Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

I've been in Australia for 3 years and must say...

I've been in Australia for 3 years and must say...

Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I've been in Australia for 3 years and must say...

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
So is housing in Oz a bit like bacon in Sainsbury's - "Buy one get one free?"

Buzzy

It is if your cash machine was in Knightsbridge or the like!!!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:31 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Our house in the UK could have nearly fitted in our new home's master bedroom and, with the exchange rate at 2.6 at the time, cost a third less.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:30 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
This is in Derby.

The cost of housing in parts of Brisbane is more than most UK cities like for like.

You could buy a nice house in a reasonable suburb near London for what housing costs in many areas of Brisbane.....especially the western suburbs.

G
that's due to the effect of (a) UK housing downturn, 15% down I reckon, and (b) Australian $ strengthening and pound weakening.....xrates have fallen from 2.50 to 2.05 in a short space of time.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:35 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
I've been in Australia for 3 years and must say that once you get over the fact that some parts of it are a cross between England, American and Tenerife and that the familiarity to England is cosmetic only you can settle down very well and make a good life here.

We've met loads of good mates here who make life fun, even if some did follow from the UK but that just increased the social outing options.

Schools here have much more to offer than the local secondary schools in our previous areas.

Jobs are on a par with UK if you make the effort to shop around and not just stick with the first one . Although the holiday entitlement is slightly less sick days are seen as holiday entitlement by most like the UK Civil Service used to do.

Houses are cheaper around here than the UK and you get more for your $$$ so come on down where the sun shines most of the time and the water is warm...

I don't agree they are cheaper, you do get more, but it costs you more !!

I agree with the rest though, expecially the warm water
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:45 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep been here 3 yrs and had our implant earlier in the year just missed the quiz.

We too never came with tinted glasses we expected it to be a hard slog for the first two years or so but in reality hasn't been as bad as we'd prepared for.

Originally Posted by The Crow
You, you bl**dy Australian you....
Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I concur.

I love it here - I loved it the first time (before I moved to UK), and I love it with so much more appreciation now.

Still trying to get settled since we have only been back for 2 months, but already meeting people and getting out there and making the most of it. I am finding my money going alot further, my wages higher (and I was living in greater London!) and just feel better about the future for me and the family.

I don't have rose tinted glasses on, I too agree there are things the same, and things not so good, but ultimately this places works well (for me).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hello,
gosh have you been there 3 years already!???
time flies when your stuck in the uk
glad to hear you love it ...
sue xx
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I agree with Ann.

I managed to buy 2 houses for the price of 1 in the UK. The smaller house is still bigger than the one I had in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Brisben
I don't agree they are cheaper, you do get more, but it costs you more !!

I agree with the rest though, expecially the warm water
Supose it depends if you were North or South in the first place. If you lived in North you get more for your $$$'s I think than you could have got for that price in UK (in our case) size wise but costs more and most Northeners won't have made as much profit as Southeners. If you lived in South you probably made more on your UK house if you'd lived in it since before the 90's and it probably cost less to buy similar size house here or bigger.

Hope you're well insured, sounds like you need it. But is it Aus or you just a magnet to disaster???
Originally Posted by bigAPE
I bloody hate Australia.
  • I broke my little finger playing Aussie Rules a month ago ago and it still hurts
  • I sprained by thumb marking the ball a week ago and it still hurts
  • Lor, Fraser and the Crows got me drunk at the weekend in Olinda and I sprained by foot falling off the step on the way out the pub... and it still hurts
  • I went to the Telstra Dome on Sunday with the other AusKick coaches to help out as a Goal Umpire while my two sons played footy on the ground infront of 40,000 people and scored seven goals while hundreds of strangers cheered them on, then on the way back up to the stands after I spilt a hot pie on my hand... and it still hurts!.
All in all it sucks here, everything hurts !

Al
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Yep been here 3 yrs and had our implant earlier in the year just missed the quiz.
Hey Ann, not too far behind you, we've just done the quiz and I was very pleased to get 95%. Paul, of course, had to do one better and get 100%. I'm a bit worried about what they do in your citizenship ceremony in Gympie!!

We've loved it since we stepped off the plane - no going back for us!! I thought I would be really really homesick but I havn't had any!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:05 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Wow just made me think, 7 years for us next month

I've been in Australia for 3 years and must say that once you get over the fact that some parts of it are a cross between England, American and Tenerife and that the familiarity to England is cosmetic only you can settle down very well and make a good life here.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Hey Ann, not too far behind you, we've just done the quiz and I was very pleased to get 95%. Paul, of course, had to do one better and get 100%. I'm a bit worried about what they do in your citizenship ceremony in Gympie!!

We've loved it since we stepped off the plane - no going back for us!! I thought I would be really really homesick but I havn't had any!
LOL...as long as you passed the Aussies would probably of not got that high.
We sneaked in before the quiz.
Shaun and Debs ceremony was quite reasonable if not sureal due to the lack of footwear the Aussie flags in pint glasses and the fact that every time we thought the Mayor had finished and clapped she said "Oh No! there's more".

Originally Posted by themerlin
Wow just made me think, 7 years for us next month
7 year, you're doing very well you are nearly ready for your 10 year long service leave...LOL.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:18 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I know, scary !

Things have changed though, back then you could convert your 1 pound coin, buy a house and still have change for a can of coke!

7 year, you're doing very well you are nearly ready for your 10 year long service leave...LOL.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:22 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Supose it depends if you were North or South in the first place. If you lived in North you get more for your $$$'s I think than you could have got for that price in UK (in our case) size wise but costs more and most Northeners won't have made as much profit as Southeners. If you lived in South you probably made more on your UK house if you'd lived in it since before the 90's and it probably cost less to buy similar size house here or bigger.
Good point I am from the south.