First weeks in Cairns

Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Cairns is a really beautiful place and does have a lot going for it but do you ever feel isolated?
BS
Only when the Bruce Highway is cut by flood waters in a zillion places

It helps to keep the Mexicans out (that's anyone from south of the Pine River)!

WW
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:54 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Only when the Bruce Highway is cut by flood waters in a zillion places

It helps to keep the Mexicans out (that's anyone from south of the Pine River)!

WW
Attached Images  
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:12 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
You're probably right

Bummer You're probably right too, my usual route through Freshwater is under water but there's two other options unforuneately
well i showed willing and made it to work via reservoire rd but they let me go home after 30 min just in case it got so bad that I couldn't get back home!
so we went out and took some pics of all the flood water in the barron gorge
Attached Thumbnails First weeks in Cairns-186.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-180.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-198.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-192.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-202.jpg  

Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:25 am

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

a few more
Attached Thumbnails First weeks in Cairns-196.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-197.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-209.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-188.jpg   First weeks in Cairns-206.jpg  

Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:52 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah great photos but worrying the hell out of me now
Beth x x
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

well i showed willing and made it to work via reservoire rd but they let me go home after 30 min just in case it got so bad that I couldn't get back home!
I went through Reservoir Road at 5.30 this morning. We were all doing 50/60kph, wipers going triple speed. Then some knob decides they want to do 80kph!! Why? Saw at least one vehicle in a ditch. Barron River heading north was still blocking the Bruce at 14.30. Had to go Kowabunga Rd. Wasn't as bad as I imagined.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

A couple of spots of rain, a bit of drizzle and everyone gets excited.

WW
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Beth x x
Considering the volume of water that has come down very few houses have been flooded main inconvenience is the roads getting closed
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:51 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

the water has been within 30 cm of that bridge your standing on. that about20 metres higher than it is today. have a look in the museum some time.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Was the second photo taken on Stoney creek Road Kamerunga?

I cant place the location of the landslip photo.

WW
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:39 am

WW
Yes the second one is stoney creek road and the landslip is on the barron gorge road
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Beth x x
Living in the tropics is just that, you take the good with the bad. The WET season is just that wet. In Cairns the grass is green all summer, unlike the rest of the country where it dies off.

The dry season likewise. One or the other. It's only the last few weeks that have got wet, the last one more so.

The down side is having to go all through winter reminding yourself that you should put some shoes on at so stage.

The upside is being to wash the cars (or renovated school bus as the case may be) as many times as you want every day.

WW
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:05 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

WW
that landslip has been there for ages. i ride my bike up there regularly
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
Its on

Cairns meet up

Saturday 22nd March
Red Beret in Redlynch (undercover area round the back, restaurant/bar with game stations and play area for younger kids)
From 4pm onwards

I will try to book a few tables, not sure how many are gonna turn up so wont be easy! I know there are a few definates though so will work from that.

Feel free to join us lot as its gonna be loads of fun

Have a nice weekend
Might cya some of ya soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.