British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/arrived-cairns-port-douglas-488071/)

expom Oct 18th 2007 12:11 pm

Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas

Hello,
Well I think I've died and gone to heaven. Tropical paradise just about covers it. We were planning on living in Cairns but when my husband got a job up in Port Douglas we had to move up here. Its about an hour's drive from central Cairns, half an hour from the Northern beaches, I still go into Cairns pretty often as you can't buy anything practical in Port, plenty of wafty, incensey pretty things, but no hoovers. And we take the kids down to the lagoon and Muddies, they are just brilliant, and free! Other than that we are settling nicely into a quieter pace of life, early morning swims on the beach, wandering the shops and markets, taking the kids to the zoo. Going to playgroup tomorrow and we have started swimming lessons with my oldest son. luckily I don't have to work so loads of time to play with the kids and show them the wildlife, which is just amazing. We are renting a 4 bed house at $400/week, which is the cheapest we could find, rentals are thin on the ground up here. It's very nice though. Every time I go out through the front door I just can't believe how beautiful everything is.
Only downside was we had a bag stolen, from the airport or Taxi, and it was THE bag, with all the important documents, family photos etc. It was absolutely devastating, but , hey, I'm over it! Moral..watch yourself at Cairns airport, we've never had anything lost or stolen before in any of the very dodgy countries we've visited, so it was a bit of a shock to the system. The police have been less than great.
And the beer is cheap and the wine is good. The food is great.
So hope this feeling lasts
Alyson

Baby75 Oct 18th 2007 4:13 pm

Re: Arrived in Cairns/Port Douglas

Originally Posted by expom (Post 5439822)
Hello,
Well I think I've died and gone to heaven. Tropical paradise just about covers it. We were planning on living in Cairns but when my husband got a job up in Port Douglas we had to move up here. Its about an hour's drive from central Cairns, half an hour from the Northern beaches, I still go into Cairns pretty often as you can't buy anything practical in Port, plenty of wafty, incensey pretty things, but no hoovers. And we take the kids down to the lagoon and Muddies, they are just brilliant, and free! Other than that we are settling nicely into a quieter pace of life, early morning swims on the beach, wandering the shops and markets, taking the kids to the zoo. Going to playgroup tomorrow and we have started swimming lessons with my oldest son. luckily I don't have to work so loads of time to play with the kids and show them the wildlife, which is just amazing. We are renting a 4 bed house at $400/week, which is the cheapest we could find, rentals are thin on the ground up here. It's very nice though. Every time I go out through the front door I just can't believe how beautiful everything is.
Only downside was we had a bag stolen, from the airport or Taxi, and it was THE bag, with all the important documents, family photos etc. It was absolutely devastating, but , hey, I'm over it! Moral..watch yourself at Cairns airport, we've never had anything lost or stolen before in any of the very dodgy countries we've visited, so it was a bit of a shock to the system. The police have been less than great.
Alyson

did you say $400 dollars a week thats expensive, sorry to here about your bag :)

mand8002 Oct 19th 2007 8:39 am

Hello,
Alyson

Sorry to hear about your bag, what a start, but you certainly live in a beautiful part of the country. We love Port Douglas and would live there in a shot if there were work opportunities.

expom Oct 19th 2007 10:39 am

Yep, $400/week is the going rate. We looked at a few 2 bed townhouses for under $300 but they all came furnished and were not great and all our stuff was about to arrive. When you arrive it's such a mad rush, we only had a few days to find our first home once the job was sorted out and we had a deadline to be out of our holiday apartment which was $1000 a week .Aparently S. Spielberg and Tom Hanks are up here at the moment filming a mini series and have rented just about everything going, We are very happy with our house though, certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than renting a family home in London!
And the child benefit we qualify for because we have 2 kids and I'm not working pays half the rent anyway! An unexpected bonus
aX

Bernieboy Oct 19th 2007 11:45 am

Originally Posted by expom (Post 5443410)
Yep, $400/week is the going rate. We looked at a few 2 bed townhouses for under $300 but they all came furnished and were not great and all our stuff was about to arrive. When you arrive it's such a mad rush, we only had a few days to find our first home once the job was sorted out and we had a deadline to be out of our holiday apartment which was $1000 a week .Aparently S. Spielberg and Tom Hanks are up here at the moment filming a mini series and have rented just about everything going, We are very happy with our house though, certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than renting a family home in London!
And the child benefit we qualify for because we have 2 kids and I'm not working pays half the rent anyway! An unexpected bonus
aX

Scrounger:lol:

Baby75 Oct 19th 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by expom (Post 5443410)
aX

when you think about it its not that bad and its still cheaper than renting in Ireland as well you would prob get a i bed apartment window facing a wall for that money here . thats good news about the child benefit i didn't think we would get that how much is it if you dont mind me asking:thumbup::o
niamh

youngy73 Oct 19th 2007 8:32 pm

Hello,
Alyson

enjoy those swims on the beach while you can as they wont last. stingers will be here soon and the water will look like shit during the wet. my wife is a police officer in port douglas and what do you expect them to do with regard to your bag. surely if it was "the bag" you would not have let it out of your sight. you dont even know where it was stolen from. alhtough there is very little violent crime in port be careful as there are a lot of opportunist thefts.

expom Oct 20th 2007 9:36 am

I would expect them to do something rather than nothing, starting with the airport cctv. What a cheery post. Thanks for the welcome. Your post is the only thing thats pissed me off since I've been here. And yes we are making the most of it and are fully aware that it won't last much longer.

black cat Oct 20th 2007 10:34 am

Have to say all sounds lovely, what a shame about your bag- it only takes a professional theif a second to nick something especially in a airport enviroment where its very easy to be distracted. I hope you get it back. Long may your enjoyment continue!:thumbsup:

JoolsB Oct 20th 2007 11:02 am

Originally Posted by expom (Post 5446641)
I would expect them to do something rather than nothing, starting with the airport cctv. What a cheery post. Thanks for the welcome. Your post is the only thing thats pissed me off since I've been here. And yes we are making the most of it and are fully aware that it won't last much longer.

Don't let any neg posts bring you down-sounds like you're experiencing a great start to your new life :thumbsup: Notice you left Twickenham behind-I am still in St Margarets now (but only for 3 more months as Melbourne bound) and whilst I love it esp the riverside walks it doesn't really compare to gorgeous Port Douglas (I honeymooned there 10 yrs ago :wub:). Just wanted to wish you all the best :)

wannabauzzienurse Oct 20th 2007 11:23 am

Hi expom welcome to Far North Queensland :thumbsup: sorry to hear about your bag :thumbdown:

youngy73 Oct 20th 2007 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by expom (Post 5446641)

thats the problem with some of the posters on here. everyones all happy and lovey dovey. oh, how wonderful it all is. people sometimes need to face things how they are and if you let some comment on the internet piss you off god help us.

tripawaymars Oct 21st 2007 9:49 am

Expom

Welcome to the site. I am an ex police officer and my partner still in police here in the U.K. We are coming to Cairns in March 2008..would love to live Port Douglas ourselves but think we will be somewhere in between Cairns and Port Douglas for work..maybe Trinity Beach or Kewarra.

I think Youngy just being practical with police comment. Police in U.K aren't very interested in bag snatches either..unless witnesses or known CCTV. If you knew exactly where it was snatched fromt hen airport should check CCTV and if they have anything take it from there..otherwise it is a lost cause!! Don't let any posts get you down. I live in manchester..veryhigh crime rate and can't wait to get out there to live.

Port Douglas has a low crime rate and so does Cairns when you compare itto England. Good luck and it is true "it is paradise". I love the area and appreciate whata special part of the world it is. keep posting, good to hear other people living in cairns area on here. I will be one soon!!!

wardy2 Oct 22nd 2007 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by youngy73 (Post 5448020)
thats the problem with some of the posters on here. everyones all happy and lovey dovey. oh, how wonderful it all is.

Except for grumpy geordies :p

Bah humburg

tripawaymars Oct 22nd 2007 2:01 pm

You geordies will probably be out there before us (one southern lass and one yorkshire lass)!!!!