Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

JAMIE&KERRIE- 2 WEEKS IN

JAMIE&KERRIE- 2 WEEKS IN

Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of
Default JAMIE&KERRIE- 2 WEEKS IN

Well, we've been here on the SUNSHINE COAST 2 weeks now, so far so quite good...Kerrie is working part-time, with a view to full-time and seems to be enjoying it BUT as we've both found out already (and you probably won't read on a forum )A FEW WORDS OF WARNING:-

A VAST majority of jobs are casual initially with only a few lucky few with full-time permanent work as we know it in the UK, that's ALL fields, including trades, and even if you are taken on full-time, your initial CASUAL RATE WILL THEN DROP TO A LOWER FULL-TIME RATE, AS YOU WILL THEN BE PAID SICK/HOL/SUPER!

Indeed Kerrie started a job in telesales (seems to be alot of that here) and was only told after 3 days of her 5 days training she wasn't being paid for the training and the job was commission based only with no basic

I'm a metal machinist and "walking and talking" really does seem to be the best way to secure work here, agency's are a waist of time really...i've got a 2 day try out on Monday, with no guarantees beyond that....so make sure you are financially secure or have a bit behind you to tied you over, and be prepared to wait for the phone to ring, which is fustrating...

Also forget cheap 2nd hand motoring of the UK we have had a nasty shock re the price of 2nd hand cars here, expect to pay DOUBLE you would in the UK and 10-20 year cars are the norm due to this.. renting is also expensive and VERY competitive and interest rates have just gone up again to 6.75%

Well, thats the negatives out the way, the positives are already we believe it is a safer, cleaner generally more pleasant place to live (IF you can afford to live here long term) and the sun does shine nearly every day, in short, it is as close to paradise as you can get...
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Masadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: JAMIE&KERRIE- 2 WEEKS IN

Good luck on the job front, keep plugging away and eventually something will happen.It took me 4 months and 3 jobs before i settled into a job that ticked most boxes.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:20 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Well, we've been here on the SUNSHINE COAST 2 weeks now, so far so quite good...Kerrie is working part-time, with a view to full-time and seems to be enjoying it BUT as we've both found out already (and you probably won't read on a forum )A FEW WORDS OF WARNING:-

A VAST majority of jobs are casual initially with only a few lucky few with full-time permanent work as we know it in the UK, that's ALL fields, including trades, and even if you are taken on full-time, your initial CASUAL RATE WILL THEN DROP TO A LOWER FULL-TIME RATE, AS YOU WILL THEN BE PAID SICK/HOL/SUPER!

Indeed Kerrie started a job in telesales (seems to be alot of that here) and was only told after 3 days of her 5 days training she wasn't being paid for the training and the job was commission based only with no basic

I'm a metal machinist and "walking and talking" really does seem to be the best way to secure work here, agency's are a waist of time really...i've got a 2 day try out on Monday, with no guarantees beyond that....so make sure you are financially secure or have a bit behind you to tied you over, and be prepared to wait for the phone to ring, which is fustrating...

Also forget cheap 2nd hand motoring of the UK we have had a nasty shock re the price of 2nd hand cars here, expect to pay DOUBLE you would in the UK and 10-20 year cars are the norm due to this.. renting is also expensive and VERY competitive and interest rates have just gone up again to 6.75%

Well, thats the negatives out the way, the positives are already we believe it is a safer, cleaner generally more pleasant place to live (IF you can afford to live here long term) and the sun does shine nearly every day, in short, it is as close to paradise as you can get...
just tell them you are not interested in casual. first job i interviewed for , the guy says it would be casual so i just said thank you and walked out. he came running out to the car park and offered me perm at the rate he offered casual. stick to your guns , there are lots of jobs. agree with everything else though, especially agencies for tradies. useless!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

stick in there its only been 2 weeks im sure you will soon find a job soon fingers crossed for you, good luck and Enjoy
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:31 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
stick in there its only been 2 weeks im sure you will soon find a job soon fingers crossed for you, good luck and Enjoy
My mate says that cars last for 10-20 years in Oz as there aint as much crap such as salt going on the roads like over here in UK which rots the cars at a very alarming rate.

but stick in there, i think its gotta be worth working at.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:12 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi guys

its great to hear from you.
the "job thing" seems a bit of a nightmare, but I hope things get better for you. whats your rental like, it looked fab when you emailed the details to me.
email me when you have time. keep safe
bec
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

hi jamie & kerrie
glad to hear your there safely am sure job offers will get better soon

all the best tony & anne marie xx