Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Six month in Melbourne (almost!)

Six month in Melbourne (almost!)

Old May 13th 2007, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Six month in Melbourne (almost!)

Mini celebration yesterday, does'nt take much of an excuse but it was 12 months yesterday that my wife answered the phone to be told by our immigration agent that we had got our visas! Wow, it seems like a life time ago, so much change in one year.

A year of real ups and thankfully few downs, actually most of the downs were involved in the preparation to get here.

The downs.....

Selling the house, a**e we sold too tried to drop the price prior to completion as he knew we were emigrating. Nice.

Saying goodbye to family and friends, a lot harder than we both imagined it would be and we expected it to be hard! Good luck with that one (top tip - taxi to the airport).

To be honest, thats about it, maybe there were more, I'm sure there were but they don't jump to the fore of my mind now so let them lie I say.

The Upside............

We like Melbourne a lot and we were never city dwellers (Cumbrians).

Managed to get a great rental that was furnished (took about a week - Rowville, lovely area)

Our dog getting here safe and well.

The people around us, all Oz and have been fantastic. Made some nice friends.

Being invited out to spend Christmas day with a family who took pity on us for being on our jack! Like that used to happen a lot in the UK!

Enjoying some time out for the first time in ages before we started looking for work. Lots of road trips and generally nosing about.

My wife landing a job from her first interview (childcare.....loads of work here if you will work in Kinder.....don't let anyone tell you different).

I landed a Job within a week of putting my CV out one agency (Occ Health), then had a offer of another within a month of starting!

Victoria itself, looked around a lot, still a lot to see but surprised how well we have settled here and how diverse one territory can be (the Great Ocean Rd is stunning).

I've played in bands and taught evening classes for years, within a month I was playing in a band here and within two months teaching evening class in two different community centres (lots of other offers too which was nice but not enough hours in the week)

Looking forward to first set of family coming over in a couple of months.

National Park's ten mins away where you can sit and have a coffee and watch roo's in the wild (why are these parks always nearly empty?)

Oh, and the weather.......it's awesome! Even now in autumn.

So all in all we're feeling pretty lucky.

Is it what we expected? Not sure (I think it's impossible to visualize a place you have never been to before. It's a bit like looking at holiday brochures, how often do they give you a real feel for a place).

Are we doing what we thought we would be doing? Not sure.

Are we making more money than we were in the UK. No.

Are we happier here than we were in the UK. We are. Definitely

Here's the thing, before we came out here we made the pros and cons list and we talked for a long time about what we wanted from the move.

The answer was a better quality of life in terms of less stress, more time together and being able to grow old in a place where you felt safe and secure. Big houses, cars, boats and income never came into it (he said sitting in a big house with a station wagon on the drive.....you try and find a two bedroomed house!).

We put all our energies into planning the move, dotting every i and crossing every t to get us here and thankfully it all went to plan. Thanks to a lot of pointers from people on this site I might add, many thanks for that.

The second night here in Oz we went for a meal and started to talk about 'what do we do now with the rest of our lives?'

Like everyone you fumble your way through the decisions that you make and you do get some wrong, but as long as the good decisions outweigh the bad your're going in the right direction.

So we made the move, had the honeymoon period........and six months in it still feels pretty good to us.

Here's hoping that we will be looking back in another twelve months and seeing as much positive progress as we have since we got here.

For us, so far Oz has been a lucky country, and we wish the rest of you the same

Keep smiling!

Mike & Jayne
Old May 13th 2007, 7:18 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: Six month in Melbourne (almost!)

Glad you're enjoying life out there - great down to earth post thanks.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Glad you're enjoying life out there - great down to earth post thanks.
Great post! Nice to read a positive one..we are leaving the UK on 31/07 and are heading for Melbourne! Haven't got a clue where we want to settle! All researched out! Will check out Rowville!
Old May 13th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

dave wood will become famous soon enough

hi mike,i was interested to read youre post on victoria.we received a visa last week and have booked a flight to melbourne in october.I have a good friend who lives in Gisburn.we,re not sure were we want to head for next year so we are trying to visit victoria,south australia and western australia this year to activate visa.[youngest son doesnt leave school till next may] my wife runs a nursery and was interested in the childcare situation.I was interested to know why you chose victoria? Any advice would be appreciated.
glad to hear that you seem settled.
all the best from rainy Oldham
Old May 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post Mike - so glad that everything's worked out for you. Keep enjoying.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, hope our move feels as good.

Pete
Old May 14th 2007, 6:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post. Good luck to you both.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Fantastic post glad to hear some positiveness and very interesting too. We're on our way out there asap but we are only just submitting the TRA, hopefully not too long of a process though and that we'll get all the information right first time!!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickys
Fantastic post glad to hear some positiveness and very interesting too. We're on our way out there asap but we are only just submitting the TRA, hopefully not too long of a process though and that we'll get all the information right first time!!
Great post - we're landing in Melbourne on October 22nd. Can't wait. We did a reccie in Jan and really liks the place and surrounds.

I hope we settle as well as you guys have!

All the best, and long may you continue to enjoy the place.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

mrbond is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I'm also a Cumbrian looking to migrate to Melbourne (before or in 2010, long way off I know). Where about's in Cumbria are you from?
Old May 20th 2007, 7:08 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Mike.
We arrive in Melbourne at the end of the year.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

Glad everything's going well for you all.
I've heard of other people having trouble with house buyers when they hear that sellers are emigrating. I'll keep my plans to myself when I sell
Regards Sara
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Interesting update... will have to remember not to mention emigrating before contracts exchanged on our house sale !

Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Six month in Melbourne (almost!)

Originally Posted by sunburn
Interesting update... will have to remember not to mention emigrating before contracts exchanged on our house sale !

Apparently the estate agents try and get the lowest price you'l except too!! We are going to advise them that we are moving in a relatives house who has moved into a care home
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vickys
Apparently the estate agents try and get the lowest price you'l except too!! We are going to advise them that we are moving in a relatives house who has moved into a care home
We just said "moving south"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.