First weeks in Cairns

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:31 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Quick update on the interview with CEC last night :

Applied for a job with CEC on Sunday night......Monday got an email saying someone from Human Resources wanted to do a phone interview on Tuesday night
Then had another email saying the interview would now be 2 people, someone from human resources and the construction manager!!
1am this morning the phone rings.....a secretary then connects to the interview room and the interview is done on loud speaker.
They seemed really impressed with hubby's 13 years experience.......and the interview lasted an hour!!!
They told hubby he is classed as a 'Project Engineer' and should he be offered a job it would consist of : salary (to be confirmed), super (pension), laptop, mobile phone and a car (with tax and ins paid) plus paid holidays.
They are now contacting hubby's references and will be speaking to the operations manager as to where a position is available in the company for him........all sounds very good!!!!
He may even be working on the Cairns airport job!!!!
They have a department which will offer us assistance in finding us a rental when we arrive too.
They also mentioned they could see hubby working his way up to be a 'Project Manager' within a short time with the Company.
They sounded very keen to get hubby working with them.
So.......looks like we are coming to Cairns
BTW.....watched WDU yesterday......and it actually made me feel much more positive about going there......didn't put me off at all!!!
Anyway.......should hear something by the end of this week for def.......so keep everything crosed for us please!!!
Beth x x
we do a lot of work for the cec group and roy lavis is held in very high regard by most people you meet.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:38 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
we do a lot of work for the cec group and roy lavis is held in very high regard by most people you meet.
Brilliant thanks......it all sounds too good to be true though
Will let you know the outcome as soon as we hear anything.........
Beth x x
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

BeccaW is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

I am quite new on here. I was using the forum to get advice on applying for a Prospective Marriage visa and it has been so helpful and now I am so positive about getting it (having meds done Friday, sending it off Monday!) I am getting really excited about moving out and so I was looking up info on Cairns as this is where I am heading.
My question is, has anyone looked into buying/renting property in Atherton/Mareeba way? My fiance grew up out there and he says it's lovely for families etc, about an hour from Cairns so not ideal if you have to work there, but I reckon there are no traffic jams?! I just wondered what the prices are like out there. Not too much on the net about those places.

Also, I am a local newspaper journalist - I know there is the Cairns Post, but does anyone know if there are many jobs round there for feature writers / subs?? It's a long shot but you don't know till you ask ....

xx Becca
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Becca,
I am sure that Bix will reply to you as he is very helpful & seems to know loads but you could also try sending him a private message!
Welcome to BE & good luck!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Thank you!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Quick update on the interview with CEC last night :

Applied for a job with CEC on Sunday night......Monday got an email saying someone from Human Resources wanted to do a phone interview on Tuesday night
Then had another email saying the interview would now be 2 people, someone from human resources and the construction manager!!
1am this morning the phone rings.....a secretary then connects to the interview room and the interview is done on loud speaker.
They seemed really impressed with hubby's 13 years experience.......and the interview lasted an hour!!!
They told hubby he is classed as a 'Project Engineer' and should he be offered a job it would consist of : salary (to be confirmed), super (pension), laptop, mobile phone and a car (with tax and ins paid) plus paid holidays.
They are now contacting hubby's references and will be speaking to the operations manager as to where a position is available in the company for him........all sounds very good!!!!
He may even be working on the Cairns airport job!!!!
They have a department which will offer us assistance in finding us a rental when we arrive too.
They also mentioned they could see hubby working his way up to be a 'Project Manager' within a short time with the Company.
They sounded very keen to get hubby working with them.
So.......looks like we are coming to Cairns
BTW.....watched WDU yesterday......and it actually made me feel much more positive about going there......didn't put me off at all!!!
Anyway.......should hear something by the end of this week for def.......so keep everything crosed for us please!!!
Beth x x

Congratulations. That sounds like a result....it was always meant to be Cairns.
Lizx
A few more for my BBQ get together list then.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:02 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeccaW
Hi everyone.

I am quite new on here. I was using the forum to get advice on applying for a Prospective Marriage visa and it has been so helpful and now I am so positive about getting it (having meds done Friday, sending it off Monday!) I am getting really excited about moving out and so I was looking up info on Cairns as this is where I am heading.
My question is, has anyone looked into buying/renting property in Atherton/Mareeba way? My fiance grew up out there and he says it's lovely for families etc, about an hour from Cairns so not ideal if you have to work there, but I reckon there are no traffic jams?! I just wondered what the prices are like out there. Not too much on the net about those places.

Also, I am a local newspaper journalist - I know there is the Cairns Post, but does anyone know if there are many jobs round there for feature writers / subs?? It's a long shot but you don't know till you ask ....

xx Becca
atherton and mareeba are booming. some of the fastest growing areas in regional qld. house prices reflect this and are not that different to cairns.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone.

xx Becca
I know of a number of people that commute to Cairns from the Tablelands, As for traffic jams . The Kuranda & Gillies Range Roads can be a pain at times.

WW
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

ooh, bad news all round then really!

So does it seem that relative to what people earn, house prices are the same there as they are in the UK? We will be buying our first house when we get out there and wanted something with atleast a bit of a garden. Do young first time buyers find it as hard to get on the property ladder there as we do here?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Mareeba supposed to be a bit of an unsavoury place to live ?
I'd be interested to hear other opinions on that.

Italian mafioso links to the Melbourne drive by shootings.
Drug industry.
Usual aboriginal problems / alcohol abuse.
Higher crime rate than surrounding areas.
Vandalism, graffitti etc etc.

Some things are not distinct to Mareeba yet it does seem to get mentioned more than most.
Certainly doesn't have a good rep with the locals I mix with.
They would pick Atherton to live every time.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Atherton profile:
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/subu...rton#mapanchor

Mareeba profile
http://www.domain.com.au/public/Subu...=buy#mapanchor
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:09 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Italian mafioso links to the Melbourne drive by shootings.
Drug industry.
Usual aboriginal problems / alcohol abuse.
Higher crime rate than surrounding areas.
Vandalism, graffitti etc etc.

You make it sound so lovely
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:15 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Probably duplicate lists:-

http://www.nla.gov.au/npapers/npapers_state.html#qld

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/australi.htm

http://www.cairnsblog.net/2008/01/yo...out-today.html
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by wardy2
You make it sound so lovely
I don't mean to but it is the impression I have of the place.
Let's hope someone can correct me and say it's out of perspective.

Oh, I didn't mention the escapee lions at the safari park did I ?
There was a guy who worked there that had a website dedicated to exposing "the truth" about the place as many exotic animals were dying every year.
I think it's under new management now.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

ooh, bad news all round then really!

So does it seem that relative to what people earn, house prices are the same there as they are in the UK? We will be buying our first house when we get out there and wanted something with atleast a bit of a garden. Do young first time buyers find it as hard to get on the property ladder there as we do here?
Prices are rising faster than wages so yes.
The rental market is large here so what they tend to do is rent while saving to buy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.