit surreal to actually be there. The display homes are amazing, and to be able to know that we can afford one of these homes is incredible. A major point for me as the houses in England that we could afford were shoeboxes.

2 months in:

Wife arrived from her Canadian holiday. Secured a rental in Point Cook. Bought land in Point Cook. Crashed the car into my cousins car. Given 4 weeks notice from work as project got canned. And booked a nice weekend trip to Adelaide to visit the family.

My thoughts so far:

Its been pretty full on since we got here, so i've not had a chance to see/enjoy much in Melbourne yet, i reckon we wont be properly settled for months. It is way too early to even say whether its for us, that decision will take a few years to reach. Everything at the moment still feels surreal, getting a job and place of our own has helped to develop some normality. Have been through quite a few emotions but not been phased by them yet, as i knew they would be experiences that i would be going through,
i.e. the goodbyes, the living out of suitcases, the shock when seeing your first shopping bill.

I wouldnt have done this though had i not got some family here, as they have been great to us, and was another factor for us try the whole immigration lark. For the people who come here not knowing a soul I salute you!

Random stuff

- Car Insurance with AAMI - Were excellent when I had the crash to deal with (and cheap too)
- Took Unlimited World package from Skype for 60quid (annually), for unlimited international calls, call quality not great but u get what u pay for
- Furnishing the rental from Goodguys/Plush sofa/Fantastic Furniture - cost us $11,000 for 3 - bed townhouse, spent a few $$$ more as i plan to use most of the furniture in our own home.
- Used Ozforex to transfer money - have been great (we got 2.05 rate - calculated last year
- Shipping company used Sevenseas, good to deal with, but shipment came 3 weeks earlier than expected, so had to store them at cousins place. In hindsight i would have took the free month storage option - so give us abit more time.
- Started bank account from UK with ANZ, then switched to NAB when I arrived - gave more interest and fee-free banking if you paid over $3500 into your account monthly.
- Started up Breeze.com.au account for the toll roads covering both Citi and Eastlink
- Not had a chance to the http://www.neighbourstour.com/ yet, but looking forward to it on one of the weekends.
- A subway Italian BMT costs me $4.95 from Collins, and $5.45 from Bourke, so shop around.
- Not sure if my UK Xbox works here, not had a chance to fire it up, will let you know in my next update

G
great post, let us know what you think of adelaide.
Thanks
Ronnie
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Great to read all about you setting up in Melbourne - thanks for all the random stuff you wrote, should be useful to those of us moving out shortly!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good update & glad all well so far
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:04 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, loads of info....

Poor you crashing your car, at least it was with family though! Glad you're Ok and the insurance was good at paying out.

Hope that you find another job somewhere soon!

Ali x
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gsidhu

Background:

1 month in:

2 months in:

My thoughts so far:

Random stuff

G
Hi gsidhu,
Thanks for a good update. We are also thinking of moving to Melbourne directly, without visiting it though knowing of the global recession. Right now we are not having any friends/relatives in Melbourne but I have heard that job possibilities are more here than in Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane. Sydney seems to a little expensive than Melbourne. Whats your experience and how much time do you think one will require to look for a decent job and what about part time job, which could offer you to earn for day to day expenses?? We are family of 4 (1daughter-13 years, 1 Son -5years, wife - teacher and I am an Environmental Engineer).I am planning to come alone first.
Regards
Sanjay
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the informative update and congratulations on settling in.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

best o luck in next 2 1/2 months.