Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas

Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas

Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas

Originally Posted by sophjam
Snap love the market, I think that will be a regular for me on a sunday and that pub on the corner with the live music. Stop off at ellis beach on the way up for a drink Im almost there cant wait. Just not looking forward to having no furniture for 10 weeks will have to beg steal and borrow to tide us over.
Know what you mean about beg,steal and borrow! I am on a course this weekend and can only just afford the petrol!! Thats without getting to Oz!
At least we will have someone to meet for a drink by the sounds of it in Port Douglas! I know which bar you mean..the iron bar has some wicked bands on too and dead opposite the market there is a restaurant (tapas style) which has south american/mexican live music on a sunday..we just sat and chilled for 2 hours there drinking sol with lime..fab.
When should you be there? Have you a house to sell? There seems to be about 4/5 lots of people going over spring time next year..I am going to be pro-active and definately plan some get togethers..I think we are all in the same boat and its great to know people early on...a BBQ at ours is a definate..when we suss out how do to one aussie style!!
Liz
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:45 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tripawaymars;5559941 they could all be axe yielding crazy people for all anyone knows as no one knows each other..Liz[/QUOTE]

You have heard about me then Liz
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:48 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
At least we will have someone to meet for a drink by the sounds of it in Port Douglas! I know which bar you mean..the iron bar has some wicked bands on too and dead opposite the market there is a restaurant (tapas style) which has south american/mexican live music on a sunday..we just sat and chilled for 2 hours there drinking sol with lime..fab.
Liz

It sounds perfect oooohhhhh can't wait
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Know what you mean about beg,steal and borrow! I am on a course this weekend and can only just afford the petrol!! Thats without getting to Oz!
When should you be there? Have you a house to sell? There seems to be about 4/5 lots of people going over spring time next year..I am going to be pro-active and definately plan some get togethers..I think we are all in the same boat and its great to know people early on...a BBQ at ours is a definate..when we suss out how do to one aussie style!!
Liz
We arrive in cairns on the 10th jan. I would love to come and will return the invite xx Trudi
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:52 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas

Hi ,

It's amazing who comes out the woodwork when some one mentions a barbe. No seriously, we would be glad to join any get-togethers, U have.

We are due there in spring (March/April). Still trying to sell our house at the mo'. Well to be more accurate it's sold, and where just praying the chain doesn't fall apart again (I do wish the press would shut up about house prices...).

Not got a job yet!! So anyone knows anyway of making money in Cairns (Legal please) let me know... Unless it's a secret, then pm me...

Bon voyage all & see you there....
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

When are you moving? I love Palm Cove but can't quite afford to live there ..not yet anyway! may be able to afford to rent there. Trinity beach or Kewarra Beach also an option for us. Keep us updated..what do you do? Have you jobs etc organised. i am going to try to arrange an ex pat get together when I eventually get there myself...march/April time. The more the merrier..providing you are both sane..or somewhere near to it..not too sane though!! Some nice people moving to cairns early next year...of course they could all be axe yielding crazy people for all anyone knows as no one knows each other..we all just have a great thing in common..we are all moving to Cairns and will all be in the same boat...some peoples boats bigger than others!! That makes mine a dinghy.
Liz
Palm Cove for me is one of the loveliest places up here. I'd consider moving there if it was convenient for work. Not so keen on Port Douglas, but I can understand why folks like it.

Welcome one and all, those here and those on their way... The Wet Tropics awaits you.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sophjam
We arrive in cairns on the 10th jan. I would love to come and will return the invite xx Trudi

Hiya
You know you would be more than welcome..providing I get through the medical! I ahev just got my lovely doctor to do me a letter to state that I have been losing weight and that my blood pressure is under control with the meds I am taking and he has also done a printout of my bloods, cholesterol, last 3 blood pressure checks, glucose, ecg from last year..everything. Bless him. I am going in with all the info that they need in advance. i know they still have to do bloods etc but at least they know that everything else is o.k. Should give me a head start. Am not going to book medical until January as want to lose another stone by then.

You will be more than welcome when we get over there..keep posting on here and if you have a chance send me a private PM so i can get together peoples e mail addresses etc to try to arrange regular meet ups out there..or even cups of coffee, dog walks (for those with dogs) etc etc.

Hope you are well. january, how exciting..
Liz
Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Hi ,

It's amazing who comes out the woodwork when some one mentions a barbe. No seriously, we would be glad to join any get-togethers, U have.

We are due there in spring (March/April). Still trying to sell our house at the mo'. Well to be more accurate it's sold, and where just praying the chain doesn't fall apart again (I do wish the press would shut up about house prices...).

Not got a job yet!! So anyone knows anyway of making money in Cairns (Legal please) let me know... Unless it's a secret, then pm me...

thats another user name to add to the BBQ/get together list then..can see some right good parties getting arranged!
Some of us keep joking that we could all be axe wielding murderers but we will soon find out!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Palm Cove for me is one of the loveliest places up here. I'd consider moving there if it was convenient for work. Not so keen on Port Douglas, but I can understand why folks like it.

Welcome one and all, those here and those on their way... The Wet Tropics awaits you.

As you are already there what is Smithfield like as an area to live? I have heard Smithfield heights is nice..saw a gorgeouse old queenslander style house for sale there, all odernised..amazing views and large gardens for offers in late 300,000's..I thought that seemed a complete bargain. i would have bought it immediately just from the photos..a gorgeous place. I will be working southern end of Mulgrave Road but not sure if I fancy that end of town..have heard Forest gardens is nice but as we will be spending lots of time dog walking on the beach thinking north of cairns better for us. Kewarra beach is another place we had thought about. Not sure about Clifton beach as we saw some undesirables hanging around near the toilets there and it seemed a little bit rougher around the edges (I may be wrong)..liked the beach though.

Any tips would be very helpful. Our biggest hurdle I think will be trying to find somewhere to rent with the dog..so we may just have to live where we can get initially (within reason)...and the dog would howl all day if left outside..would be o.k in the garage probably.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:46 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

As you are already there what is Smithfield like as an area to live? I have heard Smithfield heights is nice..saw a gorgeouse old queenslander style house for sale there, all odernised..amazing views and large gardens for offers in late 300,000's..I thought that seemed a complete bargain. i would have bought it immediately just from the photos..a gorgeous place. I will be working southern end of Mulgrave Road but not sure if I fancy that end of town..have heard Forest gardens is nice but as we will be spending lots of time dog walking on the beach thinking north of cairns better for us. Kewarra beach is another place we had thought about. Not sure about Clifton beach as we saw some undesirables hanging around near the toilets there and it seemed a little bit rougher around the edges (I may be wrong)..liked the beach though.

Any tips would be very helpful. Our biggest hurdle I think will be trying to find somewhere to rent with the dog..so we may just have to live where we can get initially (within reason)...and the dog would howl all day if left outside..would be o.k in the garage probably.
Smithfield was just a few houses when I first came here in the 90s. Now it's a major shopping centre with rapidly growing suburbs. Smithfield Heights, as the name suggests is slightly up the hill and commands some spectaclular views, much of which I suspect will disappear under houses in years to come. Both places are nice enough, with old Queenslanders mixing with new builds (though mostly the latter). Certain not a 'crime' area as far as I know. Cairns is very compact, so wherever you live you are not going to be a humungous distance from work. I don't drive (yet) so need to be in town, though as I love the rainforest, I'm hoping to put that right in the near future.

I remember reading a few of your posts a while back enquiring about Townsville. Hope you don't mind me asking, but what made you decide on Cairns? I was originally going to go to Townsville too, but decided that I much preferred the idea of the rainforest on my doorstep.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Smithfield was just a few houses when I first came here in the 90s. Now it's a major shopping centre with rapidly growing suburbs. Smithfield Heights, as the name suggests is slightly up the hill and commands some spectaclular views, much of which I suspect will disappear under houses in years to come. Both places are nice enough, with old Queenslanders mixing with new builds (though mostly the latter). Certain not a 'crime' area as far as I know. Cairns is very compact, so wherever you live you are not going to be a humungous distance from work. I don't drive (yet) so need to be in town, though as I love the rainforest, I'm hoping to put that right in the near future.

I remember reading a few of your posts a while back enquiring about Townsville. Hope you don't mind me asking, but what made you decide on Cairns? I was originally going to go to Townsville too, but decided that I much preferred the idea of the rainforest on my doorstep.
Hi

Thanks for reply..Townsville! Well, i was offered what i thought was a good job there and then a few of the other employers I had interviews with warned me off of working for the firm in Townsville. We then spent a month from Sydney to Cape tribulation and stopped in Townsville on the way up..we didn't get a feel for the place..the promenade area o.k but not much else appealed to us. it looked so dry and I like my greenery! We thought the same about Brisbane.

When we got to Cairns we both had a really nice feel about the place as we were driving in. Then we went to Port Dougals , loved it..up to Kuranda, the talblelands etc etc and then fell in love with Trinity beach/Palm Cove area. the fact cairns was compavt appealed but it seems to have everything that you need there. i then got a very good job offer in cairns..and the rest is history. hope to be out there in march. Made a good freind on this website in Townsville so dare say I will be visiting it in the future...
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

Hi

Thanks for reply..Townsville! Well, i was offered what i thought was a good job there and then a few of the other employers I had interviews with warned me off of working for the firm in Townsville. We then spent a month from Sydney to Cape tribulation and stopped in Townsville on the way up..we didn't get a feel for the place..the promenade area o.k but not much else appealed to us. it looked so dry and I like my greenery! We thought the same about Brisbane.

When we got to Cairns we both had a really nice feel about the place as we were driving in. Then we went to Port Dougals , loved it..up to Kuranda, the talblelands etc etc and then fell in love with Trinity beach/Palm Cove area. the fact cairns was compavt appealed but it seems to have everything that you need there. i then got a very good job offer in cairns..and the rest is history. hope to be out there in march. Made a good freind on this website in Townsville so dare say I will be visiting it in the future...
Cairns people frequently go on about how much they hate Townsville and for reasons you've just cited! There's a big rivalry between the two places.

I'm really not a city person at all; in fact I hate cities in general to live in. I feel quite claustrophobic in Cairns for that reason (I lived in a village in Kent for 18 years), but then I am near the CBD... I love walking up to Centenary Lakes via the cemetery and sometimes on up the Red Arrow track up Mt Whitfield (when it isn't completely infested with joggers). All these locations have rainforest and other interesting habitats.

When I eventually learn to drive I might move to Kuranda, or at least to the edge of town so as to be nearer the rainforest. Folks I work with see interesting wildlife in their gardens all the time and I miss out as I don't even have a garden!

Cairns is OK for the reasons you mention and will seem small after Manchester I dare say, and I certainly don't begrudge the facilities it has to offer, even if there are no decent bookshops... Still you can't have 'em all...
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Hi ,

Havn't seen you post for a while..how are the plans for cairns going?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:40 am
Just Joined

esex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by expom
Hello,
Well I think I've died and gone to heaven. Tropical paradise just about covers it. We were planning on living in Cairns but when my husband got a job up in Port Douglas we had to move up here. Its about an hour's drive from central Cairns, half an hour from the Northern beaches, I still go into Cairns pretty often as you can't buy anything practical in Port, plenty of wafty, incensey pretty things, but no hoovers. And we take the kids down to the lagoon and Muddies, they are just brilliant, and free! Other than that we are settling nicely into a quieter pace of life, early morning swims on the beach, wandering the shops and markets, taking the kids to the zoo. Going to playgroup tomorrow and we have started swimming lessons with my oldest son. luckily I don't have to work so loads of time to play with the kids and show them the wildlife, which is just amazing. We are renting a 4 bed house at $400/week, which is the cheapest we could find, rentals are thin on the ground up here. It's very nice though. Every time I go out through the front door I just can't believe how beautiful everything is.
Only downside was we had a bag stolen, from the airport or Taxi, and it was THE bag, with all the important documents, family photos etc. It was absolutely devastating, but , hey, I'm over it! Moral..watch yourself at Cairns airport, we've never had anything lost or stolen before in any of the very dodgy countries we've visited, so it was a bit of a shock to the system. The police have been less than great.
And the beer is cheap and the wine is good. The food is great.
So hope this feeling lasts
Alyson
Hi expom i have just moved myself and my family 3kids to port douglas seems like the poms are taking over and making it our own paradise, we also think that it is heaven although a little nit pricey heaven but well worth it, was interested in your article about the child benefit you get could you tell me who to contact or a web site many thanks shaun (esex)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esex
Hi expom i have just moved myself and my family 3kids to port douglas seems like the poms are taking over and making it our own paradise, we also think that it is heaven although a little nit pricey heaven but well worth it, was interested in your article about the child benefit you get could you tell me who to contact or a web site many thanks shaun (esex)
Hi Shaun.

Expom hasn't posted on the site since last Oct so I doubt you will get a reply.
Try starting your own thread with any question you have.
Sorry, I can't help on that topic.

Oh, and welcome to the site.