Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A couple of weeks in Perth.

A couple of weeks in Perth.

Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default A couple of weeks in Perth.

So I thought I'd do a little update as we've done so much!

So our UK house sold at the beginning of July. We spent a couple of weeks living with friends before having a Sunday session leaving party and heading straight to the airport hotel before our flight to Dubai on the Monday. After 3nights in Dubai we headed to Perth. I cried when we landed

We have family in Perth so we were met at the airport and came home. We decided not to do anything over that weekend but we did get the Saturday paper which is so full of stuff relating to cars, insurance, phones and property that it gave us some leads for our buying mission the following week. I really recommend getting the weekend paper and from memory it is called the Western Australian.

Our first jobs were car, motorbike and rental. Our family were more than happy for us to stay for as long as we wanted but given we've not had our own space for a month we started to look immediately. I didn't bank on how hard this last month would be.

We seemed to spend days looking at cars and thought we'd found one but it had such a terrible write up that we went back to square 1. We found a ford focus though and collected this yesterday. So far so good. I spent an age looking at insurance quotes and couldn't find anyone to come close to the quote we got from Bingle. They are on line and their form filling is really quick and easy.

We also found a rental quite quickly. Still in Woodvale and within walking distance to family (great for babysitting!). We hope to get the keys today and move in over the weekend. Our container isn't due until 25 August but we're borrowing some bits and pieces plus buying a few bits (you must haggle with the likes of Harvey Norman, Goodbuys and other electrical places as you can get great deals). For our contents insurance we're using Real Insurance and got a good deal with them.

Phone is Telstra, internet is Westnet and we're going with Foxtel for sport etc. Foxtel is quite a bit more expensive than what we were paying in the UK for Sky so we will see how that goes over the coming months.

We both just got cheap mobiles with Vodafone. Quick and easy to do.

Still got to get hubby a motorbike but it has been pretty wet the last few days so too dangerous to test drive anything.

So that is where we are up to at the moment. All pretty good. Still doesn't feel that real as I feel like I am just here on holiday but I am sure next week things will start to kick in when hubby starts his course and I can start to look for a job.

Although it has been raining a fair bit the last week or so, the sun shines everyday and it is warm. We're excited but also a bit scared about the coming months, especially being on student visas but it is all about the challenge......bring it on!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:02 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default Re: A couple of weeks in Perth.

Great to hear from you KS. It is a bit daunting in the first few months but at least you will have the support from your family-familiar faces count for a lot at when you first arrive! best of luck with your new direction in life and I look forward to hearing more about it in the future.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

All the best,hope things continue to go well for you.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

Thanks for taking the time to type up your first couple of weeks. As we will be coming over in June next year i shall look forward to any and all updates that you post.....

All the best!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

Very good update. It will be good to know how your job search go. Have fun!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Great to hear your update Kingseat..... I think I was talking to you a while back with regards to working in childcare... let me know how all things go especially with regards to jobs..... Good post Loved reading it

Good luck

Nadine
Old Aug 30th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

katieandpaul74 will become famous soon enough

Yes, thank you for your up date, my family and I are also heading out to Perth next June, so any useful tips gratefully received!!

Good luck for the future
katie
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck with everything. . .

Cheers
Mandy
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all to all the Kingseats