Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Frustrating and desperate

Frustrating and desperate

Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:45 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frustrating and desperate

We made the move in September and nearly 6 months in to date ive had 5 days work and my wife is still waiting for her official Teacher registration from queensland.

Keep your house on - come here get established then sell is the best advice I can give, unfortunately we were not in a position to do this.

We moved to the sunshine coast and there is no IT work whatsoever going on - may have to move to Brisbane. Can't move yet until we know whats going on with her teaching.
Getting the visa is the easy bit - starting your life from scratch is the hardest part.
Australians are friendly people, will make you feel welcome, they just wont use you in business (old boy -network who you know not what you know).
Bureaucracy is unbelievable - never ending red tape - my wife had to turn a a supply teaching post down this morning as she needs to register her stuff with another office - which is a 50 page form and we are waiting on stuff from queensland education authority.
The left hand here doesn't know what the right hand is doing - think england in the 80's - and thats how things work here.
2 weeks ago my wife applied for a telephonists Job for money that wouldnt match our rent and was told she wasnt qualified.
I went for a computer consultancy/ technician job up at Noosa and the guy asked me how much my rent was - i told him $410 (not really his business to ask) - he offered me the job and offered me $400 a week.
Can't get any lower and I feel that we will get there it just is sooo hard.
Started my own Computing repair business (www.Croccomputers.com) made nothing. Nearly skint - cant afford to go back and wouldnt want to anyway.
The place is beautiful (been raining for 3 days now) - we arent going back to england.
To some up - expect to earn less than half what you did in england but trade it against how beautiful the beaches are and theres still plenty you can do for free.
Rant over any suggestions - not whinging but worried.

Too Easy - yeah Too hard
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:18 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Frustrating and desperate

Hi Mick! I remember you - we spoke a few times when we were both still in the UK. Actually, we are back in the UK but thats another story!! We too went to Sunshine Coast but had to come back because I was ill. However fear yee not me hearty because we are coming back out soon!!

Dont know if you remember, but my hubbie is an avid newcastle supporter so dont you dare go anywhere

See you soon mate and chin up kiddo
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:34 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
We made the move in September and nearly 6 months in to date ive had 5 days work and my wife is still waiting for her official Teacher registration from queensland.

Keep your house on - come here get established then sell is the best advice I can give, unfortunately we were not in a position to do this.

We moved to the sunshine coast and there is no IT work whatsoever going on - may have to move to Brisbane. Can't move yet until we know whats going on with her teaching.
Getting the visa is the easy bit - starting your life from scratch is the hardest part.
Australians are friendly people, will make you feel welcome, they just wont use you in business (old boy -network who you know not what you know).
Bureaucracy is unbelievable - never ending red tape - my wife had to turn a a supply teaching post down this morning as she needs to register her stuff with another office - which is a 50 page form and we are waiting on stuff from queensland education authority.
The left hand here doesn't know what the right hand is doing - think england in the 80's - and thats how things work here.
2 weeks ago my wife applied for a telephonists Job for money that wouldnt match our rent and was told she wasnt qualified.
I went for a computer consultancy/ technician job up at Noosa and the guy asked me how much my rent was - i told him $410 (not really his business to ask) - he offered me the job and offered me $400 a week.
Started my own Computing repair business (www.Croccomputers.com) made nothing. Nearly skint - cant afford to go back and wouldnt want to anyway.
The place is beautiful (been raining for 3 days now) - we arent going back to england.
To some up - expect to earn less than half what you did in england but trade it against how beautiful the beaches are and theres still plenty you can do for free.

Too Easy - yeah Too hard
Really feel for you Mick....hope this is not commonplace.....would have to give up my civil service job/security/pension here...to go unemployed for something new from scratch- a big worry.

Hmmm

Dave
Oldham
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:41 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mindblower
Really feel for you Mick....hope this is not commonplace.....would have to give up my civil service job/security/pension here...to go unemployed for something new from scratch- a big worry.

Hmmm

Dave
Oldham

its pretty hard to find work on sunshine coast but that is because a lot of the jobs arent advertised. its a case of knocking on doors. my hubbie is a plumber/gas engineer and he found work after 3 weeks. he had to jump through hoops to get his licence but he managed it ok. we then simply approached every plumbing/gas business in the area and struck lucky eventually.

too bad we came back to the UK because i was ill though
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:08 am
NervousExcited

Location: From Leicestershire and Hertfordshire now in Northampton
jemmaandjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Frustrating and desperate

Hi sorry to but in and change the subject I noticed you said your hubby was a plumber/gas fitter, my partner is too. We are just on the very beginning of starting trade applications but have heard a few worrying things about plumbing and heating contractors e.g hard to get work, very experienced plumbers having to start of as apprentices, low wages am a little worried as my partner does very well over here as a plumb/heater (does new houses). Do you have any advice, any pointers we will be heading for brisbane suburbs I think. Any thing would be very very much apreciated , again sorry to change subject!!! Many Thanks Jemnjon
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:51 pm
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Frustrating and desperate

Hi Mick......sorry to hear about your experience. No comfort I know, but we had a similar problem in 2003. We have PR visas, mine skill-matched, and I couldn't get work either. we stayed for 8 months in Sydney, before heading back very disappointed and disillusioned (+ broke !!!).

It would appear that there is an 'unwritten rule' that says that a Pommy cannot get work in their profession until they have done the 'hard yards'. By that I mean shop work, taxi driving or similar low grade activities, for at least 12 months. Quite a blow after spending a fortune on the visas and going through hoops with Immigration and the ACS to prove 20 years experience in a supposedly skills shortaged trade.

But hey, I think you do right by hanging in there. We wish we had, and are considering trying again before our visas expire in Oct. this year. I'm 50 now, and am seriously considering re-training in Oz, to do something more enjoyable and less stressful, but still earn a crust. We won't have much cash to bring, but the prospect of staying here into old age is really depressing. Better to be struggling in the warmth for a few years, than getting more and more miserable in the UK climate.

I'm sure that something will work out for you, and wish you all the best.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kernow1

It would appear that there is an 'unwritten rule' that says that a Pommy cannot get work in their profession until they have done the 'hard yards'. By that I mean shop work, taxi driving or similar low grade activities, for at least 12 months.
That sounds like a vague generalisation that is simply not true for many people and certainly not for me at least (thankfully!).

Mick, very sorry to hear about your difficulties and I hope things turn around for you soon.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:06 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Mick my heart goes out to you and yours mate. I truly wish there was something I could do to help you, sounds like you're having a real struggle out there.

Please keep us updated, hope things look up for you soon mate.

Kath
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Clippies
Mick my heart goes out to you and yours mate. I truly wish there was something I could do to help you, sounds like you're having a real struggle out there.

Please keep us updated, hope things look up for you soon mate.

Kath
Sorry to hear that its not going too well for you at the moment. I hope things look up for you really soon.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 5:08 pm
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold

Too Easy - yeah Too hard
Chin up mate, things can only get better for you all.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:29 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Frustrating and desperate

Originally Posted by Whitby whaler
Chin up mate, things can only get better for you all.
What a difference a week can make.
My wife took a call 1 hour ago - she has been offered a Job at a school in caboulture - never even met the woman. Permanent. full time.
During the telephone call the power blew and a fuse in the electrics needed resetting - seriously.
My wife blew the power at the moment of being offered the job and its a wireless/ handsfree...... spoooky

I have got 2 jobs tomorrow and I am handing business cards out like sweets to anyone that will listen.
Thanks for everyones support We needed it and the power of positive thinking seems to have made a difference.
- i think we may have made it - long way ahead but just maybe.
Thankyou all
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
That sounds like a vague generalisation that is simply not true for many people and certainly not for me at least (thankfully!).

Mick, very sorry to hear about your difficulties and I hope things turn around for you soon.
Have to agree! Mark had to work at Big W stacking shelves before he started with the police. He also did landscaping and general dogsbody work too!

Do a search for our friends (Pegleg) on here and you can read all about how difficult it can be to find work! It was a nightmare for them, 100's of applications sent, only a few interviews then finally 4 mths later Susie got a job!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

My wife took a call 1 hour ago - she has been offered a Job at a school in caboulture - never even met the woman. Permanent. full time.
During the telephone call the power blew and a fuse in the electrics needed resetting - seriously.
My wife blew the power at the moment of being offered the job and its a wireless/ handsfree...... spoooky

I have got 2 jobs tomorrow and I am handing business cards out like sweets to anyone that will listen.
Thanks for everyones support We needed it and the power of positive thinking seems to have made a difference.
Thankyou all
Well done, delighted for you both.

A few times in my life, I have found when you think you have hit rock bottom life changes for the better.....I am a great believer in fate!! But then if you feel you are at the bottom, the only way is up!!! LOL

Good luck for the future.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:21 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou all

Crikey, this positive thinking is sure powerful to blow your fuses!
Congratulations and best of luck for the future.
Tracey
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:25 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou all
Ooh great stuff, fingers crossed things keep getting better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.