Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

First weeks in Cairns...The OH version!

Wikiposts

First weeks in Cairns...The OH version!

Old Dec 18th 2007, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns...The OH version!

WINDOG

Love your posts..keep us updated, especially with tips where to find rentals in Northern Beaches area..with a large dog!
Glad you are enjoying it. Can't wait to get out there..seems to be a lot of us around March/April time going out...

Liz
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Okay.
I'm ready now.
Got me popcorn
Ahhh god I love Cairns....missing that free lagoon! Need another holiday!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:22 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this post, keep on coming
with those great posts!

And Bix...any popcorn left , pass me some too

Oh well, only a bit of waiting to do until our house (will it ever) is
sold and then we're on our way. We also really like the Redlynch area
and the Redlynch SS seems to be a good school as does St. Andrews
across the road.

How old are your kids? Our son Joe is 6.

Miranda
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Just wanted to pop in and say hi hope you had a great first xmas in cairns not long now and we will be on our way stress city in durham at the moment packing and sorting we arrive on the 10th january xx Trudi
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sophjam
Just wanted to pop in and say hi hope you had a great first xmas in cairns not long now and we will be on our way stress city in durham at the moment packing and sorting we arrive on the 10th january xx Trudi
Trudi
Don't forget to send me all your news when you get there and keep in touch. Bet you are excited, good luck with it all. I have my skills assessments all approved now so no exams to do in Oz before starting work. Only the medicals to do now. Boss wants me there now, I wish. Would be there like a shot if could go. Still not sold the house. Had 3 positive viewings and all said would buy if kitchen was bigger! Looks like we may be renting!

Wanted Down Under features Cairns in a few weeks so will be watching that dreaming of being there!
Love Lizx
Old Dec 28th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sophjam
Trudi,
Notice you are doing your own packing, who are you moving with and how much is it costing, does it include all prices from Brisbane to Cairns too and are you taking furniture? e have had some stupid quotes such as £4-5,500 all in for a 3 bed semi...but only taking living room and one bedroom stuff!!
Liz
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Hi Liz we are not packing ourselves just sorting and packing stuff to be stored here. We are using white and co at knaresborough they reduced their quote by a few hundred pounds and we were offered a 10% discount aswell we are using a full 20ft container £3.500 plus £150 insurance from letton percival Ive done it cheaply and crossing my fingers nothing happens on the way that is up to cairns. 3 bed bungalow. hope this helps Liz

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Trudi,
Notice you are doing your own packing, who are you moving with and how much is it costing, does it include all prices from Brisbane to Cairns too and are you taking furniture? e have had some stupid quotes such as £4-5,500 all in for a 3 bed semi...but only taking living room and one bedroom stuff!!
Liz
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:11 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
WINDOG

Glad you are enjoying it. Can't wait to get out there..seems to be a lot of us around March/April time going out...

Liz
we are too
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Liz,
Noticed you said Cairns is on 'Wanted down Under', do you know when it starts i hadn't realised there is a new series out.
We hope to move to Cairns in April, can't wait.
Deb
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I think wanted downunder starts o the 2d jan at 9.15 am on bbc1 the couple moving to cairns are on the 10th jan I think they said.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Just wanted to pop in and say GREAT POSTS and Keep them coming. I am so jealouse of all of you who are already in Cairns or are going soon. We have our first meeting with an agent in a week or so to begin the process but we're already decided on Cairns after staying there for 3 months on a Working Holiday Visa (Travelled most of the coutry and loved Cairns!). I wish I could fast forward the next year as now I have made my mind up to go I just want to pack my bags and get on the plane!

x
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:07 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natalieml
Just wanted to pop in and say GREAT POSTS and Keep them coming. I am so jealouse of all of you who are already in Cairns or are going soon. We have our first meeting with an agent in a week or so to begin the process but we're already decided on Cairns after staying there for 3 months on a Working Holiday Visa (Travelled most of the coutry and loved Cairns!). I wish I could fast forward the next year as now I have made my mind up to go I just want to pack my bags and get on the plane!

x
do you really need an agent? it's a lot of cash,
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

I think it would probably be best for us as my partner will be applying for the visa based on him being a chef so will need to get all his skills assessed etc and then we'll need to add me to that visa as his De Facto partner so will need to proove we've been together. Plus we want to get out there as soon as we possibly can so to make things smoother we were recommended by an unbiased family member who is going through the process at the mo to get one. Any advice welcome though!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:16 am
live free or die

I think it would probably be best for us as my partner will be applying for the visa based on him being a chef so will need to get all his skills assessed etc and then we'll need to add me to that visa as his De Facto partner so will need to proove we've been together. Plus we want to get out there as soon as we possibly can so to make things smoother we were recommended by an unbiased family member who is going through the process at the mo to get one. Any advice welcome though!
As long as your organised and take attention to detail you can do it on your own, I did a TRA each for the 2 of us and all the other bumf with no probs, i've had lots of jobs and lived any places, there were 4 PCCs too, so lots of dates names and places, and we were'nt married at the time but got married during the application, and OH had to have the IELTS test,

whereas a friend of mine paid for the agent and it came back twice with inconsistencies in the dates, because the agent buggered it up...

you will stilll have to provide all the info, and that's the nightmare diggin it all up not filling it in....ok maybe I wouldn't have said that at the beginning of the year when I was pulling my hair out!! lol
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

I think it would probably be best for us as my partner will be applying for the visa based on him being a chef so will need to get all his skills assessed etc
There was an article in the Cairns Post a few weeks back about there being a big demand for chefs in Cairns at the moment.

WW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.