Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

First weeks in Cairns...The OH version!

First weeks in Cairns...The OH version!

Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Bundaberg the land of Rum from south wales the land of song!
bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns...The OH version!

Enjoyed the post even though im heading to Bundaberg on the 8th.
Id like to visit cairns sometime i liked the look of it when i watch a programme about UK nurses going there. ive since spoke to a young doctor who spent some time there who told me how lovely it was.
Teryna
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:11 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundybell
Enjoyed the post even though im heading to Bundaberg on the 8th.
Id like to visit cairns sometime i liked the look of it when i watch a programme about UK nurses going there. ive since spoke to a young doctor who spent some time there who told me how lovely it was.
Teryna
well like I said if we manage to buy the holiday park I expect to see you all up there at some point
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
well like I said if we manage to buy the holiday park I expect to see you all up there at some point
Can you remind me about that should we ever get our visa?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by natalieml
I think it would probably be best for us as my partner will be applying for the visa based on him being a chef so will need to get all his skills assessed etc and then we'll need to add me to that visa as his De Facto partner so will need to proove we've been together. Plus we want to get out there as soon as we possibly can so to make things smoother we were recommended by an unbiased family member who is going through the process at the mo to get one. Any advice welcome though!

My visa application is pretty complicated but after receiving a few pieces of incorrect advice from agents I have decided to do it all myself. The visa applications very clearly state exactly what paperwork is required, I e mailed the assessing boards personally to find out exactly what they needed and D.I.M.C are very helpful if you e mail them. Also there are a few good agents on this site who log on and give free advice. Our application is complicated as my partner is same sex so I have to apply for an interdependency visa (seperate from ine when I get my visa). I have to gather the same info for that as a de-facto relationship...letters from relatives, freinds etc to state how long been together etc etc, old rent/mortgage statements, letters, cards, joint bank account statements, photos. it really isn't all that complicated and rushing the application could lead to you leaving something out rather than taking the time to get everything together.

I have got everything I need for the visa, everything, and sent it all off together..rather than in dribs and drabs. If your OH finds someone to sponsor him their part of the application is usually pretty quick..especially is it is classed as regional like cairns is. my employers part of visa application only took 7 weeks and mine should be only a few months more. Yours will be quicker as your OH will be able to go on your visa (assuming you are in a heterosexual relationship) so get everything together now. it does take a while to get letters from people as you have to keep nagging them but you should be fine.

It costs a lot to emigrate, if you are on a budget I would recommend doing it yourself. The visa forms are really quite self explanatory and it is easier than you think it will be...all down to organisation and lots of time posting questions on ex pats site and through the department immi and citizenship!

the Cairns post the other week said that they are desperate for chefs and a few businesses are considering closing as they are that desperate. Tell OH to get in there quick!!

Good luck, we hope to be in Cairns in march 08 and can't wait. we love the place too.
Liz
Anything else please PM me or post reply on thread.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Where are you looking at buying a holiday park?...is it in Cairns..sounds exciting.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sophjam
Hi Liz we are not packing ourselves just sorting and packing stuff to be stored here. We are using white and co at knaresborough they reduced their quote by a few hundred pounds and we were offered a 10% discount aswell we are using a full 20ft container £3.500 plus £150 insurance from letton percival Ive done it cheaply and crossing my fingers nothing happens on the way that is up to cairns. 3 bed bungalow. hope this helps Liz
Hiya,
Thanks for the info, will have to get a quote from white and co, havn't tried them yet. have 5 quotes so far and we want to get it down to below £3500 all in if poss as on a tight budget....think I will be getting around on a push bike at this rate when we get there..at least in March it will be getting drier there!!! My feet are so itchy, I want to be there now...it drives you mad. Where you thinking of living. i think we are going to rent somewhere in Forest Gardens and then look to buy 6 months later. it's near work..5 minute bike ride and also main bus route into CBD etc and good for dog walking. A lot cheaper than Trinity Beach to rent too. We like to go out so needs to be cheap for taxis home on the weekend too! Had a good walk around Forest Gardens when we were there and really felt nice, and it was quiet.
Liz
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

we are too
Hi
If you buy the caravan site can we stay for a month when we first get there?!!! Will we get expat discount...good luck with it all.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Hi
If you buy the caravan site can we stay for a month when we first get there?!!! Will we get expat discount...good luck with it all.
Like your way of thinking!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Like your way of thinking!
Cheeky way of thinking! Usually works though.
How do you get the smaller text under your posts saying dates you applied etc etc..visa stuff. i can't suss out how to do it!
Liz
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheeky way of thinking! Usually works though.
How do you get the smaller text under your posts saying dates you applied etc etc..visa stuff. i can't suss out how to do it!
Liz
Just had to go check!
go to My Profile, then under Options go to Edit Signature!

Well, think that is right but have had few glasses of alcoholic beverage so good luck!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Nice to know there's lots of Chef jobs in Cairns - i'll just have to be a kept women for a while - Look out logoon here I come
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyone know how Windog & wannabauzzienurse are getting on?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:15 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Can you remind me about that should we ever get our visa?

Certainly will!!

Where are you looking at buying a holiday park?...is it in Cairns..sounds exciting.

Well we knew we wanted Queensland, and now we've narrowed it down somewhere closer to Cairns, however, we're first time buyers so you have to start somewhere...they're not cheap those gaff's
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how Windog & wannabauzzienurse are getting on?
We met up with them and Youngy on boxing day.
Had a bloody good evening

They're doing okay but still waiting for their UK house sale to complete which is delaying their plans for here.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
We met up with them and Youngy on boxing day.
Had a bloody good evening

They're doing okay but still waiting for their UK house sale to complete which is delaying their plans for here.
Thanks for that Bix! Good to know all is well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.